UPDATE: Finally got my 1st Gibson. Is this normal?

misanthrope222001

Reaction score
I wouldn’t sweat it.
My 2013 R9 was the same they tell me.
Never mattered.
Your right. I'm not too worried about it. Just looks pretty low end without binding there to cover it up (especially with the tool marks). There is zero fret wear so that shouldn't be a concern for a while. Any idea if this makes refretting these a nightmare for luthiers? Thanks for the encouragement!

sonar1

Reaction score
Your right. I'm not too worried about it. Just looks pretty low end without binding there to cover it up (especially with the tool marks). There is zero fret wear so that shouldn't be a concern for a while. Any idea if this makes refretting these a nightmare for luthiers? Thanks for the encouragement!
I don’t luthiers from lutherans, but I doubt it would be a concern they couldn’t handle.

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - If you are disappointed, return it. Was there any mention/indication of the FB laminates in the description or pics in the Reverb ad? If not, you may have a case for return and full refund with no return shipping charges. I also had no knowledge that Gibson has those issues in 2013...glad to learn of it. Without a binding, the FB laminates are readily apparent which may be an issue if you ever resell. Alternatively, if as others say that it is not a problem from a function/stability standpoint, and it doesn't bother you, keep it and enjoy. Otherwise, the body top and back are nice. A little mineral oil on the FB would darken it nicely.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OP - If you are disappointed, return it. Was there any mention/indication of the FB laminates in the description or pics in the Reverb ad? If not, you may have a case for return and full refund with no return shipping charges. I also had no knowledge that Gibson has those issues in 2013...glad to learn of it. Without a binding, the FB laminates are readily apparent which may be an issue if you ever resell. Alternatively, if as others say that it is not a problem from a function/stability standpoint, and it doesn't bother you, keep it and enjoy. Otherwise, the body top and back are nice. A little mineral oil on the FB would darken it nicely.
This /\ /\

misanthrope222001

Reaction score
There was no mention of the laminated board and no pictures of either side of the neck (I would have spotted this easily). I have a couple days to decide. I think I'm going to take some time to get to know the guitar better with my fingers before making a decision. I definitely want a GIBSON Les Paul because it's my dream guitar. I can't really think of any way to minimize the appearance of an unsightly neck long seam unfortunately. My concern is that, after searching MANY hours, I can't find any images that look like mine (pictures of a necks side are hard to come by and unbound necks are even rarer). I believe the expertise I have received by the members here; I just haven't found such a bad/blatant example.

Sinster

Reaction score
I always found that pictures sometimes made it worse than it actually looks.. Personally if I purchased it new I would be fine with it and would hope that it would fall under OEM warranty if it did de-laminate. The only concern I have is that the seller hid it from you. I know it's not the best looking match, but still they should have informed you of it. What, if anything were they trying to hid. Maybe they didn't what to knock any extra money off if you did notice it.

misanthrope222001

Reaction score
I always found that pictures sometimes made it worse than it actually looks.. Personally if I purchased it new I would be fine with it and would hope that it would fall under OEM warranty if it did de-laminate. The only concern I have is that the seller hid it from you. I know it's not the best looking match, but still they should have informed you of it. What, if anything were they trying to hid. Maybe they didn't what to knock any extra money off if you did notice it.
I'll just say I could have gotten a great LP traditional for 75 more shipped, or a PRS S2 singlecut (yellow quilted top) for 80$ more shipped. I paid excellent to mint price.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I bought a Chocolate (faded brown) LP Junior Tribute new last year on discount, and it has the same thing going on, but only at frets 18-22.

It looks a little crappy but not a big deal to me really. I wonder if they used some old laminate board or continue this method?

One thing going for any laminate is it’s a stronger piece for sure! Probably used titebond, but hide glue is “renowned” for its acoustic properties.

murmel

Reaction score
As far as I remember Gibson even did this on some custom shop models. Almost forgot that. India tried to get a higher share of the processing chain, and only allowed export of unprocessed rosewood up to a certain thickness. As Gibson had their stock seized the needed to purchase the thin boards and glue them together, for lower end models they also introduced baked maple I wouldn‘t consider it a flaw. It’s how these 2012 and 2013 models were made. Part of Gibson history. Probably the seller never noticed that.

misanthrope222001

Reaction score
I bought a Chocolate (faded brown) LP Junior Tribute new last year on discount, and it has the same thing going on, but only at frets 18-22.

It looks a little crappy but not a big deal to me really. I wonder if they used some old laminate board or continue this method?

