Up Grade time :=)

rbraad68

Reaction score
ok guys it's time to install these parts i bought for my LP classic a couple months ago. i bought some cts pots and caps along with a switch craft toggle and input jack.this will be my first time having to solder all this crap together by my self. i have bought two SYM pickups one 59 and a JB for the guitar. I had recently installed the JB using the orig wire harness but wasn't happy with the tone of the pickup so i got the new pots and caps in hopes that will sort things out..... there will be no push pull going on with this set up. just straight up volume and tone on each pup. I ordered the short shaft pots hopefully not a mistake. here are a few pictures of the pots. any of you guys that have experiance with this stuff please fell free to chime in...

thx guys.

1606576467682.png

Attachments

fry

Reaction score
Very cool. I’ve done that a number of times, and it’s actually pretty easy. You might have to enlarge the holes on the body, the new pots are likely a little larger diameter. I’m sure it came with a wiring diagram, just a few connections, and make sure everything is grounded properly.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Those caps are .047uF (473J). Should be .022uF (223J). Its probably gonna sound shitty . I think the supplier just made a mistake and used the wrong caps. I would contact them. They should send the correct ones .

The pots should be A500K or A550K . Better check those too lol

rbraad68

Reaction score
Those caps are .047uF (473J). Should be .022uF (223J). Its probably gonna sound shitty . I think the supplier just made a mistake and used the wrong caps. I would contact them. They should send the correct ones .

The pots should be A500K or A550K . Better check those too lol

all i can make out on the pot is mojo 500k but the other three i cant make out anything but mojo he has the ground wire soldered on top of the writing on the pots...

also thank you for noticing the caps. i contacted the seller and let him know i recieved the wrong caps. hopefully the seller makes good on that....

Last edited:

Lester

Reaction score
I always put .047 caps in my lesters and everything else.
.047 might make it a little too dark. Depends on your pickups and your preferred sound. Most would suggest using .022 because there are few people who feel that "0" on the tone control isn't dark enough with .022... but there are people who don't think their LP is bright enough.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
For sure, some people prefer the .047 caps. I just assumed that the circuit was supposed to be constructed with .022 caps, as that seems to be the standard. The OP didnt like his tone before, so the .047s probably wont help him.

rbraad68

Reaction score
yeah i believe the caps that are on the stock harness are .047 and the JB sounds way too muddy. i contacted the seller and he's going to send out the right caps... i'll jjust wait to install these pots.

Deftone

Reaction score
yeah i believe the caps that are on the stock harness are .047 and the JB sounds way too muddy. i contacted the seller and he's going to send out the right caps... i'll jjust wait to install these pots.
That's exactly what I use, a JB and an .047 cap...to each his own.

rbraad68

Reaction score
That's exactly what I use, a JB and an .047 cap...to each his own.

well the guy is sending me the .022 caps so i will have the option of trying both to see what sounds better? the stock wire harness is that push pull set up and im not 100% sure what caps are in there?? im assuming the .047 ..

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
well the guy is sending me the .022 caps so i will have the option of trying both to see what sounds better? the stock wire harness is that push pull set up and im not 100% sure what caps are in there?? im assuming the .047 ..
Once you get rid of that push/pull stuff it probably wont matter what value the caps are :p lol

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
You might like the .047 caps. Give them a chance. I have .047s in a few of my humbucker-loaded guitars and I find that with an overdriven amp I get a fuzztone effect when I dial the tone below about "5." If you don't like the sound you can always switch them out. BTW, your solder joints look perfect!

rbraad68

Reaction score
well since the .047 caps are already soldered on the pots i may as well try them out. i can always change them. im thinking that the only one i would really change anyways is for the bridge ( JB ) pick up. the neck pick up ( 59 ) probably want the .047 amyways....

edit** just noticed ur comement about the solder job... i wish i could take credit for that but the pots and caps were already soldered together as a kit.. the guy just soldered the wrong caps on there....

Latest Threads