Update on 3D "printed" guns

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
.. Um .. won't the lead or steel or copper of a bullet set off a metal detector ?

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Yeah - nobody EVER seemed to pick up on that.

17 rounds in a Glock Model 17.
Lead is pretty damned dense - shows up like a charm in an X-ray.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
.. Um .. won't the lead or steel or copper of a bullet set off a metal detector ?

Dunno.

Ferrous metals are magnetic. We used to use magnets to test whether something could be easily welded. Iron = no. Steel = yes.
Then there is stainless.
Stainless and some iron is slightly magnetic, but most are non-ferrous.

Brass and copper (and lead) are not.

Do metal detectors only work on ferrous?

Stainless shows up I would think. Many revolvers and pistols are stainless. Certainly my keys (brass) show up when I must enter a court for jury duty (or at an airport).

The tin foil wrapped around a cucumber I put in my...

...never mind.

Chilli

Reaction score
Everything Iv handled out of a 3d printer seemed a bit brittle and soon broke. Use it to shoot a real bullet ? no effin way.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I don't really get this..

Out of all the cool shit you could make he makes a gun.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
They have already printed an AR15 lower and put about 1000 rounds through it before it starts to wear. The technology is pretty cool. What most people dont realize is that in the US it is already legal to build your own firearm with no serial number so long as it is for personal use and complies with current regulations. I can purchase an 80% complete lower receiver and finish the machine work myself with no legal implications.

Thundergod

Reaction score
This is stupid.

Why would you wan to print a functioning gun?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more interesting to get a real one?

Now lets assume you can't get a real one and so you "need" to print one.

Why should you be allowed to?

Lets say you get your hands on a 3D printer and print one... What do you use it for? Stealing something? Killing someone without being detected by security scanners?

If you are planning on using it to steal something, why not just print that something in the first place and not break the law?

If you are planning on using it to kill someone then you shouldn't have the printer, the gun, or liberty anyway.

Strange world indeed.

Me? I'd find a way to print realistic smelling, tasting and looking pizza that does not make me fat. :D

monkeyboy

Reaction score
This is stupid.

Lets say you get your hands on a 3D printer and print one... What do you use it for? Stealing something? Killing someone without being detected by security scanners?

If you are planning on using it to steal something, why not just print that something in the first place and not break the law?

If you are planning on using it to kill someone then you shouldn't have the printer, the gun, or liberty anyway.

Strange world indeed.

Me? I'd find a way to print realistic smelling, tasting and looking pizza that does not make me fat. :D

You aren't allowed to print one or build one if you have been convicted of a felony offense and are no longer allowed to legally own and purchase firearms.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That didn't take long. Schumer is already trying to ban them. :laugh2:

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
This is really not an issue of criminals printing firearms, if criminals are printing anything it would be counterfeit currency. The issue I guess would be manufacturing firearms without the proper licensing and or facilitating that with
free software. Nothing illegal about shareware right ? Nothing illegal about an eligible person making a firearm. Nothing illegal about selling a firearm to another eligible person in a private transaction in most places.

So this is not something legislators need to write any new laws for as I believe those are already on the books in regard to manufacture for sale of weapons.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
This is really not an issue of criminals printing firearms, if criminals are printing anything it would be counterfeit currency. The issue I guess would be manufacturing firearms without the proper licensing and or facilitating that with
free software. Nothing illegal about shareware right ? Nothing illegal about an eligible person making a firearm. Nothing illegal about selling a firearm to another eligible person in a private transaction in most places.

So this is not something legislators need to write any new laws for as I believe those are already on the books in regard to manufacture for sale of weapons.

+1000

Hit the nail on the head. Or uh, hit the primer with the firing pin.

SLewis

Reaction score
The original Liberator pistol is much cooler, and probably a lot safer.

That plastic gun will probably blow up after the second shot.
The original could probably only last 10 shots.

tumblr_mde4pgoWjY1rvhbxso1_1280.jpg

rjshare

Reaction score
do you care if the second shot causes it to blow up if you are already bleeding from a head wound caused by the first one?

also, are we all to assume that 3d printers do and will only ever exist in the usa? so far you american chaps are all pointing out how it doesnt alter a great deal because you can already legally buy guns without checks etc - believe me, in the rest of the civilised world you cant.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
do you care if the second shot causes it to blow up if you are already bleeding from a head wound caused by the first one?

also, are we all to assume that 3d printers do and will only ever exist in the usa? so far you american chaps are all pointing out how it doesnt alter a great deal because you can already legally buy guns without checks etc - believe me, in the rest of the civilised world you cant.

In the US it is requires nearly everywhere to have a background check done for the purchase of a handgun. Rifles and shotguns vary by state. If you build the gun yourself it is legal, however you can not legally sell that gun ever because of the lack of a serial number. There are a lot of implications to building your own which is why most people veer away from it or go with kits purchased which also required a check. The notion that all these law abiding citizens are buying guns with no background check is flawed and highly inaccurate.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
This is stupid.

Strange world indeed.

Answers to your questions:

1) If you print a functioning gun you can be in the possession of it without nobody being aware of it and since it's plastic it's hard to detect.

2) It's more expensive to get a real one and if you have a criminal record you can't get one anyway.

3) The problem isn't whether or not you're allowed, it's enforcing that rule. Saying someone isn't allowed to do something doesn't mean they won't do it. If you have a 3D printer at home theres no way to detect what you're doing.

4) 3D printers are pretty limited in what they can print. Plastic objects, some metal objects, but it's basically just for small parts and nicknacks unless you've got a big industrial sized one that you can print big things with. And even then you still can't print money.

Latest Threads