Understanding UV Lamp or Black Light, NEW VIDEO!

TVBob

Reaction score
In the last years the risk of fraud has dramatically risen... and forgeries are not the only threat when buying a vintage or used guitar.
Some seller, whether in good conscience or not, might fail to disclose that the instrument suffered breaks, had repairs, modifications and restorations, has non-original parts or might have been entirely or in part refinished.
All these issues are not necessarily deal breakers but all of them definitely affect the market value or selling price of the instrument. In every case that is something that every buyer would be interested to know before closing a transaction.
Luckily when buying an used guitar, we can count on a precious partner: the black light.
A few questions could arise: “Is there any particular recommended model or type?” “How is it used?” “What do I have to look for?” “What can the UV lamp actually reveal or prove?”
Let’s shed some light on the black light! : )

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Luckily when buying an used guitar, we can count on a precious partner: the black light.
Good video! But, I take issue with the phrase "count on" in your above text. In the video you made clear towards the end, that the black-light is not always useful....that is what you can "count on."

I see many guitars every year that the black-light does not illustrate a repair or finish work....but it's there. I have also seen guitars that were all original, but for whatever reason, they black-lighted odd.

Again, good info.! :cheers:

TVBob

Reaction score
Thank you Eric, good point!
...Looks like I can "count on" you, ih! ih! : )

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good video! But, I take issue with the phrase "count on" in your above text. In the video you made clear towards the end, that the black-light is not always useful....that is what you can "count on."

I see many guitars every year that the black-light does not illustrate a repair or finish work....but it's there. I have also seen guitars that were all original, but for whatever reason, they black-lighted odd.

Again, good info.! :cheers:
Here's what you can count on: The fact the you can't count on anything.

TVBob

Reaction score
Here's what you can count on: The fact the you can't count on anything.
Reminds me the great lyrics of Lou Reed's "Busload of Faith" from the album New York.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Thanks Bob.

As the old saying goes. Death and taxes are the only things in this world you can count on.

Thanks for illustrating a good tool in the toolbox in any case.

masterglazier

Reaction score
Hey, It still shows everything that is different than the norm. A true tell is to witness it, I have seen many strange things using one.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wont buy a used or vintage guitar without using one. Period.

judson

Reaction score
i got one and its good to have ....discovered a well repaired heel crack in a firebird maybe 6 months after the purchase.

i had asked the seller before the sale about any neck cracks which he replied "no"...ok so a heel is not the neck?

anyway its fine but does make you think on every purchase plus fun just to check every inch out on a purchase.

one thing i did not know was the early 1970 placing a letter at the end of the serial number? how did i not know that as I have never seen one after looking at hundreds of lps....was this only early the 1970 lps ?

thanks for the vid , always good to learn :yesway:

Last edited:

TVBob

Reaction score
one thing i did not know was the early 1970 placing a letter at the end of the serial number? how did i not know that as I have never seen one after looking at hundreds of lps....was this only early the 1970 lps ?
thanks for the vid , always good to learn :yesway:
Thank you for your feedback Judson! Yes, the letter "A" after the serial number, is not definitely on every 1970 Les Paul, but I read somewhere that it's a feature of that year, which is consistent with that guitar. That Deluxe actually has 1969 features so supposedly it's from very early 1970.

Latest Threads