Unusual problem with neck breaks.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Yes. This picture has been beyond misinterpreted. Width at the nut is 1.69”. The diameter the truss rod access cavity is about 0.6”, meaning there are more than 1” combined along the sides of the truss rod cavity. Furthermore, because of the circular shape of the truss rod access cavity, just a few millimeters to the left or right of this cut, and we’d be seeing more material. Yet people seem to be interpreting this as the only thing holding the headstock is the sliver of material at the weakest pinpoint of the neck almost forgetting it’s a 3D shape not 2D.

Edit: To OP, your avatar Tribute looks like one of the modern collection 2019-present Tribute. If so, it has maple neck. Maple is stronger than mahogany.

So it’s a good design and gets a bad rap?

afjungemann

Reaction score
Good point on that pic. It is a shocker at first glance, but what you say makes perfect sense.

And yes, that's my LP in my profile pic. It is a 2020 and has a maple neck, and I have read that maple is more durable. Honestly, even though it's a "cheaper" GLP without the bells or whistles or binding and has a satin finish ... I love it. The neck finish actually gives it pretty much the same feel as my Strat, which I like. This GLP is likely the most "top end" guitar I'll ever own. I just need to get over being afraid of it, as it were.

This thread has definitely helped, for the most part.

Edit: spelling
This is not meant as a dig by any means. It just seems like you are pretty quick to defend your LP without anyone on this thread ripping on it. I am guessing some elitist snobs made you feel like your guitar is inferior. For starters, enjoy the guitar you bought with your money. Good on you for saving and getting a guitar you love.

Next, just enjoy the guitar x2. There will be scuffs. The finish is going to wear off of that guitar pretty fast in spots that you move your arm against. Hopefully seeing the hours and years you put into playing it will just make you love the guitar more.

Broken headstocks can also be fixed for not a lot of money.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Good point on that pic. It is a shocker at first glance, but what you say makes perfect sense.

And yes, that's my LP in my profile pic. It is a 2020 and has a maple neck, and I have read that maple is more durable. Honestly, even though it's a "cheaper" GLP without the bells or whistles or binding and has a satin finish ... I love it. The neck finish actually gives it pretty much the same feel as my Strat, which I like. This GLP is likely the most "top end" guitar I'll ever own. I just need to get over being afraid of it, as it were.

This thread has definitely helped, for the most part.

Edit: spelling
I absolutely love these tributes. They’re so awesome. Very comfortable to play, sound good, and looks great.

belthezaire

Reaction score
This is not meant as a dig by any means. It just seems like you are pretty quick to defend your LP without anyone on this thread ripping on it. I am guessing some elitist snobs made you feel like your guitar is inferior. For starters, enjoy the guitar you bought with your money. Good on you for saving and getting a guitar you love.

Next, just enjoy the guitar x2. There will be scuffs. The finish is going to wear off of that guitar pretty fast in spots that you move your arm against. Hopefully seeing the hours and years you put into playing it will just make you love the guitar more.

Broken headstocks can also be fixed for not a lot of money.
Absolutely no one on this forum has ever ripped on my Tribute. I haven't been around here long, but everyone's been really super. The "ripping" come from other places. And not much of it, I might add.

I think I'm going to shop around to see what headstock repairs in my area go for. I think knowing the dollar amount will give me peace of mind, especially if it's not a lot, as you mention.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no one on this forum has ever ripped on my Tribute. I haven't been around here long, but everyone's been really super. The "ripping" come from other places. And not much of it, I might add.

I think I'm going to shop around to see what headstock repairs in my area go for. I think knowing the dollar amount will give me peace of mind, especially if it's not a lot, as you mention.
Just send that Tribute to me.... I will make sure it stays safe and unharmed

endial

Reaction score
Yeah, that maple neck thing rings true here. Much stronger than mahogany. With that being said, even then, the odds of breaking the neck even on a mahogany neck Gibson are about as frequent, if not less so by averages, as an automobile accident. Don't ask me for numbers, it's just common sense. It's not made of pine. I have an LPJ which is an early-ish version of the Tribute line, if I'm not mistaken, and it too has a maple neck and I love that guitar. Wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe an ES-335 if you get my meaning. Enjoy that dog, it was made to be played.

P.S. I apologize for the car-crash post earlier, but you have to see the point to some degree. You DO have a car, and you DO use it.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Flying-V husk from Stratosphere gave me the biggest scare.
It shipped in a thin box, and was in a thin padded bag.
The body and neck were well padded... the headstock was not.
The point of the headstock had penetrated the bag, and there was a small perforation in the outer box.

Ya... there was literally nothing protecting that headstock from the gorillas at UPS other than the ability of the body to move in the padding if the headstock took a hit.

It arrived just fine with no damage.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling @jvin248 .... here’s a guy who can scare the bejeesus out of you about neck breaks.....he really likes this topic.
LOL!

This guy will have you persuaded that they just pop off all my themselves when your wife is mopping the floor.

Gibson headstock breaks are like guns "going off"... it doesn't happen by itself. Something has to cause it. And that "something" does not happen to 99% of owners.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Its a good design for holding the strings in place, which is its primary design function.

If you were designing a guitar around say banging in tent pegs though, it would fail utterly.

So just don't try banging anything with it and you should be ok.
only a Gibson is “good” enough

The Op was scared to play the darn thing..... no matter the design, if you’re scared to use it, not a good fit, regardless of the design

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I have been buying new and used Les Pauls for almost 30 years - zero neck breaks or concerns - nor do I ever even think about it.

Also I have a Standard & a Tribute 60s Les Paul - in no way do I consider my Tribute inferior in any way.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I have a '94 Standard that suffered a neck break. No big deal - cheap fix and hasn't moved for over 10 years. Happened when I made the mistake of leaving it unattended near my child.
Use straplocks.
Don't leave near children.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been buying new and used Les Pauls for almost 30 years - zero neck breaks or concerns - nor do I ever even think about it.

Also I have a Standard & a Tribute 60s Les Paul - in no way do I consider my Tribute inferior in any way.
Been playing since before cars came with airbags.
I've seen a few broken LP necks, but never knew it was "a thing" until 5 years ago.

Because it's only "a thing" on the internet.

And Epiphone with their "superior" attachment design and shallower headstock angle is no stranger to it....

16574656.jpg

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few broken LP necks, but never knew it was "a thing" until 5 years ago.

And Epiphone with their "superior" attachment design and shallower headstock angle is no stranger to it....

View attachment 519230
That pic just probably pushed the OP over the edge

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score

View attachment 519230
Custom shop where they pre-break the neck for better toanz.

questionman

Reaction score
If it means anything, my 82 with a thin 3 piece neck still hasn’t snapped after all the abuse in the world - sweat, ice cold, hot and humid, drops, hits, people falling on it and the worst one a full can of paint landing on it

I’ve owned ones with repaired headstocks, even broke the headstock on a SG before

If it happens, it’s not a super costly repair. But it certainly won’t happen on its own just from looking at it

Latest Threads