Unofficial Bass Stuff Thread (Since there is no real bass area on the Mule)

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i just ordered three 3 chrome dome knobs for my PJ. I dont know why i replaced them with strat knobs. i did that many years ago and have since lost the chrome knobs. pretty good deal on ebay. 5.95 for a set of 3 from a USA seller. should be here monday.

Reactions: ehb

G Man

Reaction score
Picked up a bass fly rig last week, works great at home with quiet volumes, but at practice, the Compressor is unusable as it makes a ton of noise. Got to contact Tech 21 about that. The rest of it is great though, nice compact little tone shaper with some great tones to be had.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bass fly rig last week, works great at home with quiet volumes, but at practice, the Compressor is unusable as it makes a ton of noise. Got to contact Tech 21 about that. The rest of it is great though, nice compact little tone shaper with some great tones to be had.

I noticed some noise when I had the bass V turned way down and the Level up on the Fly. The input signal level was too close to the noise level that's always there in about anything.... With the bass V knob very low, I had the levels on the Fly up. Redid my levels with the bass V knobs way up and had no more issues...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fender Blacktop basses were interesting.

The Blacktop Jazz had two P pickup sets.
The Blacktop Precision had doubled J pickups.

Here's the Blacktop Precision...

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Not really a bass area, Pete... That being said, I didn't see that bass had been added to the conglomeration forum (Other) description... ;)

Wasn't chunking rocks at you Top Men anyway with the 'bass area' remarks... Just saying what I think...

I am of the opinion that with the number of folks that play bass too, it just might generate a bit of traffic on the Mule... pays the bills...

The Mule is far from just Lesters anyway now....

It is a bit odd for us to have to go to a competing site to read, inquire, and/or blather about all things basses as some of us do every day. Wading through countless threads in the Other sub forum to find any bass guitar/amps/effects/etc., is a bit illogical.

The time I spend on other competing sites perusing bass stuff generates traffic (ad impressions, head count which figures into ads too) and money for the competing site... not here.... THAT is my reasoning...

Bossman has the PRS and other sites in addition to the Mule.... Still generates beans for the same pot....

I look at it like this.. Suppose I served grilled brats.... (no beer & butter simmering)
A customer came in and asked for brats, grilled and simmered in beer and butter....
I could just say I don't do beer and butter (which is heresy) and the customer should go somewhere else for grilled and simmered brats....or I could grab a pot, a few beers, butter, onions....
Customer is already IN my brat place.... It is illogical to send him elsewhere to make someone else money.....

Still can't believe I mentioned brats not simmered in beer and butter.... damn.... That should be illegal...
Never been over there so am unfamiliar with usual brat cooking there but here, grilled and simmered in beer and butter is da cheeze...

Thanks for reading this thread though, Pete!
I've suggested a "live performance" area too, but.....we were lucky to get the "like's" back, I guess! A bass section would be cool.

fleahead

Reaction score
Here's my harem with one going away soon....

(L to R) '76 neck-thru Univox Ric clone, Early Dan-O re-ish, Customized Dean Entwistle Sig bass with custom 22 fret P-Bass neck & switched hardware and electronics (soon to be bye-bye) and my old faithful, a P-Bass copy with an '80s neck and heavily modded - "C" neck, plays (and kinda looks) like my old '64, departed decades ago. This bass has been my #1 for close to 16 years. And now, my weeks-old Epi Thunderbird Vintage Pro - which is one of the best basses, and I had a Gibby at one time.... Epi nailed this.

Last edited:

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Is boneheed still around flumbling abound?

I've missed his big spherical bonce.

Has he learned how to unpack a set of strings yet?

parts

Reaction score
My old Frankenstein,, Had it since about '75..did the mass deconstruction about 1980??
Phase..coil taps..weird wiring my old biz partner wired up for me (us) for studio.. Usually laughed at until played..then Rick crisp and deep chest pound and anything in between..
Sold my Rick..right hand problems made me use a pick..can't even finger pick a guitar even after two operations..

But this old beast EB-O was used a lot by folks who laughed then asked "where's the thing?"
Pic while restringing..

I now use a pick but never did then..had a felt pick as this has way more top than my Rick.. In studio played through Traynor YB modified.also JBL140 one heavy smaller bitch..that kills for guitar or bass..

Life too short to play flats..round only..

Last edited:

Dave_W

Reaction score
Well now. There are bass players here huh ?

Anyone anxiously awaiting these ?

View attachment 374676

Short scale all mahogany.
May be released as early as this coming Monday.
On March 30th I called Mark Najjar, the bass guy at Chicago Music Exchange, to find out when the new bass was expected in stock. I called him b/c it was CME who convinced Gibson to do it.

He says they expect a bunch of them at the end of May, and that they will be announcing it. He also said that Gibson spec'd it just the way they asked except that Jim DeCola used a plastic pickup cover; they had asked for chrome. But when they arrive, the ones at CME will have a chrome cover. Other Gibson dealers will get the plastic cover. The price is still $999 either way.

Maybe that's been moved up, with the countdown timer on Gibson's website. We'll see. But I won't be surprised if it's not ready yet.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
On March 30th I called Mark Najjar, the bass guy at Chicago Music Exchange, to find out when the new bass was expected in stock. I called him b/c it was CME who convinced Gibson to do it.

He says they expect a bunch of them at the end of May, and that they will be announcing it. He also said that Gibson spec'd it just the way they asked except that Jim DeCola used a plastic pickup cover; they had asked for chrome. But when they arrive, the ones at CME will have a chrome cover. Other Gibson dealers will get the plastic cover. The price is still $999 either way.

Maybe that's been moved up, with the countdown timer on Gibson's website. We'll see. But I won't be surprised if it's not ready yet.
Cool

Chrome is one of the ideas I have in mind to replace the p/guard if I don't like the look of the black one in person.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
My old Frankenstein,, Had it since about '75..did the mass deconstruction about 1980??
Phase..coil taps..weird wiring my old biz partner wired up for me (us) for studio.. Usually laughed at until played..then Rick crisp and deep chest pound and anything in between..
Sold my Rick..right hand problems made me use a pick..can't even finger pick a guitar even after two operations..

But this old beast EB-O was used a lot by folks who laughed then asked "where's the thing?"
Pic while restringing..

I now use a pick but never did then..had a felt pick as this has way more top than my Rick.. In studio played through Traynor YB modified.also JBL140 one heavy smaller bitch..that kills for guitar or bass..

Life too short to play flats..round only..
Looks cool as s*** !

Wild old bridge is very cool.

Dave_W

Reaction score
UPDATE

My post above about Chicago Music Exchange getting the DC Junior Basses with chrome pickup covers got posted at Talkbass as chrome pickguards. Nope.

But a poster in that same thread there says that they will be released on 4/29 according to Sweetwater. He says he preordered one and it will be shipped to him Monday. So hopefully they will be in other stores on Monday too.

Latest Threads