Unusual problem with neck breaks.

belthezaire

Reaction score
I don't have the best of the best, as it were, when it comes to my Les Paul Tribute. I've even heard it suggested that it's "not a real Gibson" ... for whatever reason. Still, it was the best I could afford, and it still is. I had to deliberate over every penny I spent, as many of us do. And, to be fair, I really do love this guitar.

I think that has a lot to do with where I find myself now. I have seen so many different sources (not all here to be sure) about Gibson guitars' neck breaks being pretty much a given, I find myself sort of in fear of actually using the guitar. I look at the the thin and fragile spot where the neck meets the headstock and feel overwhelmed by concerns over it snapping at any given moment for any given reason.

It is an admittedly psychological problem. I can't afford to replace my Les Paul, and the concern over losing it paralyzes me.

Has anyone else hit this sort of stalemate? If you have, how did you overcome the irrational part of the concern?

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I own several Gibsons, and many other guitars too, and I've never had a headstock break off.
Mind you, I've never dropped one either!

1. Use strap locks
2. Don't leave the guitar on a stand with the cable attached, or leaning against an amp.
3. Only lend it to people if there's a mutual understanding that if it gets damaged, they'll buy you a new one or be killed.
4. Use strap locks

Works a charm!

jskidder

Reaction score
Neck breaks are absolutely not a given, and they are not inherently thin or fragile. It's also impossible for the neck to snap "at any given moment for any given reason." It can break if you drop it or bang it on something, but there's no way you're going to break it by playing it.

MSB

Reaction score
it's a tool and as with any tool, it has its limitations. I'm not scared to play mine at all, but I put them back in their cases or a stand (for a few min) and don't prop them up against things for even a second.

if you want to cure your fears, have a kid. If you can not break that, a guitar is a piece of cake.

if its so bad you really can't play the thing, sell it and get a Fender, quite a few of the newer models have quite a few G features

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have dozens of guitars with the majority of them being Gibsons.... some for over 40 years.... with kids and pets and drunks and pissed off women.... no breaks yet.

belthezaire

Reaction score
it's a tool and as with any tool, it has its limitations. I'm not scared to play mine at all, but I put them back in their cases or a stand (for a few min) and don't prop them up against things for even a second.

if you want to cure your fears, have a kid. If you can not break that, a guitar is a piece of cake.

if its so bad you really can't play the thing, sell it and get a Fender, quite a few of the newer models have quite a few G features
I do also have a Fender. It's what I've been practicing on.

MSB

Reaction score
Oh, dang. It's even worse than I pictured.
are you scared to wear shoes b/c you might scuff them?

Even if you break it, it can be fixed, and quite a few will tell you they sound better afterwards, and in my personal experience, if fixed properly, they're stronger than original. I really see no downside of enjoying your guitar.

if you're really scared, and can't enjoy it, what's the point of having it?

belthezaire

Reaction score
So, you don't drive a car either?

Because-

View attachment 519198
I completely get what you're getting at. If I broke my car, I'd have to replace it because it gets me to and from my job. It is a necessary part of my survival given my circumstances. If I broke my LP, however ... it would be missed. It certainly wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't be replaced.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
40 years of playing, NEVER broke a headstock. BUT that being said:
NEVER used one to hit the drummer over the head for his crappy timing.
NEVER used one to fight a fan over MY freaking beer on the stage.
NEVER jabbed the singer in the ribs because, well, he/she was JUST the singer, you know?

Seriously, don't do stupid, it won't break.

JMP

Reaction score
Play the guitar, treat it nicely, be smart about things like not leaning it against amps, put it back in the case when you’re not playing it, etc.

If it gets broken, get it repaired.

Absolutely play the thing!

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 LPs, an SG, an Explorer, an MM, an ES-235 and a J-29. Although I store them in their cases, I play them without worry. I haven't dropped one yet.

PauloQS

Reaction score
i know the point you're trying to make, but, really? View attachment 519197
Yes. This picture has been beyond misinterpreted. Width at the nut is 1.69”. The diameter the truss rod access cavity is about 0.6”, meaning there are more than 1” combined along the sides of the truss rod cavity. Furthermore, because of the circular shape of the truss rod access cavity, just a few millimeters to the left or right of this cut, and we’d be seeing more material. Yet people seem to be interpreting this as the only thing holding the headstock is the sliver of material at the weakest pinpoint of the neck almost forgetting it’s a 3D shape not 2D.

Edit: To OP, your avatar Tribute looks like one of the modern collection 2019-present Tribute. If so, it has maple neck. Maple is stronger than mahogany.

Last edited:

belthezaire

Reaction score
Yes. This picture has been beyond misinterpreted. Width at the nut is 1.69”. The diameter the truss rod access cavity is about 0.6”, meaning there are more than 1” combined along the sides of the truss rod cavity. Furthermore, because of the circular shape of the truss rod access cavity, just a few millimeters to the left or right of this cut, and we’d be seeing more material. Yet people seem to be interpreting this as the only thing holding the headstock is the sliver of material at the weakest pinpoint of the neck almost forgetting it’s a 3D shape not 2D.

Edit: To OP, your avatar Tribute looks like one of the modern collection 2019-present Tribute. If so, it has maple neck. Maple is stronger than mahogany.
Good point on that pic. It is a shocker at first glance, but what you say makes perfect sense.

And yes, that's my LP in my profile pic. It is a 2020 and has a maple neck, and I have read that maple is more durable. Honestly, even though it's a "cheaper" GLP without the bells or whistles or binding and has a satin finish ... I love it. The neck finish actually gives it pretty much the same feel as my Strat, which I like. This GLP is likely the most "top end" guitar I'll ever own. I just need to get over being afraid of it, as it were.

This thread has definitely helped, for the most part.

Edit: spelling

Latest Threads