Upgrade problem grover locking

chookity

Reaction score
so i finally ordered and recieved my locking tuners. i've spoken with the guys at grover through mails, showed them the 1st picture and they said i have normal 102's and that I should get 502 roto-grip because they are a perfect drop in replacement.

when i try to install them, surprise, the screw hole isn't good for the new 502 locking tuners.
am i doing anything wrong? i highly doubt it. This is so frustrating. Now I have absolutely no idea what locking tuners to upgrade to. What to do??

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 30

irocdave12

Reaction score
Turn the tuner until the hole lines up. I dont see what the problem is and I can confirm those are the right tuners to use as I have them too. Don’t tighten the tuner nuts on the face of headstock until last. Get all your tuners and small screws installed then install the nuts around other side. You just have the tuner clocked wrong and the hole is not lined up to receive the screw from my eyes

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1
The standard sized Grovers are the same size.
That offset looks almost like what I saw when I upgraded the Klusons on my '14 to Grovers... sometimes those are just a touch off.

chookity

Reaction score
Turn the tuner until the hole lines up. I dont see what the problem is and I can confirm those are the right tuners to use as I have them too. Don’t tighten the tuner nuts on the face of headstock until last. Get all your tuners and small screws installed then install the nuts around other side. You just have the tuner clocked wrong and the hole is not lined up to receive the screw from my eyes
ok here is another picture. believe me, they just don't align, no matter how i turn then. while the stock ones do.

if i try to force them, the other part of the tuner rises up and stays like a banana with a big space between it and the headstock

Attachments

• 20221004_120147~2.jpg
    20221004_120147~2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 30

irocdave12

Reaction score
Then it sounds like you just have some slight binding going on. I’ve seen these where the holes are a little too tight for the new tuners where old were fine. You should just get in there with a roll of sandpaper and massage the holes a bit as the new tuners should drop right through the holes without any resistance and turn left to right freely until locked down. The hole being off slighty isnt a big deal. They are cast parts and there will be some tiny variations in the castings

Dilver

Reaction score
Is it just that one tuner or that low e hole that doesn’t line up? In other words, have you tried the other tuners in that hole and they still don’t line up?

rbert0005

Reaction score
You could also open up the holes in the tuners a bit.
Your pics look like they line up to me. They will never be perfect.

Bob

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
… they said i have normal 102's and that I should get 502 roto-grip because they are a perfect drop in replacement.
They are a perfect drop-in replacement.
Excellent choice.

I’ve done this exact mod on several of my Gibsons.
I don’t understand the issue either.

Latest Threads