unsettling

sk8rat

Reaction score
I stopped by my girlfriends place after work to pick up her cat (cat sitting tomorrow).

we talked outside for about 10 minutes before she went inside and I left. I texted her to ask if she made it inside because usually I watch her but where I was parked I couldn't see her go in. she told me yes and I left.

I had to stop by the store to get cat food and when I pulled in to the parking lot I got a frantic text that someone was banging at her door. she was thinking that someone was watching us and waited a while after I left to knock on her door making her think I came back. she grabbed a chair and looked through the top window on the door but said she said no one was there by the time she looked.

she was really freaked out so i called the cops. after talking to three different people they told me that they had gotten about ten calls from that area at the exact time that she heard it reporting what sounded like gunshots in her neighborhood. they said they had a bunch of patrol cars in the neighborhood and found nothing. she said she felt a little better having heard that but I can tell she still has a gut feeling that someone was at her door. she said it just sounded so close.

I live close to a gun range so I know what it sounds like to hear loud gun fire but I have never mistaken it for knocking. she seemed so sure and she's pretty level headed.

tl;dr

girlfriend and I were outside at 2am talking
10 minutes after I left someone was knocking on her door really hard
she got scared
thought someone was trying to get in her house
I called cops
police said it was unconfirmed gunshots or something of the sort because they got a bunch of other calls

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Unless it was some majorly large calibre, having gunfire sound like someone knocking loudly on the door from a "nearby" range at 2am seems a bit doubtful...

Maybe it's time your GF took some courses on how to shoot a pistol, and have one in the house....

Last edited:

sk8rat

Reaction score
Unless it was some majorly large calibre, having gunfire sound like someone knocking loudly on the door from a "nearby" range at 2am seems a bit doubtful...

Maybe it's time your GF took some courses on how to shoot a pistol, and have one in the house....
well the thing is, I gave minimal information to the police yet they knew the time and place that this happened. they said they weren't totally sure it was gun shots because it didn't really make sense given the large area they received calls from but most of the call reported something like gun fire or perhaps fireworks or something. just like ten or so loud banging sounds in succession.

luckily for her she's moving soon. also she has room mates. one of them is a big guy who is pretty intimidating. however all her roommates slept through it and she didn't want to wake them up. both of us are still kind of unsure about the whole thing because you're right. and like I said, I have never mistaken gunshots for knocking on my door. she made sure the whole house was locked up just in case.

scott1970

Reaction score
If it had happened where I work I’d guarantee it being gunfire. We had a house shot up a week ago, around thirty rounds fired, and the recovered brass has now been linked to two homicides and some agg assaults. Folks are crazy, but it keeps my bills paid so I won’t complain.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I'm so glad I live away from the city. Where did this happen? Metropolitan area?

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I'm so glad I live away from the city. Where did this happen? Metropolitan area?
I've lived in both metro areas __ and rural . from my experience , the metro areas have always been safer . small towns always seem to have much more trouble going on . with an outward appearance of safety

making them potentially more dangerous

rogue3

Reaction score
Good that she's ok. A move sounds like an excellent idea.Toronto has daily gunfire incidents today. seems to be a little more regular in certain areas, but not by much.Downtown late night entertainment district is one.Boys with a beef come down after midnight and shoot them up.attention whores.settlement scores.Caveat is, downtown has been turned into a major people living space too,so innocent bystanders are many...

Olds442

Reaction score
glad she's ok. that is a strange scenario. it won't stop anything, but consider a door cam so if it happens again, you'll have the visitor on video.

sk8rat

Reaction score
it happened in a suburb that is adjacent to highway 99 which if any of you are familiar with Washington, is not a very nice place. lots of drugs and things of that sort.

sk8rat

Reaction score
glad she's ok. that is a strange scenario. it won't stop anything, but consider a door cam so if it happens again, you'll have the visitor on video.
I've considered making my own because security cameras suck and are expensive. I've been looking at turning oldish phone cameras into security cameras.

Olds442

Reaction score
I've considered making my own because security cameras suck and are expensive. I've been looking at turning oldish phone cameras into security cameras.
We got a couple cheap motion sensor cams off Amazon for like 25 each. you may want to check something like that out because it's not really expensive for just one. Certainly less work than making one out of phones, I would think.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
if you're handy with electronics , there are plenty of DIY projects on the Rasberry Pi and Arduino pages . not overly complicated __ because everything is basically modular .

however . you might want to get some IR floods , and a camera that will pick up IR . for night time security

adafruit is a good site to look at

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1567