Unusual problem with neck breaks.

ARandall

Reaction score
only a Gibson is “good” enough

The Op was scared to play the darn thing..... no matter the design, if you’re scared to use it, not a good fit, regardless of the design
Kneejerk opinions are no way any form of good viewpoint from which to observe the validity of 'fit'. Taking things from a rational perspective where you look at both sides of the topic and analyse facts rather than rumour has always been the best way to make such decisions.

But its interesting to see how the topic has suddenly moved from 'design' to 'fit' :hmm:

shark

Reaction score
neck breaks arent guitar problems but guitar handling problems IMO. necks just dont pop one day and they are broken.

all of the above and I will mention that ceiling fans been known in taking a few headstocks out.

wireless rigs can lead to neck break also around the house if you wack it on a door corner having fun slinging yer guitar around the house muggin for zoom.

only neck I ever seen broken a guy was rolling around on the floor acting a fool and broke his guitar. oh imagine that.

just play the guitar and be aware of your surroundings not in fear of them.

have a good day and go jamm yer butt off :)

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Kneejerk opinions are no way any form of good viewpoint from which to observe the validity of 'fit'. Taking things from a rational perspective where you look at both sides of the topic and analyse facts rather than rumour has always been the best way to make such decisions.

But its interesting to see how the topic has suddenly moved from 'design' to 'fit' :hmm:

let's call a spade a spade, its an awful design, in relation to other companies that make guitars. That said, I fell in love with the brand before I knew better, and I've never personally had an issue with the design, so I continue to take care of my guitars and enjoy them and don't have broken headstocks, and if it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't be any wiser about all the "headstock breaks."

but if the OP can't enjoy his guitar, I really don't care if you call it a fit or design issue, its an issue, IMO, but enjoy your take on it. :laugh2:

ARandall

Reaction score
I can accept your opinion is that its an awful design. Thats fine.....you are quite entitled to anything you want to think.

Objectivity is another thing. And that where everyone has to make their own decision on. But it has to be based on objective facts and reality.
Lets face it, you yourself have said that 'you take care of your guitars and you have had no issues'.
And that is what a musical instrument is designed around. You do not call any acoustic a bad design simply because it can easily suffer from impact damage, nor precisely the same issue with any classical orchestra stringed section instrument. Every one of which also sports a tiltback headstock as an interesting sidenote.

They are all fit for purpose for handling the string tension and being played. Which is the only design parameter required for any guitar.
Its only where you take them beyond the level of fit for purpose where they fail. A design does not become bad simply because it is not indestructible.

The purpose of this discourse is to show the OP a range of scenarios where the guitar can be safely used. If even you, the most cynical of all here so far, admit that the guitars are perfectly fine when they are treated the way they were designed to be, then he should be perfectly sanguine about using his guitar

Leee

Reaction score
I have a '94 Standard that suffered a neck break. No big deal - cheap fix and hasn't moved for over 10 years...
Use straplocks.
Don't leave near children.
I have a ‘93 Standard.
Same thing.
I sold the guitar to a friend of mine 20 years ago.
His son started playing in a band and wanted to use it.
At some point, the headstock got broken.
I bought the guitar back on the cheap in 2014.
The only real harm would be the resale value, which isn’t substantial anyway on the lower end Les Pauls.
Gave me an excuse to hot rod and mod the guitar, and eventually throw custom paint on it.
It’s my avatar pic.

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
I will agree with what many others have said before…
Stupidity breaks the guitar.
Or maybe inattention at a crucial moment.
Straplock cannot not be stressed enough.
Never lean the guitar against anything. Never lay it flat on the floor, a table, or a workbench where any weight is on the headstock.
Not that this alone will break it, but if it gets roughly bumped or something falls on it…

Standard 64

Reaction score
Leaning your guitar against a chair,table or wall is asking for trouble.Handing your guitar to your drunk buddy is a no no.
Use your head,BE the guitar when he or she is moving around.Slow down.if it takes a bad spill,fix it for a few quid and love it even more.Scars are cool.Your cool.Relax bro.Take care my fellow forum ite.Love you man.

sonar1

Reaction score
Good point on that pic. It is a shocker at first glance, but what you say makes perfect sense.

