Upgrade Tokai Love Rock (not MiJ) or switch to Gibson

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upgrading cheaper guitars are great for your learning experience.

Modifications and customizations are a lot less punishing.

It’s also a great starting point for your search for tone and sound.

This means you will know better what to look for in a Gibson when the time comes.

If the upgrades and mods get to a certain cost, consider getting an intermediate guitar.
Be it a higher grade Tokai/Epiphone or even an entry level Gibson Tribute.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Upgrading cheaper guitars are great for your learning experience.

Modifications and customizations are a lot less punishing.

It’s also a great starting point for your search for tone and sound.

This means you will know better what to look for in a Gibson when the time comes.

If the upgrades and mods get to a certain cost, consider getting an intermediate guitar.
Be it a higher grade Tokai/Epiphone or even an entry level Gibson Tribute.
I get the value in doing upgrades. But would respectfully disagree with the last paragraph. Unless budget is an issue, if OP wants a Gibson standard; why upgrade to an intermediate guitar like Epiphone or Tokai, or Gibson tribute? Seems like adding an unnecessary middle step and taking an extra cost to just getting the Gibson standard?

If the OP has their heart set on a Gibson standard, an epiphone or Tokai, or even a Gibson tribute isn’t gonna scratch that itch and getting a second Tokai would certainly be redundant since they already have a decent Tokai now.

Best of both worlds, OP can keep and mod the current Tokai for learning purposes and getting to have a second beater Les Paul. And if OP is okay with the overall cost and still has their heart set on the Gibson standard, then they can also get the Gibson standard and have that be their main guitar. But I’ll still stand by my original recommendation to get the Gibson standard if that what the OP really wants.

I own and like my epiphone and know the Tokai and Gibson tribute models are well regarded but if the OP has their heart set on a standard and they can get it easily, getting anything else doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the value in doing upgrades. But would respectfully disagree with the last paragraph. Unless budget is an issue, if OP wants a Gibson standard; why upgrade to an intermediate guitar like Epiphone or Tokai, or Gibson tribute? Seems like adding an unnecessary middle step and taking an extra cost to just getting the Gibson standard?

If the OP has their heart set on a Gibson standard, an epiphone or Tokai, or even a Gibson tribute isn’t gonna scratch that itch and getting a second Tokai would certainly be redundant since they already have a decent Tokai now.

Best of both worlds, OP can keep and mod the current Tokai for learning purposes and getting to have a second beater Les Paul. And if OP is okay with the overall cost and still has their heart set on the Gibson standard, then they can also get the Gibson standard and have that be their main guitar. But I’ll still stand by my original recommendation to get the Gibson standard if that what the OP really wants.

I own and like my epiphone and know the Tokai and Gibson tribute models are well regarded but if the OP has their heart set on a standard and they can get it easily, getting anything else doesn’t make sense.
Sure thing, I don’t disagree with you.

I firmly believe there’s no point in buying a guitar if you’ll still wish you’d brought home another.
 (Not only guitars, but anything really.)

But it seems that OP is just getting started.

Maybe he’ll turn into a Strat guy, who knows (lol).

There is huge a gap between a Tokai made in China and a USA Gibson Standard.

That’s where the intermediate guitar comes in.

There are endless specs to a Gibson Standard.

Some experience prior to a nice acquisition won’t hurt.

He’ll know what to appreciate and value other than the logo on the headstock.

I also get the idea of feeling “deserving” of an expensive guitar when you are first learning how to play. If money is not an issue, OP should go for the Standard.

His choice will probably be based purely on cosmetics though.

But again, I don’t disagree with you!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Sure thing, I don’t disagree with you.

I firmly believe there’s no point in buying a guitar if you’ll still wish you’d brought home another.
 (Not only guitars, but anything really.)

But it seems that OP is just getting started.

Maybe he’ll turn into a Strat guy, who knows (lol).

There is huge a gap between a Tokai made in China and a USA Gibson Standard.

That’s where the intermediate guitar comes in.

There are endless specs to a Gibson Standard.

Some experience prior to a nice acquisition won’t hurt.

He’ll know what to appreciate and value other than the logo on the headstock.

I also get the idea of feeling “deserving” of an expensive guitar when you are first learning how to play. If money is not an issue, OP should go for the Standard.

