UPGRADE ADVICE NEEDED! Pickups and electronics!

Ferosferio

Reaction score
Good morning. I purchased an older used Ibanez AS103 recently with the intent of upgrading the pickups and electronics for a traditional bluesy machine.

I am looking for advice on both pickups and electronics.

My pickup frontrunners are

Throbak SLE set
Vs
Duncan Antiquity set
Vs
Bareknuckle Stormy Monday/Mule set

I'll need a wiring kit and would like advice on what to purchase as well. Thanks. Rob

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Well, I am biased, but I just got a semi hollow with Antiquities and that's the sound I heard in my head. Not pickups to use for a ton of preamp gain or high volume, due to being unpotted. But the lack of wax makes them delightfully touch-sensitive, which is woderful of you have a style that depends on that.

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I too am biased - I'd go for the Tyson Deacons (TTL-2 set). This set will prevent from any boominess inherent in the semi-hollow design. And they ooze bluesy tone.

Whatever you do, don't get potted pickups. The BK you mentioned are most probably potted.

jlee

Reaction score
Pickups are tough. Too many great winders. Plus, pickups will sound different in different guitars. Had a set of WCR Moore/Greens that sounded like Super Distortions in one guitar, but sounded sweet and low output in another.

Jackson Electronic Luthier makes a great harness with VIPots. Awesome vintage taper.
RS Super Pots are great as well.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Too right. Certain guitars are super strong in their response, others can allow subtleties to shine through.

Throbaks will be made with the most vintage accuracy in your list - I've not had them so can't comment on tone.
Antiquities will be soft in attack, and sometimes can be a bit woolly in the wrong instrument.
BKP's have been hit and miss for me. I have a wonderful strat set that will never be sold and has been killer in any instrument I've mounted them in, but other sets weren't so good. That said, the Stormy Monday would be the set I've eyed up and I'd get myself if I was to buy another set.

mikekim

Reaction score
Good morning. I purchased an older used Ibanez AS103 recently with the intent of upgrading the pickups and electronics for a traditional bluesy machine.

I am looking for advice on both pickups and electronics.

My pickup frontrunners are

Throbak SLE set
Vs
Duncan Antiquity set
Vs
Bareknuckle Stormy Monday/Mule set

I'll need a wiring kit and would like advice on what to purchase as well. Thanks. Rob
I'm A big fan OF BK pickups they all sound great.

I would go with either the BK Stormy Monday (Neck) / Mule (Bridge) set or Riff Raff (Bridge) / Mule (Neck) set and a something like a 335 vintage wiring harness which should fit your guitar.

I run the Riff Raff / Mule combo in my '19 Tribute which sounds fantastic.. I also have a Stormy Monday in the Bridge position of a H/S Strat

Liquid State

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have not tried the other pickups listed in this thread, but I have played the BK's
I can strongly recommend the Stormy Mondays. That is what I upgraded to in my LP Classic (neck and bridge). They are a fantastic blues pick-up. I will say that my experience is with the SM's and a solid body and semi hollows can be much pickier with pups

Dblgun

Reaction score
Recently ordered and installed a set of Brandonwound 59's in one of my guitars. I'm really digging them, Jared does good work. Like most mentioned here they're not a hot pickup more of a PAF clone.

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I actually like the pickups in that guitar.
But different tastes,,,etc.
But I use Toneman harnesses in everything I change.
Check out his site. Lots of options.
Good prices also.