Unusual problem with neck breaks.

smk506

Reaction score
It's like anything.

The majority of product owners do not seek out online forums.
Two kinds of people do... Enthusiasts, and people with problems......

.....The vast majority of owners are blissfully unaware of these "serious problems" because the reality is that they impact only a very small percentage of owners.

And a Gibson headstock is not going to "pop off" by itself. It's going to take some kind of impact, whether a direct hit or the case falling face-down.
Exactly yes. And a break isn’t guaranteed even then.

You have a beautiful Les Paul - not a lesser one. Just treat it with respect, enjoy it and everything will be fine.
That’s my takeaway as well.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
PRS = better sleep + better guitar.
I’m serious - you’ll never look back.

or a Fender & always use a Hercules Stand.
Problem with that line of thinking is:
1) It's a PRS. I personally find the neck shape one of the most annoying things on the planet and find the tone VERY sterile.
2) it's a Fender. 'nuff said, it's Bloody Fender!

DBDM

Reaction score
I had a Tribute that I loved. I traded it to get my son his first real Mandolin for Christmas. It stayed at the store for many weeks and I saw it there late last week. I made the decision to buy it back but when I called the owner (Sun night) he told me it had sold over the weekend. Now I am sick about it, I have guitars worth 20x what I paid for that Tribute. Yours is a "real" Gibson and a "real" LP.

moreles

Reaction score
Neck breaks are common among negligent owners who can't take good care of an expensive guitar, but rare--as in very rare--among responsible adults. The exception is touring pros whose instruments pass throug many hands and must be placed for easy access in a busy performance space. There, everything breaks, LP necks among them. Though the headstock transition is a weak point in the LP structure, the notion that they all break is utter BS. A fair % of the ones on sale have breaks. That's why they're being sold!

redking

Reaction score
This just happen to pop up on the 'bay . . holy cow how does this even happen . . .

View attachment 519950
I would get this and send it to a luthier to repair if I could get it for a good price (and if it was a 50's instead of 60's model) That's the ideal type of break for a really solid repair.

Unlike this one which is a shite repair.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get this and send it to a luthier to repair if I could get it for a good price (and if it was a 50's instead of 60's model) That's the ideal type of break for a really solid repair.
Exactly.
The asking price is a bit high at $1000.
My wife said that if that were $500 it would be a steal, and I would not disagree. That looks like a clean break with no missing parts.

Ian111

Reaction score
If you don’t play or enjoy it you’re only keeping it safe for someone else who eventually will. Play it enjoy it spend time with it. That’s the only real way you can truly appreciate it.

Ian111

Reaction score
And the thing I like about Gibsons over Fender is that they age well compared to most Fenders. All the wear marks and nicks and scratches look “right” while a poly finished Fender whether a Pro or Ultra looks “tired”.

belthezaire

Reaction score
I’d like to preface this comment by saying that OP’s post is totally fine. We hear stuff all the time online that get repeated by people and OP just wanted to double check and cross reference those myths with people with more experience with Gibson guitars. It’s one of the reason this medium exists and I personally welcome it, because it adds variation to NGD threads, which by the way are also awesome.
Thank you. And especially thank you for taking my questions and concerns for what they are and reacting with understanding and respect. I have certainly appreciated the positive and supportive commentary from those who have a wealth of experience I simply do not have with Les Pauls.

belthezaire

Reaction score
I've learned a lot from this thread and the directions it took me in outside research. I also have really enjoyed hearing about other LP players' experiences. Much appreciation to all.

endial

Reaction score
I've learned a lot from this thread and the directions it took me in outside research. I also have really enjoyed hearing about other LP players' experiences. Much appreciation to all.
Hey, wait!

We haven't seen a pic of your Tribute yet!

Please post a pic (and don't just tell us to look at your avatar), belthezaire!

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Even playing for 20+ years, I've never broken a headstock either, but I don't think you need to be dumb or careless to break one.
Sometimes it's just bad luck, especially if you gig.

Like, when I'm on the studio, I rest the guitar on a stand if I need water break or something, but I'm not going to unplug the cable every damn time I put her on a stand. I know it's an increased risk, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze in this case.

I 100% agree having some kind of strap lock system can't hurt (even if it is one of those rubber locks you put over the regular strap/pins)

Oddball667

Reaction score
The one and only headstock i have ever broken was putting a guitar in a stand to close to a wall , and it was my own fault and not the guitars.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
The exception is touring pros whose instruments pass throug many hands and must be placed for easy access in a busy performance space. There, everything breaks, LP necks among them. Though the headstock transition is a weak point in the LP structure, the notion that they all break is utter BS. A fair % of the ones on sale have breaks. That's why they're being sold!
It doesn't even have to be touring pros. When I was playing live, I swapped to straplocks because constantly taking my strap on and off was making my strap buttons loose, and I didn't know the Schaller screws were smaller than the Gibson screws.

This is what happened after my Les Paul bounced off the stage headstock first.
thumbnail 2.jpg

Some times you're lucky and some time you have shit luck.

Nintari

Reaction score
No doubt. I admitted as much in the first post. So far that hasn't changed anything though. ;)
Maybe you're unknowingly suffering from some low-level OCD issues? I've known people who have that and they have similar, irrational fears as well.

But, as other's have said, the guitar won't suddenly implode on you like a black hole. The neck only snaps if you drop it or it gets dropped. And even then, it's only if it's a really hard (and unlucky) drop. So as long as you take care of it, you'll be fine. Just try to relax.

Latest Threads