Unpotted Custombuckers Back in Place R9

swampblues

Reaction score
I bought my R9 20th that was mint used and someone added Cream BK Mules. They sounded very good but I wanted her back to original pups. Wow don’t know how much Gibson changed these Custom Buckers Unpotted but they are frickin awesome.. Running thru JTM 45 and no pedals. Very clear but when cranked they get very woody with no squeals anywhere . Now Time to sell these beautiful BK Mules in cream
5C3C8FB7-40AD-45F2-AED3-DFABD75B846F.jpeg
3F2E0A7D-135A-4D20-9281-2E98A10E722C.jpeg

Last edited:

swampblues

Reaction score
Not sure what they changed other than wax but they are really smooth

danzego

Reaction score
I think they're fantastic. They're in my 60th/60 V1 and it's the best sounding LP I've ever played.

By the way, I still love your axe, swampblues. When I was in the market, that was one I had my eye on, but as my first Custom Shop, I chose a formal Cherryburst as that was what I considered my dream custom. Anyway, yours looks great!

KBMelb

Reaction score
The pups in my late late '19 B7 (built in january '20 with '19 serial#) has the best pups I've ever had. I don't know what it is or even if it's the harness stuff but it sounds amazing.

Last edited:

ACEit

Reaction score
I've have unpotted Custombucker in the R8..

they still are my "refrence" pickups.
in other Lps I've OX4, BK black dogs and BK mules... every one of those has something equal ( or better ) the CB in some specific area.... but over all CB are still my first choice... followed very close by mules... they just care a little on clean sound... and are a bit better when overdrived.

68Mopar

Reaction score
My '18 PBR7 has Wildwood spec Custombuckers w/A3 magnets. Best sounding HB's I've ever played. Question: Do all Custombuckers come with A3 magnets?

cmerch

Reaction score
I recently got my 1st custom shop guitar, a 2018 R9 Lemonburst VOS. At first I didn't love the Custom Buckers, but after a proper set up and height adjustment, they are great. I don't know if they're potted or not, but they sound really good. My luthier said they were kind of hard to dial in, but man, he found the sweet spot.

ACEit

Reaction score
My '18 PBR7 has Wildwood spec Custombuckers w/A3 magnets. Best sounding HB's I've ever played. Question: Do all Custombuckers come with A3 magnets?
FWIK... yes...

and ii make me wonder because everytime I tried different magnets in a pickup A3 were the worst sounding of the bunch

Dazza

Reaction score
Do all Custombuckers come with A3 magnets?
Every time I've seen CB listed as spec from the beginning with the J.Page CA they say AIII. But there have been several derivatives of CB with names like Live Bucker, S Bucker, E Bucker, Ld / Rthm Bucker over the years with 2 and 4 conductor wires but little to no information posted on them. I've had very nice results swapping the bridge to an AII which softened the top end and made the attack more 'spongy/squishy'.

Daz

MikeyV

Reaction score
I have a '14 R8 and a '19 R9. The R9 is stock and sound frikin incredible.
The '58 has a Grail harness, which made it sound better/better controls and sounds, but it still lacks something that the 2019 version has.

Honk, Squonk? something like that.

Clint

Reaction score
My 2019 R9's Custombuckers are squealers and are coming out soon. It's only a problem with higher gain settings but is just enough to make me want to replace them. They sound very microphonic but are also very clear and different from previous years.

68Mopar

Reaction score
Mine are Wildwood spec. CB's. What's different about them, I do not know? They sound fabulous. They're not hot pickups. String nuance is insanely great, but then I suppose the guitar may be a factor.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ I think Wildwood might have had a very low wind spec at one stage.

swampblues

Reaction score
My 2019 R9's Custombuckers are squealers and are coming out soon. It's only a problem with higher gain settings but is just enough to make me want to replace them. They sound very microphonic but are also very clear and different from previous years.
I can’t get mine to squeal while stand 4 ft in front of my JTM 45 4x12 cab with Volume on 9

Clint

Reaction score
I can’t get mine to squeal while stand 4 ft in front of my JTM 45 4x12 cab with Volume on 9
I think I got a bad pair. I have to turn the tone down to 4-5 on the bridge pickup or it will squeal when I turn up. Granted, I am using a tubescreamer with some moderate gain. I can control it depending on where I'm standing but it's still a PITA at times. Never had this problem with Historics before. OTOH they sound really good clean or slightly dirty.

Latest Threads