Upgrading from a Standard Historic to a True Historic

gary moore 92

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone among you has played Standard Historics and True Historics.
I know the differences between both on paper but wanted to know if anyone on this forum has actually tried both guitars and could sum up their experience. Would you say the difference in price is just because of the extra labor processes the TH comes with or is it truly two different animals and the high price justified (compared to a SH)? Also I'd like to know if its same quality wood between both product lines.

I'm myself owning a R8 from 2016 and it's great. However, you know how it is... I'm considering a TH.

Do you guys think it's worth the "upgrade"?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That depends entirely on your priorities, what matters most to you in a Les Paul. A True Historic will be the most accurate recreation of a vintage Burst you can get from Gibson, so if that's important to you it will be an improvement. Will it play/sound different? Of course that depends entirely on the guitars being compared, just as it does with all of them. So if those are your priorities, there is no succinct answer to your question.

gary moore 92

Reaction score
I definitely put sound before looks of a guitar. However, both to me are quite important.
I like the R9 tops more than my R8's plaintop and am looking for a killer Top.
Another point is the thinner finish on the TH's which to my eyes simply looks better than the R8's high gloss.
No idea if the thickness of the finish makes a relevant difference in sound. They say thin nitro makes it breathe better but does it seriously do that?

I'm not following the "it needs to be as close as possible to a real burst" hype, just simply want the best Les Paul possible in terms of sound/personal preference in looks.
Therefore, I wanna know if a TH has higher class wood than for example my 2016 R8. I might be mistaken but from what I've seen, the highest LP Standard Reissues have a lower weight than mine which is exact 4kg. So maybe there truly is a difference in terms of quality? All TH tops I've seen so far look insanely good as well to me.

I'm aware it comes down to the individual guitars you compare. Just wanted to know if it's better materials being used on the TH models.

DanD

Reaction score
In my experience with both THs and '14 Standard Historics it comes down to the finish appearance and the rolled binding.

To my eyes the TH finish surpassed Custom Authentic as my favorite Gibson finish.

I could care less about plastics or pup covers. The hand sanded finish tho is my first choice among all Gibson finishes.

The rolled binding makes a huge difference in playing feel to me. To me the playing 'feel' alone is worth the upcharge.

I'd say play a TH back to back with a Historic and see if you feel any difference.

Both my THs have lower frets which also changes the playing feel. I personally like these lower frets. Many do not.

It's really a personal preference. You need to play some THs to see if these TH 'features' appeal to you.

As far as materials/ wood goes TH was the top tier so I'd guess the best woods were used.

My '15 BB7 weighs in under 8.5 pounds and is extremely resonant. But My '11 Dave Carpenter Hand Picked R9 weighs in under 8 pounds and is just as good sound wise.

But for playing feel the THs blow the DCHP and my '14 Benchmark Limited R9 Bloomfield out of the water.

The 'feel' difference is night and day and those earlier R9s are no slouches!
:cheers2:

Last edited:

framos

Reaction score
I'm myself owning a R8 from 2016 and it's great. However, you know how it is... I'm considering a TH.
If your guitar sounds great, save the money, or simply get another one if your GAS is hitting.

jam81

Reaction score
try the 2018 historics, they have almost all the TH appointments for a cheaper price. CME has some killer ones for even cheaper if you don't care for the serial number, I have one and it just rocks!

Lebond

Reaction score
I've owned a 2014 R9 Standard Historic and currently own two 2015 '59 True Historics.

For feel/playability and sound I don't think there's that much difference. The only reason I decided on the True Historics was that I prefered the colours available, the colour of the plastics and the amber lacquered finish. There is also a bit more attention to detail on the finish of the True Historics, the fret work on my two is (almost) flawless.
I'd keep your Standard Historic if you're happy with how it feels and sounds and you're not bothered about the colours and upgraded plastics etc.

Last edited:

KBMelb

Reaction score
My first venture in to Custom Shop guitars was a '14 R8. Later I bought a '14 R7 and my TH58 was a far more comfortable neck. The rolled binding was huge for me. The finish was nicer on the TH and all the rolled edges were a nice touch and just made it feel more comfy. I don't know if it was actually what they did in the 50s but it was nicer feeling guitar than my '14 Rs. I'd actually say it was worth the $1200 premium over an R8 to me but I could see it not being worth it to someone else.

As far as tone, they all sounded great, the R7 being the king to my ear but I couldn't jive with its neck.

