Upgraded wiring on Epi Lee Malia

sdnesmithcpa

Reaction score
The chronic tinkerer in me decided to upgrade the pots and caps in my Lee Malia and convert to 50s wiring with independent volume controls.

I bought vintage CTS 500k pots from Amp Parts, Cabinets, Guitar, Bass, Pickups, Pedals - Mojotone.com as well as the 500k CTS push/pull pot for the coil split. I used Orange Drop caps and also changed out my jack plate (the gold appeared to be wearing off), mojo 3-way short toggle, switchcraft output jack and braided wire.

After two days of dealing with crappy soldering irons and figuring out how the alpha push/pull was wired, I'm done and I must say the sound improvement is awesome. My P94 was a bit muddy before and the bridge in single coil mode lost volume. Everything is much brighter overall and I find myself turning the amp down now. I'm really happy with the new sound!

Shawn

Tazz3

Reaction score
Congrats it must sound nice u wanna make a trip to ny to work on my LP lol

Frogfur

Reaction score
Isn't the P94 a single coil? With a 500k pot?

BetoJr

Reaction score
The chronic tinkerer in me decided to upgrade the pots and caps in my Lee Malia and convert to 50s wiring with independent volume controls.

I bought vintage CTS 500k pots from Amp Parts, Cabinets, Guitar, Bass, Pickups, Pedals - Mojotone.com as well as the 500k CTS push/pull pot for the coil split. I used Orange Drop caps and also changed out my jack plate (the gold appeared to be wearing off), mojo 3-way short toggle, switchcraft output jack and braided wire.

After two days of dealing with crappy soldering irons and figuring out how the alpha push/pull was wired, I'm done and I must say the sound improvement is awesome. My P94 was a bit muddy before and the bridge in single coil mode lost volume. Everything is much brighter overall and I find myself turning the amp down now. I'm really happy with the new sound!

Shawn
Sorry to post on this old thread, but could you show me pictures of how you wired the push/pull pot. Id like to do the same to my LP Lee Malia. Thanks

sasquatch

Reaction score
That sounds great. I did a rewire on my '55,
27121359759_8cfb6b3717_h.jpg

but I've been hesitating with the others due to the push-pulls.
Still scratching my head about it

Charlize

Reaction score
Get a good soldering iron. One purchase here can last decades. A bad soldering iron is bad for your waste of time and difficult to work with. If you had this frustrating journey, treat yourself to a quality tool. Even used rarely it is worth it for you to have.

Latest Threads