Uncovered vs. covered bridge pickup - the ultimate battle!

Uncovered vs. covered bridge pickup - which looks better?

• Total voters

Cory

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently pulled the cover off of the bridge pickup on my R9 - tone wise, I honestly can’t hear any difference - so now I’m just trying to decide which look I like better - I think they both look equally awesome, so I’m going to leave her fate in your hands! :)

Pickups are unpotted custombuckers - just mentioning that in case anyone was curious about doing the same thing - again, if you’re looking for a change in tone/character, I repeatedly A/B’d this (with the cover off) vs. my R7 with unpotted CB’s and hear no discernible difference (but then again maybe I’m just tone deaf :laugh2:)

54F03CF8-FFB5-4963-AC71-C60272E461FF.jpeg
44F9BC1C-30EC-4B14-9046-B74F00F6A532.jpeg

Last edited:

modavis99

Reaction score
To my ears, cover off adds a little high end sparkle - in a good way. I like the looks of both covered and uncovered bridge but I think I prefer the looks of an uncovered bridge by a little.

As a tangential aside, Sometimes when the neck pickup is uncovered the high E string can get caught in the pickup - so covered only on the neck for me.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently pulled the cover off of the bridge pickup on my R9 - tone wise, I honestly can’t hear any difference - so now I’m just trying to decide which look I like better - I think they both look equally awesome, so I’m going to leave her fate in your hands! :)

Pickups are unpotted custombuckers - just mentioning that in case anyone was curious about doing the same thing - again, if you’re looking for a change in tone/character, I repeatedly A/B’d this (with the cover off) vs. my R7 with unpotted CB’s and hear no discernible difference (but then again maybe I’m just tone deaf :laugh2:)

View attachment 558082 View attachment 558083

You just wanted to flash your beautiful guitar now, didn't you?

And many "Thanks!" for doing it!
:thumb:

Cory

Reaction score
To my ears, cover off adds a little high end sparkle - in a good way. I like the looks of both covered and uncovered bridge but I think I prefer the looks of an uncovered bridge by a little.

As a tangential aside, Sometimes when the neck pickup is uncovered the high E string can get caught in the pickup - so covered only on the neck for me.
I’ve heard that too (about the added top end), but just didn’t hear it - maybe it’s more amp dependent? My main amp is a Bogner 20th Shiva w/ KT88’s, which already has a decent amount of top end sparkle on the clean channel :dunno: - either way - covered or uncovered - it sounds great!

frater106

Reaction score
Hey all,

View attachment 558082 View attachment 558083
On that one, I think I like it covered. Definitely a different look with the Zebra exposed, though.

sonar1

Reaction score
IF a cover offers any more resistance to noise I’m for ‘em, as designed.

Sound wise I never heard any difference.
Cosmetically I favor them, but it’s no big deal to me.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
bottom uncovered pickup looks great , personally if it were mine I'd leave it just as it is ...

goldtop0

Reaction score
Uncovered on the bridge looks good Cory.
Clapton did what you've done in '66 and there was a mini craze of uncovered for a while there but as you say there's no discernable difference otherwise we'd all be doing it now.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
IMG_0242.jpg

Best of all worlds! You still get some shielding, strings can't get caught under the bobbins and you also get that uncovered sound. The pup in the pic obviously originally had a gold cover and that chrome cover was clearly opened up in a crude manner (by some hack :doh:), but WD and a few others sell these covers in multiple colors and both sizes! Been usin' 'em for years like this!
Just Pickin' Up,
Gene

angeldeville

Reaction score
With the cover off you look like an uncouth douchebag, what’s to debate?

Great R8

Reaction score
You won't hear as much differences between bridge pickup comparisons, if something makes a difference then neck pickups tend to highlight that more. I took the neck pickup cover off my 96 LP and it went from being muddy to bright. Made a world of difference, also scraped away some residual wax, there was lots!

Cory

Reaction score
Bit the bullet last night and soldered the cover back on!

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
I’ve heard that too (about the added top end), but just didn’t hear it - maybe it’s more amp dependent? My main amp is a Bogner 20th Shiva w/ KT88’s, which already has a decent amount of top end sparkle on the clean channel :dunno: - either way - covered or uncovered - it sounds great!
Its the sort of difference you have to do quality a/b recordings to hear - especially with high-end covers that don't contain a copper layer.
BKP did a video on this, and you had to have the 2 scenarios edited to play directly after each other to hear the difference.
Of course they were fastidious about maintaining pickup height and screw height for the comparison. Something most other people would probably not be so critical about as they are not doing a test.

gary harbon

Reaction score
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
I like that thats a good answer you put , you talented or experienced

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uncovered pickups look unfinished or hacked, to me.

Latest Threads