My favorite aspect of the TH is the Vintage Cherry is fading like I'd imagine a late 50s guitar would. With about 60 hours of sun exposure I have a really cool "red sky" fade happening. Probably killed resale value but I love the look now...and... If I get tired of it I know I can set it out in the sun and get a different look.

Farquad

Reaction score
Its predominantly feel. Most of that line was blurred when they started rolling the necks of the standards in 2016.
I love the TH's and have owned 9 of them (still have 8). However, my 2016 standard is so close in feel that it might as well be a TH.
If I were looking at getting another LP, I would certainly look at TH's, but I wouldnt exclude standards.

gary moore 92

Reaction score
In my experience with both THs and '14 Standard Historics it comes down to the finish appearance and the rolled binding.

To my eyes the TH finish surpassed Custom Authentic as my favorite Gibson finish.

I could care less about plastics or pup covers. The hand sanded finish tho is my first choice among all Gibson finishes.

The rolled binding makes a huge difference in playing feel to me. To me the playing 'feel' alone is worth the upcharge.

I'd say play a TH back to back with a Historic and see if you feel any difference.

Both my THs have lower frets which also changes the playing feel. I personally like these lower frets. Many do not.

It's really a personal preference. You need to play some THs to see if these TH 'features' appeal to you.

As far as materials/ wood goes TH was the top tier so I'd guess the best woods were used.

My '15 BB7 weighs in under 8.5 pounds and is extremely resonant. But My '11 Dave Carpenter Hand Picked R9 weighs in under 8 pounds and is just as good sound wise.

But for playing feel the THs blow the DCHP and my '14 Benchmark Limited R9 Bloomfield out of the water.

The 'feel' difference is night and day and those earlier R9s are no slouches!
:cheers2:
That's been really helpful. Thanks! I'm totally into the finishes of the TH's as well and have a 335 with rolled binding. It feels smoother indeed but I'd be fine without it too. The plastics might look more authentic but to me - just like to you - they don't better much.
Most likely I'll either get a 59 TH in Dark or Cherry Sunburst. I simply fell for the R9 tops... cannot help it

gary moore 92

Reaction score
Its predominantly feel. Most of that line was blurred when they started rolling the necks of the standards in 2016.
I love the TH's and have owned 9 of them (still have 8). However, my 2016 standard is so close in feel that it might as well be a TH.
If I were looking at getting another LP, I would certainly look at TH's, but I wouldnt exclude standards.
I tend to go for a sick R9 TH instead of getting a second Les Paul right now.
Im not much of a collector :D

gary moore 92

Reaction score
try the 2018 historics, they have almost all the TH appointments for a cheaper price. CME has some killer ones for even cheaper if you don't care for the serial number, I have one and it just rocks!
What exactly is the difference between both lines? From what I know the newest Standard Reissues come with same TH plastics. I tend to go for a TH since I got a decent offer which is in the price range of buying a new Standard. But thanks for the advice!

gary moore 92

Reaction score
My first venture in to Custom Shop guitars was a '14 R8. Later I bought a '14 R7 and my TH58 was a far more comfortable neck. The rolled binding was huge for me. The finish was nicer on the TH and all the rolled edges were a nice touch and just made it feel more comfy. I don't know if it was actually what they did in the 50s but it was nicer feeling guitar than my '14 Rs. I'd actually say it was worth the $1200 premium over an R8 to me but I could see it not being worth it to someone else.

As far as tone, they all sounded great, the R7 being the king to my ear but I couldn't jive with its neck.

My favorite aspect of the TH is the Vintage Cherry is fading like I'd imagine a late 50s guitar would. With about 60 hours of sun exposure I have a really cool "red sky" fade happening. Probably killed resale value but I love the look now...and... If I get tired of it I know I can set it out in the sun and get a different look.
Nice to hear you're enjoying your TH, I've been drooling over the Cherry Sunburst version lately. One of the best finishes I've seen for sure. It's small features to the TH but I guess once you have them, you don't want to miss those :D

gary moore 92

Reaction score
If your guitar sounds great, save the money, or simply get another one if your GAS is hitting.
Guilty.
It's hitting so hard, I literally consider trading two custom shop guitars in for one TH.
Can't help it...

jam81

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between both lines? From what I know the newest Standard Reissues come with same TH plastics. I tend to go for a TH since I got a decent offer which is in the price range of buying a new Standard. But thanks for the advice!
difference between the CME and reissue from Gibson? CME custom picks the tops and everything, they use all the 2018 historic appointments just as Gibson does, the main difference is they hand pick everything themselves, use CME on the serial number instead of the regular 9-XXXX.

Latest Threads