Upgrades on 2016 R8

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I've purchased a 2016 R8 in faded Tobacco finish in February this year. Since I wasn't really inspired by the standard electronics I decided to commit for few upgrades, similarly to what I already done on my ebony 335.

Below you can find the R8 HGND thread:

and the 335 modification thread:

Let's have a looka the parts first. I've chosen a Crazyparts 50s style harness with Luxe Bumblebee and Throbak SLE-101 pickups:

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Unfortunately, here in Europe I was only able to source the Throbak pickups with unaged covers. Clearly they wouldn't suit the VOS finish of the guitar. I therefore decided to do some light aging. Overtime I developed my own method.

I need of course to remove the covers first. Soldering Iron has to heat up:

Back of the pickup:

After melting the solder joint I quickly break it with a thin but stiff knife:

Cover removed:

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
My aging method relies on diluted etching solution. So I need to mix the bath first:

Then I mask the strings area with thin masking tape to limit the aging there. After applying the masking tape I've degreased the cover perfectly with alcohol:

Here's the result after dipping it for few seconds in the etching bath:

I know, it doesn't look very good. But I will make it look better in the next step.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
It's now time to remove the excessive patina. My method relies on polishing with a fine grit micro mesh and polishing compound:

Here's the result after some elbow grease. I only like really light aging:

It's difficult to catch the strings lines in the picture but they are there.
In person the result looks really similar to covers that have been factory aged by throbak.

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
It's time to complement the new pickups with some proper mounting rings. I've contacted Steve from vintage heaven and after some chatting over email, I've ordered a set of lightly aged M-69 rings in bone tint. I must admit I'm very pleased with the way they look:

All assembled:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Time to fiddle with the guitar itself. Here she is all set:

Blocked the abr-1 thumbscrews with some masking tape and took note of the standard pickups height:

Now the strings can be removed:

And the control cavity plate can be finally removed:

Original wiring close-up:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
The guitar back has been all covered up to avoid wrecking the precious finish:

Pickups leads unsoldered:

Now the pickups can be removed:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
It's now time to remove the original knobs and uscrew the pot nuts:

Switch leads marked and original harness removed:

Original harness compared to the new one:

New harness in situ:

New pickups in situ as well:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Everything soldered up:

Back plate re-installed. I also took the time to replace the Gibson custom medallion with the black plastic switch cover, that I like better:

Of course before closing it back, I tested the electronics and everything was working mighty fine!

Last edited:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Very nice and tasteful upgrades, I must say. I think you improved the guitar tenfold.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Ok since I improved the sound of the guitar, it was worth taking the chance to do some cosmetic changes as well.
The M-69 rings are not the only bits I've ordered form Vintage Heaven.

Here's the truss rod cover compared to the standard one. Roll marks are really difficult to show in photo:

Vintage heaven top hat knobs VS Gibson to hat knobs:

I also noticed the original knobs were all cracked, even if I've never removed them before. When I purchased the guitar they weren't cracked so I guess it develop over the span of few months.

Knobs installed:

Vintage heaven switch ring VS Gibson switch ring:

Switch ring installed:

Guitar gets finally stringed up and pickups adjusted:

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
With the new parts, the stock switch tip was really looking out of place. Fortunately, I had a spare historic switch tip laying around.

First step was to remove the factory casting marks by sanding it with micro meshes. Top has been flattened out a bit as well:

Then I sprayed it with few cots of amber nitro lacquer:

Final results compared to original:

Installed. Picture looks darker than reality:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Oh I also almost forgot to mention, that I took a departure from vintage correctness and installed a Faber aluminum stop tailpiece and locking studs, aged by me:

The look is similar to the original setup, but it will make string changes a breeze when gigging. It should also add a little bit of sustain.

Here' s the finished guitar:

I'm now really eager to sound test it !!!
Unfortunately I won't be able to play it today. I wil be having some studio time tomorrow morning !!

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
I’ve also a jack plate, a knurled switch nut and a new pickguard coming in. I’ll update the thread as soon as I receive the parts.

Last edited:

emerald81

Reaction score
Great job, love that aged vibe. And tobacco burst its beauty.

Good data because I need to age some new hardware in a 14 years old les paul now. Thanks.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this before, but nice job with a lot of really good choices on parts, IMO. Thanks for documenting!

Latest Threads