upgrading pickups !

Diocletian

Reaction score
The JB should work well enough, although it can be perfect in one guitar and not that great in another. It's a picky pickup if you get what I mean.
The Jazz I've never liked. Lacks output, lacks character, it's just a bland, boring neck pickup. You'd be better with a 59 for the neck IMO. What kind of music will you be playing? You might be better with a pair of 59's.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You're jumping all over the place there, from active EMGs to passive, low output buckers.

Why don't you first settle on the tone you want and then make a selection based on that?

Tommy71

Reaction score
Hi Diocletian!, i play most hardrock/Metal.. anyway, i dont want spend more than 150€ for these guitar pickups, to me that JB set is nr1 now also, but, those EMG's interst too for Metallica sound.. hmmm

Tommy

Diocletian

Reaction score
I thought the EMG HZ set was the passive set? That's not what Metallica use.
You'd be as well just watching Ebay for used JB's, Invaders, Distortions or whatever.
Or check out the trading area on this forum, there may be someone selling something useful there.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You're jumping all over the place there, from active EMGs to passive, low output buckers.

Why don't you first settle on the tone you want and then make a selection based on that?
ENG HZ pickups are passive.
I agree with the rest of your post, though. :thumb:

AnthemBassMan

Reaction score
Well early Mustaine/Friedman of Megadeth used the JB bridge p'up and so did Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains. I'd say that covers a fairly heavy tone. Honestly, I think the Duncans are better quality than the passive EMGs. But then again, I've never been an EMG fan at all.

L8R,
Matt

Latest Threads