Unusual problem with neck breaks.

goodguy

Reaction score
PRS = better sleep + better guitar.
I’m serious - you’ll never look back.

or a Fender & always use a Hercules Stand.

Charliep

Reaction score
I don't have the best of the best, as it were, when it comes to my Les Paul Tribute. I've even heard it suggested that it's "not a real Gibson" ... for whatever reason. Still, it was the best I could afford, and it still is. I had to deliberate over every penny I spent, as many of us do. And, to be fair, I really do love this guitar.

I think that has a lot to do with where I find myself now. I have seen so many different sources (not all here to be sure) about Gibson guitars' neck breaks being pretty much a given, I find myself sort of in fear of actually using the guitar. I look at the the thin and fragile spot where the neck meets the headstock and feel overwhelmed by concerns over it snapping at any given moment for any given reason.

It is an admittedly psychological problem. I can't afford to replace my Les Paul, and the concern over losing it paralyzes me.

Has anyone else hit this sort of stalemate? If you have, how did you overcome the irrational part of the concern?
I have had a Headstock break which I fixed myself (I am not a Luthier ) after researching methods and glues! My headstock break was a result of stupidly getting the guitar cord entangled with my foot after putting the guitar on a stand and walking away. It was not something that will just self destruct on it's own, it was carelessness on my part. That was seven years ago and it is still holding together today and you can't even see the crack repair. My grandson has the guitar now for the last 3 years. He is a teen in his Senior year of school. It is a Gibson LP Faded Cherry with HBs and plays and sounds Great

Suffice it to say, if you take care and don't expose it to carelessness it won't explode on you!

leofender55

Reaction score
Kirk Hammett owns Greenie, which has had a broken headstock and repaired. Kirk said on That Metal Show that Les Pauls with headstock repairs sound better to him. I got a great deal on a Standard in Desert Burst that some kid broke in Guitar Center. A woodworking friend of mine fixed it so you can hardly tell it was broken, and I painted a stinger on the back of the neck. I would agree that it sounds great. I own 6 Les Pauls and it is one of my favorites.

Charliep

Reaction score
Absolutely no one on this forum has ever ripped on my Tribute. I haven't been around here long, but everyone's been really super. The "ripping" come from other places. And not much of it, I might add.

I think I'm going to shop around to see what headstock repairs in my area go for. I think knowing the dollar amount will give me peace of mind, especially if it's not a lot, as you mention.
It is a waste of time to shop around for a headstock repair you don't have to fix! All breaks are not equal, is it going to be a clean break or splintered? Need splines or even a section replaced? The complexity of the break determines the cost of the fix! It isn't worth worrying about spilt milk until it is spilt! Until then be careful to not tip the glass LOL!

DolanGuitars

Reaction score
I don't have the best of the best, as it were, when it comes to my Les Paul Tribute. I've even heard it suggested that it's "not a real Gibson" ... for whatever reason. Still, it was the best I could afford, and it still is. I had to deliberate over every penny I spent, as many of us do. And, to be fair, I really do love this guitar.

I think that has a lot to do with where I find myself now. I have seen so many different sources (not all here to be sure) about Gibson guitars' neck breaks being pretty much a given, I find myself sort of in fear of actually using the guitar. I look at the the thin and fragile spot where the neck meets the headstock and feel overwhelmed by concerns over it snapping at any given moment for any given reason.

It is an admittedly psychological problem. I can't afford to replace my Les Paul, and the concern over losing it paralyzes me.

Has anyone else hit this sort of stalemate? If you have, how did you overcome the irrational part of the concern?
As a repairman in the business for over 40 years I have seen many broken headstocks and the vast majority of them have been on Gibson guitars. True, the popularity of these instruments in rock bands accounts for the fact that there are a lot of them around and being used in a "rough" environment, but it is not the strongest headstock joint ever devised and the overall weight of the average LP doesn't help either. Play it all you want, just don't drop it. If you do you may be visiting someone like me and shelling out $250 or so to return it to a near new state.

captdan61

Reaction score

I have owned several gibson guitars. A 2014 R9 never had a issue. Its replacement is a 2016 R9 no problems lives on a stand in my garage/ practice area. Or a stand in the house or like now resting on my couch. It gets gigged out a lot never a issue. Out door gigs, bar gigs playing on flat bed trucks biker events leather guns knives an booze. Never a problem. I have gigged a few other in Canada, Washington, Idaho ect. One that i bought new in Seattle in 1980 which is now over 40 years old. only problem I ever had is it got knocked up a stage in Canada and I jumped off the stage and cut it just before the headstock hit the ground no brakes on any of them or my SG or a double cut Junior type guitar that I play or any of my Telecaster to strats I've never broken a guitar and I dig everything and I'm not gentle.

Snakum

Reaction score
I've owned a bunch of Les Pauls and have played in bars where brawls were a regular occurrence. Even started a few myself. But (knock on wood) I've never had a break. I take care with them and watch where I place them between sets. Just general precautions.

It's a tool. I use the crap out of it but try to be careful.

Snakum

Reaction score
BTW ... there's NOTHING wrong with a Tribute. I could buy any Les Paul I want but I prefer them and have a owned a few. I like the weight, the non-glossy neck, no board binding, and the satin finish. I even like the 490s. There's nothing lesser about a Tribute.