His choice will probably be based purely on cosmetics though.

But again, I don’t disagree with you!
Got it! Thanks for clarifying. All solid points, def on the same page.:cheers2:

Theador

Reaction score
Thanks for all the useful comments; I found a LP Standard, Iced Tea 2010 that I fell in love with yesterday. Collecting tomorrow :). I’m thinking of keeping the Tokai now as well and as a few said, play around with adding CTS pots, locking tuners etc. My daughter has always liked the look - although not the weight - of it so no harm in having it around.

As rightfully said, yes a lot of the decision had come down to look of the guitar as I don’t have a ‘style’ or particular ‘need’ or desired sound of a guitar yet. I just figured I’m not going to lose the money, interest rates are low in the bank so the money is as safe in the Guitar

Theador

Reaction score
I feel what all the fuss is about now :)
IMG_3017 (1).jpeg

Theador

Reaction score
Wow, gorgeous Les Paul! I’m a sucker for darker bursts like this one, it looks fantastic. The fretboard looks nice and dark as well. Looks like a great find. Glad you’re enjoying it! Congrats. :cheers2:

thanks I really like it. I was looking out for a red flame top But this caught my eye. Plays really nice and looks good too.

Theador

Reaction score
This one looks amazing!
Congrats!! Enjoy it!
How do you like the sound and playability compared to the Tokai?

It’s in a different league completely. Sustain is incredible, neck profile and width is perfect; the Tokai was a little tight for my fingers at the head. it’s just generally more enjoyable to play

moreles

Reaction score
In this case I would just spare the money now to reach this goal earlier.
This is good advice, based on my own experience and preferences. I upgrade cheaper guitars all the time because I can do all my own work, but I do not invest $ in this anymore because it's lost money when you move on to a better instrument. I have never found that I end up prefering and playing a "cheap" guitar when I subsequentlyt purchase a substantially bettrer (and $) guitar. I've done some excellent rebuilds and upgrades, but the bottom line is that guitars that were genuinely created at a higher level are better. Fussing over the difference between a Studio and an upgraded Tokai is, IMO, a sort of unimportant distinction between two very good, not great guitars. I would rather spend time playing than wondering if a pickup change might -- or might not -- make one or the other a little "better." I'm patient, so I don't do impulse buys, and over they years I have always bewen able to own better and better guitars without having to cut off one of my arms to pay for them. I much prefer used.

Theador

Reaction score
This is good advice, based on my own experience and preferences. I upgrade cheaper guitars all the time because I can do all my own work, but I do not invest $ in this anymore because it's lost money when you move on to a better instrument. I have never found that I end up prefering and playing a "cheap" guitar when I subsequentlyt purchase a substantially bettrer (and $) guitar. I've done some excellent rebuilds and upgrades, but the bottom line is that guitars that were genuinely created at a higher level are better. Fussing over the difference between a Studio and an upgraded Tokai is, IMO, a sort of unimportant distinction between two very good, not great guitars. I would rather spend time playing than wondering if a pickup change might -- or might not -- make one or the other a little "better." I'm patient, so I don't do impulse buys, and over they years I have always bewen able to own better and better guitars without having to cut off one of my arms to pay for them. I much prefer used.

I played a LP standard 2010 and fell in love with it. It now sits in my front room; I’ve played it more in the last two days than I did in the last month on the Tokai. What a piece of kit!

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I played a LP standard 2010 and fell in love with it. It now sits in my front room; I’ve played it more in the last two days than I did in the last month on the Tokai. What a piece of kit!
Glad this all worked out for you. My first Les Paul is also a 2010 ... a flawless instrument.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, I hope you got a good deal on the Standard, they are definitely nice guitars as well as the Traditional and the Classic, all wonderful guitars.

Congrats again and enjoy her for a long time.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Nice Score. Thats a very nice Gibson. Congrats. looks like what i'd call a toffee burst. Sweet toffee mmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Theador

Reaction score
Nice Score. Thats a very nice Gibson. Congrats. looks like what i'd call a toffee burst. Sweet toffee mmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Hehehehe ye the guy selling it said it was iced tea; but yes to me it looks sweeeeeeeter than that :-D

Latest Threads