And yes, that's my LP in my profile pic. It is a 2020 and has a maple neck, and I have read that maple is more durable. Honestly, even though it's a "cheaper" GLP without the bells or whistles or binding and has a satin finish ... I love it. The neck finish actually gives it pretty much the same feel as my Strat, which I like. This GLP is likely the most "top end" guitar I'll ever own. I just need to get over being afraid of it, as it were.

This thread has definitely helped, for the most part.

Edit: spelling
Maple neck?
Absolutely NO SWEAT!
If you break that, get a Travis Bean, or Ibanez “ball joint separator” aluminum necked guitars!

Leee

Reaction score
One story, told to me by the singer in a band (which surprised me) was absolutely hilarious.
Especially hearing it in “first person” with all of the facial expressions and not quite resolved emotions…

We had just met, talking after show, and I did not realize that he was actually a pretty good guitar player.
In this particular band, he had a couple of great guitar players with him, so he primarily did vocals.

But in the story he related, they were playing a club show, loud and rowdy rock ‘n’ roll, with a pretty big crowd, and he was playing rhythm on his prized Les Paul Custom while singing lead vocals.

He was centerstage in the lights, and when it was time for this particular guitar solo he would step back from his mic and the guy playing the lead solo would step up to the front of the stage from his right.

The show was going great, the crowd was really into it, and the band was tight. As he backed away from the mic while playing a loud rhythm part, he turned to his left and collided with the bass player who is running behind him from stage right to stage left.

Guitar smacked mightily into guitar, and the headstock snapped off completely.
Fell to the floor.
With all six strings attached to the headstock on one end and the tailpiece on the other.

Suddenly, he’s not playing the rhythm part anymore. He’s not playing anything!
I will never forget the expression on his face when he told me that the first thought that crossed his mind was, “Oh my God, I’m going to have to change all six strings!”

Then he realized that there was nothing to attach any strings to on that jagged end of the neck where the headstock used to be.

Oh, that story made me cringe and laugh at the same time.
Said he sold a beloved Les Paul Custom (built in the 70s, I believe) because it was horrifically damaged and worthless. I understood this to be in the 80s before Guns and Roses, and the Les Paul market was dead.

But he didn’t bother getting it fixed.
Had no idea whatever happened to it.

It’s a shame to think about it, but a lot of those guitars back then wound up as firewood. Stripped of their usable parts and disposed of.

PauloQS

Reaction score
let's call a spade a spade, its an awful design, in relation to other companies that make guitars. That said, I fell in love with the brand before I knew better, and I've never personally had an issue with the design, so I continue to take care of my guitars and enjoy them and don't have broken headstocks, and if it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't be any wiser about all the "headstock breaks."

but if the OP can't enjoy his guitar, I really don't care if you call it a fit or design issue, its an issue, IMO, but enjoy your take on it. :laugh2:
So you personally didn’t have any issues with it, but the internet said it was a flawed design and you went with it? That to me sounds a lot like echo chamber or hive mentality, but you do you.

I currently own one of the superior design guitar and have owned another six, including two S2s, two CEs and the rest all core. The alleged superior design did not exhibit superior tuning stability like the internet likes to repeat. I will say, however, that I’m know how to work on guitars and I will never allow the nut slots to bind the strings. A properly slotted nut will not need locking tuners, string butters or expensive lubes like nut sauce.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey OP

Don't worry about your Tribute. You could always take up violin (see below). I wonder if Maxim worries about snapping the neck off of his Strad after a jam session...LOL!