ScaryFatKidGT

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with a Tribute, don’t drop the fricken guitar

50 Watts

Reaction score
I own more Gibsons than I should and have (knock on wood) never had a headstock break. I have many friends with Gibsons and only know 1 person who had a break. It was knocked off a stand while someone was drunkenly trying to step over it. He had it repaired and you would really never know.

Buy a good strap. Don't leave it laying around and play your LP. Don't worry about it. If you are unlucky and it sustains a headstock break, have it repaired. You'll be out a couple hundred bucks and be kind of pissed off for a while.

Unfortunately, there are those folks out there who would lead you to believe that the neck is poised to snap at any minute. It's not. It may be a little more vulnerable than some others.

FYI, nothing wrong with a Tribute.

Last edited:

martin H

Reaction score
I've had a LP for 40 years. No neck breaks. IME 90% of neck breaks occur when an Gibson falls off a stand, or has been lent against an amp or a wall and falls over. These are completely avoidable. I'd say another 5% involve people accidentally standing on guitars that are laying on the floor.

I've only known two people who managed to break a gibson neck on stage,. One threw the guitar at the drummer. the other was twirling round on stage and struck the head stock on a PA cabinet. Again, both these things were entirely avoidable.

rogue3

Reaction score
I have owned several gibson guitars. A 2014 R9 never had a issue. Its replacement is a 2016 R9 no problems lives on a stand in my garage/ practice area. Or a stand in the house or like now resting on my couch. It gets gigged out a lot never a issue. Out door gigs, bar gigs playing on flat bed trucks biker events leather guns knives an booze. Never a problem. I have gigged a few other in Canada, Washington, Idaho ect. One that i bought new in Seattle in 1980 which is now over 40 years old. only problem I ever had is it got knocked up a stage in Canada and I jumped off the stage and cut it just before the headstock hit the ground no brakes on any of them or my SG or a double cut Junior type guitar that I play or any of my Telecaster to strats I've never broken a guitar and I dig everything and I'm not gentle.
cool.small snapshot of my miniscule club playing past...i was sitting at the back of the club after our set.Gibby out on table, feeling good after a great set,just resting.Local young big 210 lb bloke coke head,gets in a fight,and blows out 4 tables,chairs flying,right towards me.i grab lester,in the nick of time.Nothing but a big dent in the case,which i had abandoned to the melee. no headstock break that day.

when you are onstage,and got irate customers,chicken wire does serve a purpose,roflmao.

Tensjeek

Reaction score

NONSENSE- Anyone that tells you that it’s not a real Gibson Les Paul it’s just being a jerk

Mudbone01

Reaction score
Just send that Tribute to me.... I will make sure it stays safe and unharmed
Just sell the damn guitar. Isn’t that what you are really wanting to hear? You’re driving me nuts with the paranoia. Get rid of it, then go to the Fender forum and discuss your unfounded fears that your whammy bar will break... geeez.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I’d like to preface this comment by saying that OP’s post is totally fine. We hear stuff all the time online that get repeated by people and OP just wanted to double check and cross reference those myths with people with more experience with Gibson guitars. It’s one of the reason this medium exists and I personally welcome it, because it adds variation to NGD threads, which by the way are also awesome.

However, I have to say, we are in some dire need of content for this thread to be going for this long. Gibson, if you’re seeing, please release something beyond controversial for us to argue about. By now it could even be considered the humane thing to do. This pandemic has been really hard on everyone.

smk506

Reaction score
I think it’s natural to be cautious, especially after reading a bunch of horror stories online.

The thing is you aren’t going to find a bunch of people taking the time to randomly post things like ‘my les Paul didn’t randomly break today’ or ‘walking around with my les Paul and the headstock wanged a doorway pretty hard, but everything’s cool.’

It’s like customer service, if a companies good at it, you rarely hear about their reputation, if they sick at it, that’s all you’ll hear about them. It’s like that only worse lol.

On the topic, my only les Paul style guitar with a break is an older tokai custom, it took a serious hit at some point and broke at the neck around the 2nd-3rd fret.

The headstock was and is just fine, and it’s a great playing, great sounding guitar that I bought repaired for a fair price (3/4ish what Inwoukd have paid without the break) from a seller who had no trouble finding a buyer.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like anything.

The majority of product owners do not seek out online forums.
Two kinds of people do... Enthusiasts, and people with problems.
So both fanboi nutcases and people with problems are over represented.
In general, I'm a fanboi nutcase... don't think I've ever sought out a forum because of a problem.

Looking at Toyota forums 2 years ago you'd think that every Corolla CVT transmission had failed. Nope. 120k on mine and it's fine. I had the recall done, they inspected for damage, and found it ship-shape at 90,000 miles.
Same for the Nissan CVT.
And Honda becoming oil burners.
And Ford transmissions
And Duramax sucking down glow plugs.

The vast majority of owners are blissfully unaware of these "serious problems" because the reality is that they impact only a very small percentage of owners.

And a Gibson headstock is not going to "pop off" by itself. It's going to take some kind of impact, whether a direct hit or the case falling face-down.

Latest Threads