Unforgiving amps

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Going from my Katana or Lead 12 to my Champ is brutally humbling. The tweed is so unforgiving. Every little mistake I make seems so much more ... amplified.

Part of it is touch sensitivity, obviously. But there seems to be more to it than that. The same half-assed riff that sounds rockin' on my solid-states gets exposed for the shite it is once it's put through the tubes.

I need to practice more.

mdubya

Reaction score
I was going to say my Lead 12 or my Lead 20. :lol:

Actually, they both shine with warmer, slightly more modern sounding pickups. What I have learned (and like) about both; find their sweet spot and leave them there, using the guitar volume to go from rhythm to lead playing. But if you have 500k pots and bright PAF style pickups, they can be finicky.

I spent a couple of hours with the Lead 12 Friday night and Saturday morning. It rawks! :headbanger:

My silverface Champ is close to useless on its own, at the volumes I play (Champ on 2 or 3). Add a pedal or three and you're in business. Great saggy, vintage tones, and using the guitar volume knob to go from rhythm to lead.

sonar

Reaction score
Old Fender tubers are pretty forgiving when they're cranked up, assuming the amps are healthy and biased properly. Same goes with Marshall.

Now a Sampson era Matchless DC-30, THAT was an unforgiving amp.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
But if you have 500k pots and bright PAF style pickups, they can be finicky.
Yup. My Lead 12 and my #1 LP don't really get along for that very reason. A great high-gain tone with any of my other guitars gets pushed into buzz Hell.

mdubya

Reaction score
Here I've always wanted a Lead 12 mini stack, but sounds like it wouldn't get along with most of my guitars then? My little heart is crushed.
With tone rolled back to 5 and volume on 7 or 8 on the guitar, it works fine. I keep the treble knob of the Lead 12 in the 9 o'clock position and the mid and bass right around 12 o'clock. I plug into the low input with the gain on "10" and the volume just barely on; not whisper quiet, but very bedroom friendly, at home tones. And it loves my old Maestro Fuzz. That alone makes the Lead 12 worth it for me.

My Lead 12 medley with my 335 usually goes something like Mama Kin, Ballroom Blitz, Fox on the Run, Paranoid, Spanish Castle Magic, The Jack, You Shook Me All Night Long, Touch Too Much, Hell's Bells, etc... Very classic tones, easy playing. Just keep the treble tamed.

Also, you can NAIL Jesus Just Left Chicago/Waiting on the Bus, Cheap Sunglasses, and most dirty ZZ toned songs. Mind your guitar's volumes and tones accordingly.

If I step on the Maestro, all bets are off. Pretty much just Sabbath and Priest. :headbanger:

That said, '57 Classics or 490R/T with lower value pots would be perfect. JB/Jazz works too, but I hate JB's - no dynamics.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have 57s in one guitar. I bet the one with the old Maxon alnico 8 pups would work well with one. Those pickups seem to have the most "balls" :rofl:

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
In my experience, its mostly tube amps that show that transparent behaviour. Big iron tube amp played loud and clean-ish, its like a magnifying glass for eff-ups :eek: :p
On the other end of the spectrum are cheap modelers like a Line 6 Spider. No matter what signal goes in, it all sounds the same coming out of the speaker.

tzd

Reaction score
Put an analog delay pedal in front of the tweed.

Al Walker

Reaction score
My Hot Rod Deluxe doesn't care what is plugged into it. It sounds good clean or dirty (pedals). The dirt channel doesn't sound good to me , but, it's a great pedal platform and very forgiving.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A couple of my amps are extraordinarily unforgiving on the clean channel. There are several factors that contribute to such a circuit.

Dumbles are probably the most unforgiving amps extant.

Last edited:

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Plexi style amps are the most unforgiving I have owned... With Mesa, everything was buttery smooth, especially with legato... My left hand got exposed as weak when I started playing Plexi clone...
Pretty much my same experience here when I switched from my Mesa to my Marshall Studio Vintage. On top of that, I never knew my X2N was microphonic until I ran the Les Paul it was in through the Marshall and boosted it.

However, it does sound good with any type of pickup - Strat, P-90, mini-humbucker, humbucker - so at least it's not picky on top of being unforgiving.

sonar

Reaction score
Hmm... I don’t find old Marshall amps unforgiving at all. Granted they don’t do the super saturated cascading gain thing, but overall I find them quite forgiving. Of course I like to play them loud.

People might have different ideas of what “unforgiving” means?