Unknowns and under rated amps

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've heard some good sounds come out of...

Dean Markley 30 watt 1-12 combo

Peavey Bandit 65 (the older ones from the 80's)

And some of the Crate solid state combos (RFX15 or VTX15, etc.) can be good little amps

And +1 for the Peavey Classic 30 (which is somewhat well known around these parts)

And the Marshall 5005 Lead 12 can get some nice JCM800 type sounds out of a little solid state amp (great for recording - rumour is that Billy Gibbons used one for "My Heads In Mississippi")

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

notoperational

Reaction score
I don't know how popular B-52 products are, but I rarely see people using them.

It sounded great, and it was fairly cheap! I was using a used one that I acquired for $500 (footswitch included), never had a problem with it. I think they go for around $700 new.

This thing got beat on and beat on too, definitely a durable amp. I would recommend one of these to anybody on a budget. The only real down-fall is that it is a heavy son of a gun!! If you don't play gigs or have to go to band practices though, then it would be even better.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What were the stock speakers, do you know? I thought about getting the one Ole Larry has down at his bar, Not being used, having my buddy Phill clean the electronics up and maybe using it as a booster to a smaller amp
The Stock Speakers were Eminance i believe.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
no wonder they are so inexpensive
Yep , Now when ever I see something that seems to be a nearly too good to be true item, I check out where it was made. Any guitar or amp that has made in China, instant and imediate pass , if its new, I did buy a Pignose 40 Watt, but traded it for a FEnder Blues Jr, US Made, straight across , the amp sounded ok, but the BLues Jr was far better though less wattage , The MADE in USA though definitly sealed the deal for me

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And the Marshall 5005 Lead 12 can get some nice JCM800 type sounds out of a little solid state amp (great for recording - rumour is that Billy Gibbons used one for "My Heads In Mississippi")

Run the Lead 12 or the same era mini stack head (same guts) into a 4x12. The stock speaker really castrates the sound that amp is capable of.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Run the Lead 12 or the same era mini stack head (same guts) into a 4x12. The stock speaker really castrates the sound that amp is capable of.
I heard this bout lead 12's hmm could change my feelings bout Marshall Solid State too, Hmm Marshalls NEED to go into Celestions or Fane's or something voiced like that

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I heard this bout lead 12's hmm could change my feelings bout Marshall Solid State too, Hmm Marshalls NEED to go into Celestions or Fane's or something voiced like that
Lead 12 does have a Celestion, but it is a lousy sounding one.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lead 12 does have a Celestion, but it is a lousy sounding one.
LOL Hmm 8 or 10" Celestion makes great 12"ers some `15's too but 8'" speakers are not their strong suit , not too great on some of their 10's either

Latest Threads