"The most expensive Stradivarius violins are the ones crafted during what is considered his golden period from 1700 to 1720. These violins are estimated to bid at the starting auction price of millions of dollars. In 1998, Russian violinist Maxim Vengerov purchased the 1727 Kreutzer for nearly $1.6 million. "

We've all seen/played some real pricey guitars that were just duds. The piece(s) of wood used to make them would have served better as canoe paddles! One of my favorite and best playing guitars is my trans-emerald green 1998 LP Special SL (an all-mahogany flat top with no binding and a UV-treated polyester finish) - pic attached. It is toneful piece that I'm currently fitting with P90s pickups in lieu of the stock P100. I bought this in a chain music store in '98. It was on a cheap stand on the floor, covered in dust, never set-up, and ignored by everyone who were more interested in more expensive bling models. I asked the tech to adjust the neck relief and bridge action. After playing it for a few minutes, I realized it had good action was very resonant despite old worn out strings. I walked out with that guitar for ~$400, no case. It's in pristine shape...no scratches/dings...but it gets playtime. I saw one on-line recently in similar shape...asking price was $1,4xx.xx.

Like you, I am also fortunate to own a 2017 LP Tribute Gold Top (no binding or other fancy bling). I hand picked it from an un-opened factory box that was in the back storeroom of my local GC. All the one's they had on the floor were duds. This particular guitar is excellent. I was real lucky. The guitar gods smiled upon me that evening. I got the feeling if they knew they had this particular guitar it would have gone to one of the employees and never made it to the sales floor. My point being...don't knock or put down your Tribute. Like everyone says...just play it and enjoy!! Life's too damn short....

Attachments

Leee

Reaction score
A properly slotted nut will not need locking tuners...
NEED?
No.
I put locking tuners on every guitar I own for the same reason everyone has power windows in their vehicles.
Because I’m lazy.
After God-knows-how-many string changes in my lifetime, I was done.
First mod that happens to pretty much any guitar I buy.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I also never have had any headstocks broken, including my 1979 Gibson Sg Standard I have played very heavily for decades.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
If even you, the most cynical of all here so far, admit that the guitars are perfectly fine when they are treated the way they were designed to be, then he should be perfectly sanguine about using his guitar
please read line 1 of post #5, middle paragraph of #11.

and its not cynical, its realistic. As I've stated in this thread before, use it within its limitations and you're fine. If you're not ok with those limitations, plenty of other guitar makers that make a stronger setup.

Last edited:

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
So you personally didn’t have any issues with it, but the internet said it was a flawed design and you went with it? That to me sounds a lot like echo chamber or hive mentality, but you do you.
LOL, The first time I saw one that been decapitated I figured it out all on my own. You don't have be Magnum P I to understand there are better ways to skin that cat.

I do use the internet sometimes when i do do me though.

danohat

Reaction score
I have never broken a guitar headstock. My Lester is 26 years old now. Has survived 5 moves, me turning 21, the subsequent drunken and partying decade, two kids, a puppy, and two cats.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
If your careful and maintain a simple attitude, you'll never break a headstock. Don't lean it against the wall, don't leave it on a stand plugged in, don't let your idiot neighbor touch it, take steps to secure your strap and it will be fine.

rogue3

Reaction score
op: OK.I've had a couple drops.You really have to qualify the type of drop,and impact,to have a headstock break.No breaks here.

So what can a Gibby neck survive? True story. I was coming back from my studio space late at night.It was dark.I had my Custom in a softcase strapped to my back,and i was on my mountain bike! I did that alot a few years back,travelling to play at clubs with lester on my back....back to story. I was heading home.it was dark.i had had a couple brews...enough to be affected :oops:. A cabby cut in front of me as i was making a lane change.He hit me.I crashed,and did one roll over on the ground with Custom on my back in the softcase with shoulder straps. Got home and opened her up.not a scratch.it was still in tune.perfect.lesson learned,never trust cabbies to signal properly!...:rofl:...and Gibsons are more robust than you are giving them credit for.

Latest Threads