Unburst Les Paul Std color looks off to me

redcoats1976

Reaction score
I can initially see that I don't like the long, uninterrupted grains running from end-to-end. They completely run over the mild flame it has on the bottom.
i like those grains...that guitar is the bomb...

kingfredward

Reaction score
@kingfredward when I look at the photo of yours, I'm more motivated to wait for just the right one. These things are in such short supply it's tempting to jump once any are in stock.

Here some more photos if this doesn't convince you I don't know what will... definately be patient i ended up finding it on some obscure website based on some random instagram post I saw.

Screenshot_20210920-220004_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210920-215949_Photos.jpg
DSCF6549.jpg
DSCF6548.jpg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
We can't wait to see what you end up getting, just be patient and the right one will come along. You just have to hope then, that the feel/play/tone is great as well once you get it, and you also have a nice bond with it.

EspyHop

Reaction score
I just got a new iced tea ‘50s Les Paul with a AAA top and the Sweetwater pics didn’t do it justice. But, there’s really no way to get a singular accurate pic.

I will say that the iced tea is browner than it looked in the pictures, but not in a bad way, just a little different from what I was expecting.

ben2e

Reaction score
@EspyHop happen to have Sweetwater vs Your pics ? (assuming yours have more representative color). I was definitely hoping for something more gold at the very least. Their Ice Tea models look pretty good but then if they're much darker in person I maybe not what I'd want.

I was in town last weekend and stopped by GC as well as one other store. The Heritage H-150 tops look amazing. It's tempting to get one.

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Last edited:

ben2e

Reaction score
LP-8lb15.jpg
LP-8lb15.jpg
Kinda cool one just posted on their site. Almost has a cross hatch in the grain. Not quite my ideal but still interesting.

MP4-22

Reaction score
Kinda cool one just posted on their site. Almost has a cross hatch in the grain. Not quite my ideal but still interesting.

Have you checked out wildwood guitars...... They have the nicest stock. Sweetwater sucks.

ben2e

Reaction score
@MP4-22 I did and there were only a couple 60's necks at the time. I'll check back. They at least discount the USA models but the WW editions do look nice, just expensive and no price break on those.

MP4-22

Reaction score
@MP4-22 I did and there were only a couple 60's necks at the time. I'll check back. They at least discount the USA models but the WW editions do look nice, just expensive and no price break on those.

Wildwood has the best inventory, their gibsons are nicer and they really do look them over unlike sweetwater...... those are more expensive because they have AAA hand selected tops. You won't find tops like that at SW either.

They also include free REAL setup and free strings plus a nice t shirt..... 75 dollar value there.

I'm only telling you this because you seem picky and i want you to have a good experience.

MP4-22

Reaction score
the prices just went up today…. 2700 for a run of the mill standard…. That 2799 honey burst ww select is the move my friend.

ben2e

Reaction score
Crap, just saw the price jump $200 on Std's, $300 on classics.

moreles

Reaction score
I assume the OP pic is somehow color-shifted, because that's a really ugly, ugly color -- looks really synthetic and "off" even for a fake fade --but maybe it's one of 298 "new" bursts produced this month... toffeeburst, colaburst, diarrhea burst, snotburst, antique faded dawnburst, non-clown reverse antique un-burst: you name it. I like the unfigured wood, though. But not that burst.

ben2e

Reaction score
The tops on the Slash models are sweet. Maybe Gibson put all the good tops on those. A big price bump to get one though. A nice one posted in the classifieds here. Trying to get better photos (daylight). Hard for me to tell what it really looks like but has potential.

1633414649582.png

ben2e

Reaction score
Otherwise this Unburst looks decent to me (at Samash). @MP4-22 I checked out WW. I didn't see any I liked in stock. They have more of the uniformly stripped tops which aren't my favorite. I like the cloudy (my description) maple. Kinda like the one above but the bright light and dark room makes it tough to see what's there.

LesPaulUnburst-Oct4.jpg

tigerflame

Reaction score
The picture difference is because of the halogen lighting they have in the stores. You'll never get accuracy there.

ben2e

Reaction score
I ordered the one above. It was either that or take the price increase. I don't mind a plain top but will hold judgement till I see it in person. Don't hold back, if you think it's ugly, let me know. Wildwood has very few '60's necks in stock. If this doesn't work I may turn to Heritage. Some of their tops are off the charts like this one.
Reverb H-150

jbash

Reaction score
I ordered the one above. It was either that or take the price increase. I don't mind a plain top but will hold judgement till I see it in person. Don't hold back, if you think it's ugly, let me know. Wildwood has very few '60's necks in stock. If this doesn't work I may turn to Heritage. Some of their tops are off the charts like this one.
Reverb H-150
You will always get a better top, dollar for dollar, with a Heritage. Back in the early 90s , Gibson tops were pretty tame, and Heritage were doing some great old bursty tops, and that's when I got my H150 Classic. Hardware was worse then, but Heritage has remedied that in recent years.

You will take a MASSIVE hit on resale value though with a Heritage despite their tops and quality. Keep that in mind if you don't have a return period for the Heritage.

Latest Threads