Unpotted pickups?

Guitpicky

Reaction score
In my case ignorance is bliss. Being too stupid to care means one less self made headache to worry about :)

AJK1

Reaction score
Both my LP have unpotted PAF type pickups
They sound great at any volume
And the tone is to die for
I wouldn’t use potted pickups again

bum

Reaction score
I had some Seth Lover Seymour Duncans that are modelled on the original PAFs, they are unpotted.
I never had any feedback issues and they sounded glorious

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I own a 2019 LP Traditional that I purchased new. It has Burstbucker 1 and 2’s. They are potted. I know because I replaced the cover on the bridge pickup because I seriously gouged the original with a screwdriver.

David Garner

Reaction score
I’ve tried the following unpotted PAF types:

Duncan Antiquities
Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates
Wolfetone Dr. Vintage

All 3 are outstanding. The Antiquities in the right guitar are just unreal. The Wolfetones are really clear and articulate. I’m currently using the Pearlies in this guitar:

I sold the Dr. Vintage set because the Antiquities were better in the same guitar, and I swapped in the Pearlies because the double creme look is amazing with that finish and I wanted to put the stock set (490r/498t) in my 93 Standard for a change of pace. So now I have my classic rock machine (above) and my hard rock firebreather (the 93).

I tried the Antiquities in the 93 and they didn’t work well. That guitar has a more scooped tonality than the one above, and it sounds better with the Pearlies or a hotter set. But they sounded fantastic in the one above too. It’s just a great guitar honestly.

AJK1

Reaction score
Both my LP have unpotted PAF type pickups
They sound great at any volume
And the tone is to die for
I wouldn’t use potted pickups again
I forgot to mention that they are CS Pearlys in one and Seth Lovers in the other guitar

Latest Threads