Upgrading my Traditional Vs purchasing a brand new R9

SeventySeven

Reaction score
A couple years ago I sold a few guitars, a bunch of pedals, and everything I didn't use in the studio worth any money for my first Historic R8. I would do it again and I have no regrets,..so I did. I sold the r8 and my kemper(hated) and bought an even better r8. Before that though I tried a few standards, the tribute almost did me in, but none came close to the feel of the historic. I would get the holy grail r9 and never look back.
P.S. many would change the pickups no matter the guitar unless its vintage, but not antiquities... Wolfetones!

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
Swapping pickups might not be enough. If the sound isn't grabbing you, it's probably time to move on entirely. Nice looking guitar though, BTW.

You don't need to swing for the fences and get an R9. An R8 or R7 will be 100% as good tone wise but with a less flamey top is all. Save some $$$ and get the R8, and sell the Traditional.

C_C_King

Reaction score
I hear you, I've been there...
I have upgraded the bridge and tailpiece with ABM historics. It makes difference like day and night. I made a vidoe for the change, you can fimd it in my old threads.

Then I changed 57 classics with Montys set. I also upgraded caps etc. Man, theae pickups sound so lovely..

Finally I upgraded the pots, because i checked the original ones and they were around 300K. That also made a big difference.

Result is, the guitars sound changed like day and night. That dull sound of the guitar definetely gone.I am very enjoying it. Still, would I buy another reissue yes, but just because for fun. For example just because i like goldtops etc. Not because of they sound better etc..
20211002_093910.jpg

Jorbissian

Reaction score
I hear you, I've been there...
I have upgraded the bridge and tailpiece with ABM historics. It makes difference like day and night. I made a vidoe for the change, you can fimd it in my old threads.

Then I changed 57 classics with Montys set. I also upgraded caps etc. Man, theae pickups sound so lovely..

Finally I upgraded the pots, because i checked the original ones and they were around 300K. That also made a big difference.

Result is, the guitars sound changed like day and night. That dull sound of the guitar definetely gone.I am very enjoying it. Still, would I buy another reissue yes, but just because for fun. For example just because i like goldtops etc. Not because of they sound better etc..
View attachment 563706
It's beautiful !

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Yes mate, pots, caps, & new wiring make a big difference too.
I recently installed SD's JB & '59 pups into a 1972-3 Greco LP that has the "Gneco" on headstock, pancake body with chambering & bolt on neck
The friend I did the job for says he couldn't be happier, the original Maxon pups were good too but the SD's are way better & he can't stop playing it !

Burty459

Reaction score
I have a 2008 R9 for sale, based in Portsmouth, has a great top, all candy, COA, strap and lead etc if you’re interested?

Latest Threads