Uncirculated 1959 Burst at Elderly Instruments - Rod Burst

guycalleddave

Reaction score

9 - 0422

In the pictures it looks kind of plain, but there is a lot of subtle flame that the camera doesn't quite pick up.

I got to play it for about 20 minutes over the weekend and it was a lot of fun.

Interestingly someone (Likely named Rod) owned this (1 owner), as there is a sticker shadow of the name Rod on the guitar just above the control cavities. In the elderly picture you can make out the R. The O was there and the D was almost invisible to the naked eye.

I'm calling it the Rod burst.

Anyways it made for a great afternoon and the rest of this weekend.

guycalleddave

Reaction score
it played great, especially the bridge pickup, which wasn't bright, just had a bit more growl and treble than the neck. The craziest thing though was how light it was. Like it felt like a strat really. It'd be a great one to wear for a couple hours and not have your shoulder hurt.

guycalleddave

Reaction score
" Back of head stock marked "2" " didn't know they had 2nds back then. :hmm:

yeah it's interesting for sure. I don't think it's a fake or anything, looking at the burst website there is pics of the guitar before and after in the serial numbers and the tops are similarly plain looking with a little flame.

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just at Elderly this past weekend to pick up my '96 R6. I didn't see this burst. I posted a PSA of this guitar in the Member Classifieds.

guycalleddave

Reaction score
I was just at Elderly this past weekend to pick up my '96 R6. I didn't see this burst. I posted a PSA of this guitar in the Member Classifieds.
they included it in the friday morning newsletter. i definetly had to ask and I was shocked when they said yes, but I'm not exactly a stranger to the sales guys.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Seconds have been around since the early-mid '50s.

A lot of which (mostly lower-end models) were actually donated to music schools/teachers. Some even offered at a discount to the employees.

When I was growing up, one of my late-grandmother's neighbours worked for Gibson from the mid-40s to the late-'50s, and had a few early Juniors that were all marked as seconds. I asked him about them, and he said that "Ted McCartey was such a nice guy, he was basically giving guitars away, lol".

Funnily enough, just like every other second I've ever seen/played, I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with any of them.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
I remember seeing another real-deal '59 on Elderly's website approximately 10 years ago for around the same price as this one. Despite living across town back then, I never bothered to go check it out because I figured they wouldn't let me play such an expensive guitar that I had no intention (or means) of buying. Very cool that they let you try it out. :thumb:

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I saw a bunch of Gibson and other seconds in a store in Phoenix back in the early 70's, don't know when they stopped selling the seconds but it was after that anyway.
Al

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Are there any issues with it?
Biggest issue that I see is that it costs more than my house, my car, my wife’s car, and my modest guitar collection, combined! I could probably add up the value of everything I’ve ever owned in my entire life and still not reach $225K. Bursts are beyond cool, but the prices are laughably ridiculous.

... but I’d still love to play it, just for the experience! :naughty: :Ohno: :drool:

Jack S.

Reaction score
That's beautiful. Wish I had the coin for that one.

Roman4405

Reaction score
That’s just friggin amazing. The prices are bonkers but damn I’m love to get my chubby little hands on that beauty. I have a feeling that I’d like that tweed thing in the foreground of the first pic also.