Under-rated drummers

Matt_21

Reaction score
Was just listening to some stuff and thought "You know who was an under-rated drummer who should have been more widely known? Dallas Taylor."
I've seen him backing up a few big names on concert DVDs and wondered why he wasn't more well known.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
Steve Gorman, formerly of The Black Crowes. Check out him channeling Bonzo on the album the Crowes did with Jimmy Page, or on The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. The guy is rock steady, and has a killer groove.

Stewart Copeland is wildly imaginative, and never gets his due.

Check out Danny Seraphine, the original drummer from Chicago, or David Garibaldi, the former Tower of Power drummer. To be able to hold your ground with all that is/was going on around them in those bands, is no simple feat. Check out Garibald's "Squib Cakes," from the "Back To Oakland" album.

Matt_21

Reaction score
I'm going to look into these when I have time. Some I've heard, some I've heard of but, most I haven't.
I was just impressed by Taylor. He always seems really into the song, always on time and got a great simple groove. Nothing too flashy.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Matt Sorum. I think he gets a bad rap from many early GnR fans, because he replaced Adler and the faithful have a bias. However, the guy has provided the back beat for The Cult, GnR (3 albums + tours), Velvet Revolver, Slash's Snake Pit, as well as side projects like Camp Freddy and the Hollywood Vampires.

Last edited:

Howard2k

Reaction score
Peter Criss.

I don't think he was ever a "great" drummer, but I thought during the 70s he did some great stuff.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Always thought the drummers from Heart and the Steve Miller band were great.

Last edited:

rxbandit

Reaction score
Dave Grohl. Those Nirvana songs wouldn't be the same without the bad ass drums.
I agree that he's great, don't think he's underrated though. My favorite drumming of his is on the Them Crooked Vultures album, it's my go-to for recorded drum tones and his playing is top notch. Fantastic album

PeteK

Reaction score
I agree that he's great, don't think he's underrated though. My favorite drumming of his is on the Them Crooked Vultures album, it's my go-to for recorded drum tones and his playing is top notch. Fantastic album
I think he's underrated in that most of the Nirvana praise gets heaped on Cobain. I think everyone knows he's a drummer, but a lot of people don't realize how great a drummer he really is.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
Matt Sorum. I think he gets a bad rap from many early GnR fans, because he replaced Adler and the faithful have a bias. However, the guy has provided the back beat for The Cult, GnR (3 albums + tours), Velvet Revolver, Slash's Snake Pit, as well as side projects like Camp Freddy and the Hollywood Vampires.
Slash wrote in his book that when Matt replaced Adler in GnR, at the first rehearsal, they ran through a few songs, and Slash thought to himself, "Oh, THAT'S what a big rock band sounds like. OK, so we're a big rock band now." I always took that not as a knock on Matt, but an observation. I think Sorum would agree that GnR had a swing with Adler that just isn't in Matt's toolbox.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think he's underrated in that most of the Nirvana praise gets heaped on Cobain. I think everyone knows he's a drummer, but a lot of people don't realize how great a drummer he really is.
I LOVED Nirvana, but I don't think it was the best showcase for how good his drumming really is. It wasn't until he started doing Foo Fighters and the side projects that I realized he's really a god on the drums.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Slash wrote in his book that when Matt replaced Adler in GnR, at the first rehearsal, they ran through a few songs, and Slash thought to himself, "Oh, THAT'S what a big rock band sounds like. OK, so we're a big rock band now." I always took that not as a knock on Matt, but an observation. I think Sorum would agree that GnR had a swing with Adler that just isn't in Matt's toolbox.
I think you're mostly right, the only minor exception I might take is I think Sorum DOES have it in his toolbox to play, but he wouldn't write a drum part to song with that swing. Adler was limited in his abilities compared to Sorum. That said, for me most of the stuff on Appetite is far better than anything after.