Unimpresed with new 335

brianbzed

Reaction score
Tried a new 335 Studio over the weekend......not impressive. The guitar obviously had been hanging in the shop for some time.....dusty, slightly corroded strings.....needed a setup badly....had a very visible bow in the neck. I may be old school, but a brand new guitar should NOT need a setup right from the factory! Maybe an isolated incident, but I don't plan on visiting a GC again....

Dick Banks

Reaction score
One guitar an entire brand does not make. Still though, it sucks to go in there with high hopes, only to see them dashed before your eyes...
GC is what I call the "Clint Eastwood" guitar store. The Good, the bad, and the ugly.
Go for the good.

Dick Banks

Reaction score
Somebody jacked with it at GC, probably a customer. They like to supervise the handling of the nicer guitars, but Saturday gets crazy in there..

budg

Reaction score
Tried a new 335 Studio over the weekend......not impressive. The guitar obviously had been hanging in the shop for some time.....dusty, slightly corroded strings.....needed a setup badly....had a very visible bow in the neck. I may be old school, but a brand new guitar should NOT need a setup right from the factory! Maybe an isolated incident, but I don't plan on visiting a GC again....

Well TBH the Studio resides at the very bottom of the 335 food chain. If your expectation was high thats unfortunate. Judging from your list you have some very nice high end guitars . Hard to compare those nice les pauls against a studio 335. Its like comparing a R8 against a worn LP, or at least a Standard.

afireinside

Reaction score
Buy a CME Memphis on reverb i bought 3 (kept 1) $1616 otd 1 was dark sounding but all 3 were killer.

Attachments

• 20171208_121629.jpg
    20171208_121629.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 33

scozz

Reaction score
Anecdotal experience I think.

I like @Dick Banks analogy of Guitar Center..."The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

Gibson4NJ

Reaction score
Older guitar that's been manhandled by novices in a guitar store didn't play like a Stradivarius. News at 11. I'm Ron Burgandy?

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
These studios are at all GC’s. They're there to show you what a crappy looking guitar plays like, so you move up to a better looking and playing one.

I can tell, you were too smart to fall for that. :h5:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
They're selling for $1800 at GC. At that price, I expect quality. Yes, it hung around a long time. Take it down and look at it every so often. And I don't know about you guys, but hanging a guitar on the wall for months at a time never screwed up the relief on any axe I've ever owned.

Lots of guys need the binding to sound good *snort* but for 18 bones, I expect a straight neck. If you cannot deliver that, take the guitar down, sell it as a second, give your shop tech something to practice on ... anything but keep it on the wall.

budg

Reaction score
Ive never considered setup issues to be a big problem . Its usually the first thing when I get it home. If there are truss rod issues or intonation issues that cant be solved ,you want to find them out before the return window closes anyway.

Latest Threads