One thing going for any laminate is it’s a stronger piece for sure! Probably used titebond, but hide glue is “renowned” for its acoustic properties.
That's interesting it only shows up at 18-22. It looks like they used titebond but I can't be sure. Have you heard anything about difficulties refretting these down the road?

misanthrope222001

Reaction score
As far as I remember Gibson even did this on some custom shop models. Almost forgot that. India tried to get a higher share of the processing chain, and only allowed export of unprocessed rosewood up to a certain thickness. As Gibson had their stock seized the needed to purchase the thin boards and glue them together, for lower end models they also introduced baked maple I wouldn‘t consider it a flaw. It’s how these 2012 and 2013 models were made. Part of Gibson history. Probably the seller never noticed that.
Who knows, in 30-40 years (if I'm still around) it may command a premium.

murmel

Reaction score
At the same time they also used “Richlite“ a material mainly used to build kitchens on the Les Paul customs as a replacement for ebony, which they also didn’t have. We had long discussions here ....

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
That's interesting it only shows up at 18-22. It looks like they used titebond but I can't be sure. Have you heard anything about difficulties refretting these down the road?
Shouldn't be a problem, the fret isn’t big enough as to cause an issue.

I’m almost 100% certain that Gibson uses titebond on all electrics except for some custom shop models and a few others that cost a pretty penny indeed!

There is a lot of debate about the acoustic properties of hide glue in the acoustic and classical guitar world, in my opinion it’s quite a bit of horse feathers!

Certainly easier for luthiers to work with, but nearly irrelevant in an electric guitar.

Interestingly I have another el cheapo guitar with an Indian Laurel board- it’s looks are similar to Rosewood but it feels more like Ebony, although not as “dry.” I quite like it!

Also have a Hagstrom with its “Resinator” board that I prefer to many others, which is similar to the Richlite composite that Gibson uses. Lower maintenance, longer lasting, feels great and is the same texture all across the board.

Kind of off topic but I want to play the Ironwood boards they were making for a while when the CITES thing took off, or more commonly called Pau Ferro.

Funny to me how guitarists can be so stuck on traditional looks to the point that makers dye Ebony boards and it makes your fingers turn a dirty black! lol

misanthrope222001

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem, the fret isn’t big enough as to cause an issue.

I’m almost 100% certain that Gibson uses titebond on all electrics except for some custom shop models and a few others that cost a pretty penny indeed!

There is a lot of debate about the acoustic properties of hide glue in the acoustic and classical guitar world, in my opinion it’s quite a bit of horse feathers!

Certainly easier for luthiers to work with, but nearly irrelevant in an electric guitar.

Interestingly I have another el cheapo guitar with an Indian Laurel board- it’s looks are similar to Rosewood but it feels more like Ebony, although not as “dry.” I quite like it!

Also have a Hagstrom with its “Resinator” board that I prefer to many others, which is similar to the Richlite composite that Gibson uses. Lower maintenance, longer lasting, feels great and is the same texture all across the board.

Kind of off topic but I want to play the Ironwood boards they were making for a while when the CITES thing took off, or more commonly called Pau Ferro.

Funny to me how guitarists can be so stuck on traditional looks to the point that makers dye Ebony boards and it makes your fingers turn a dirty black! lol
All very true. My Player strat originally came with a Pau Ferro board before I replaced it with a Fender roasted maple 12" radius neck (I LOVE that RM neck, very high quality). I really liked the feel and, unlike many, I loved the unique grain pattern (looked like an artists paint brush stroke across the entire board). It felt a lot like ebony to me. Thanks for taking the time to impart some of your wisdom. It's much appreciated!

Last edited:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
All very true. My Player strat originally came with a Pau Ferro board before I replaced it with a Fender roasted maple 12" radius neck (I LOVE that RM neck, very high quality). I really liked the feel and, unlike many, I loved the unique grain pattern (looked like an artists paint brush stroke across the entire board). It felt a lot like ebony to me. Thanks for taking the time to impart some of your wisdom. It's much appreciated!
Cheers, same to you! I appreciate a good discussion about guitars, and am glad to help, although I’m not so sure it’s much more than experience I can share- Wisdom? On a good day maybe... lol

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I'm not sure you can return the guitar using non-disclosure of a laminated fretboard. Anyone who can google "2013 gibson fretboard" would be able to see it is a feature of the guitar... it's public knowledge. It's not really something anyone should have to disclose. I have a 13 also, and I can barely see the seam, and it isn't visible in photos. The OPs is much more visible.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
Gibson and others have done this on many models- most of the time on the higher end stuff they bind the edge so you don't even know the fret board's been stacked. don't sweat it.

grumphh

Reaction score
Gibson guitars - the only major brand that salvages more wood cuttings from the factory floor than a vietnamese copy shop!!!!

We make our cheap wood scraps your precious guitar!

Quality like no other major brand!!!

timgman

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing. I've LITERALLY dreamed of owning an actual Gibson since 1990; and this is what I waited 30 years for. I'm disabled (can't drive) in a smaller town so internet shopping is basically my only option (I got this off reverb for too much). She plays ok even if she does look like a complete moron cut her board in half.
Dude, It's a beautiful guitar. You're going to rock it rock it !!!!!!!!!!!!! It's actually nice to see a different guitar some times.

Latest Threads