Update--I have found my new home town-Our lives are changing for the better-

Blues4U

Reaction score
As many of you are aware, I have had a great deal of life changing events occur over the past few months-

Truthfully, all but one of these events were voluntarily, self imposed.

First life changing event thats not self imposed-Daughter problem post-

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/197024-confessions-husband-father-serious-content.html

I decided to leave my employer after over 22 years-

Here's the threads that talk about this, if you care to read--

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/bac...ng-away-gainful-employment-starting-anew.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/bac...ay-my-last-day-after-22-years-same-place.html

And we found an area we really love everything about-

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/207965-jupiter-florida-any-members-near-there.html

We visited Jupiter Florida and fell in love almost instantly-And this is saying something, because Florida is one of those places I visit a lot, but have only found a place or two I would ever consider living.

For those of you that are Facebook friends with me-I would appreciate no mention of this on my page, as there are still people close to us that do not know we have made a decision yet-And I am not making non anonymous announcements until I close on the purchase of the business I have an accepted offer on.

That's right--We have an accepted offer to purchase an existing, profitable business in the Jupiter area.

I have to fly down to look at rental properties to see what will work for us for temporary housing until we are able to sell our current home and also decide exactly where we want to live when we purchase a new home-

The only thing I am apprehensive about is paying the rent in the area-Its obscene compared to what I am use to--But its what I will have to do, at least for a while. Its the price of doing business for now-

I had really thought we would end up in the mountain west, but Southern Florida is where its going to be--:thumb:

The schools are among the best in the country--which was a major concern.

The crime rates are so low, it makes you wonder if real humans live in the area.

The opportunities for my kids individually, and in our family unit to grow and have the best chance at success seems to be alive and well here.

My wife has always wanted to live near the ocean and palm trees-she will get her dream.

I am a life long sportsman-Hunting and fishing and spending time in wild places, as well as on the water is a major part of who I am-This area has decades worth of new places for me to play--I can't wait-:thumb:

The mountains and the prairie still call my name, and I will visit them yearly-I still need to experience the change of the seasons-

I actually have two friends close to this area, and a lose acquaintance when it comes to hunting and fishing buddies-

ALZ said he lives in the area, and actually lives in the area we are looking to find a rental home in-:thumb:

Things are happening quickly and I am going to be a busy MOFO for the next 3 months or so-

Forgive my rambling, I am just excited and since we are not making public announcements to our extended families or friends just yet--I have to tell somebody, lol--

Things are looking up:dude:

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congratz on your big changes.... Regardless of what happens, you've made your moves. That takes balls...

morrow

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck. Beware of old people, humidity, alligators, and turnpikes :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::thumb:

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
Best of luck. I really hope the next few months are easier than you anticipate.

Congrats! :D

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Just remember - hurricanes are NOT a spectator sport.

Plan to evacuate EVERY summer/fall for several days if need be.
Buy your new home with flooding and/or security in mind.

I'm sure you're well-aware, just trying to help. :cool:

Anyhow - good on ya, and congrats on your bold move and sure success! :applause:

Blues4U

Reaction score
Just remember - hurricanes are NOT a spectator sport.

Plan to evacuate EVERY summer/fall for several days if need be.
Buy your new home with flooding and/or security in mind.

I'm sure you're well-aware, just trying to help. :cool:

Anyhow - good on ya, and congrats on your bold move and sure success! :applause:

My wife and I have already had this discussion-

My Denali can pull a big ass trailer-

I, unlike many Floridians, will hit the road with my valuables and irreplaceables when the Big One strikes-

We will be leaving much of our acquired shit here in Indiana with whoever buys it at my big ass garage sale-

guns, guitars, bows and music collections-Family photos, documents, a very few multi generational heirlooms, laptops, the kids important to them things-the animals--I can probably load all this shit into our new travel trailer-with the wife following in the van with the animals---My mid western ass will hit the road, rather than allow myself to be ravaged by a hurricane.

The furniture can be replaced, other than the 300 year old game table--It will go with me--

Might have to load up the deer heads and bear rug:thumb:

:laugh2:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, congratulations to you are in order! :applause:

I have been wondering since you first asked about Jupiter, if you'd actually take the plunge. South Florida is simply gorgeous... I lived in and around Miami for quite a while, and always really liked it.

In general, hurricanes are more survivable the further one is from the coast. I ought to know: I have been through eleven of them so far. In August of 2004 we had to deal with three of 'em in something like twenty days. It was the longest I have gone without a proper shower since I got out of the army. Ah wuzza stank-azz biyach for a while there... :laugh2:

Of course, this thing about the coast is just a rule of thumb. Hurricane Frances stalled out over Deland in 2004 and just pounded the hell out of us for almost eighteen hours straight. Never saw so many trees go down in my whole life and there were plenty of tornados. The roads were so messed up that you almost had to have a motorcycle just to get around afterwards, and that lasted for a week or more. It was crazy!

Sheesh... maybe I shoulda evacuated after all... but I am a civil servant and one of the terms and conditions of my employment is that I will stay put during any hurricane, work through the duration of the storm, and participate in the recovery afterwards.

Eh! Didn't want to turn this into a doomsday thread-- my apologies. But I did want you to know: they are survivable, so long as you stay away from the coast. Usually.

Best of luck to you, man, though I am sure you have your ducks in a row. You know, I love Florida so much that even New Orleans couldn't lure me away... and that is saying something, right there.

--R :thumb:

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Congratulations! Y'all are going to dig it down there. Some of the best fishing in the world at your fingertips too.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Relocation is amazingly stressful, but ultimately rewarding! So glad things are looking up for you, man!

teame1

Reaction score
South Florida................your going to need
adams-air-conditioning-stuart-florida.jpg

Wow a big swing around from Oregan?

Best of luck...........and enjoy your road trip South East. Don't rush it.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Careful your son might want to make one of those Cock Roaches a Pet.

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
I hear that have big bugs there too.

Yeah, are you familiar with the old Southern treat called the Moon Pie?

moon_pie.jpg

That's kinda what the cockroaches are, flying Moon Pies full of mayonnaise.

When I moved to Arizona, several people cautioned me about always shaking out my shoes before putting them on.
Scorpions, ya know.

I explained to them that I was well aware of the hazards of shoe-wear stowaways.
The first time I put on my work boots with one of those fat-ass cockroaches inside...

Lots of paper towels, and a fresh pair of socks. :naughty:

And yes - the fire ants are something you must experience to fully understand.
Ants are ants - fire ants are the spawn of Satan.
Not very big or particularly venomous, but they behave like fxcking Africanized "killer" honey bees.
Swarm yerass, and before you know it you're naked and looking for a water hose.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
On the bright side, since Neo brought up cheap confections that are Southern treats, you'll be able to find Little Debbie's stuff in just about every store, whether they sell food or not. I love these with my coffee, sometimes:

little_debbie_oatmeal_creme_pies_01.JPG

Latest Threads