Ultra III question

Zen75

Reaction score
I’m new to electric guitars and in love with the Les Paul ever since I saw Slash playing it when I was younger. I’m also disabled so I need a very light guitar. There are plenty Epi Ultra III’s for sale but I’m worried that the value will fall because of the aging technology it has built in.

I’d love to know the opinion of all you Les Paul experts! Thanks in advance :)

DrBGood

Reaction score
It depends how much you pay for it. Once out of the store an Epiphone will depreciates about 30% and stay at that price forever.

Don't worry about the technology, you can use it as a regular LP without a Nanomag. I have an Ultra 1 and just love it. They are really light, like a SG. Mine is 6.8 lbs. The belly cut makes it really comfy to wear.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The only issue with the Ultras, including the III, is the magnetic pull from the nanomag is strong. It causes fret buzzing with low actions.

FWIW, a lot of the 2011-2016 Gibson tributes are really light, as they are almost semi hollow with the weight relief.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only issue with the Ultras, including the III, is the magnetic pull from the nanomag is strong. It causes fret buzzing with low actions.

FWIW, a lot of the 2011-2016 Gibson tributes are really light, as they are almost semi hollow with the weight relief.
Tributes have used various weight reduction schemes. My 2013 has 9 hole relief and weighs 9.2 lbs. I think it has a rather dense body.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tributes have used various weight reduction schemes. My 2013 has 9 hole relief and weighs 9.2 lbs. I think it has a rather dense body.
My 2011s 60s tributes and a12 I haf all were chambered and under 8 lbs.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Really ? You personally experienced that ?

The first Ultra series (2007 for mine) didn't have anything more than two humbuckers like a regular LP.

Mine

2021-10-25.jpg

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really ? You personally experienced that ?

The first Ultra series (2007 for mine) didn't have anything more than two humbuckers like a regular LP.

Mine

I did. One 'hack', was to user heavier gauge strings. It wasn't horrid high action. But if you like really low action, could never get it on the Ultra III I had. It's a fairly known issue.

DrBGood

Reaction score
The new Inspired by Gibson LP Modern has what they call ultra modern weight relief (±8 lbs).

ultra-modern-weight-relief-750x750.png

The Muse has a chambered body. They could also be alternatives.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I did. One 'hack', was to user heavier gauge strings. It wasn't horrid high action. But if you like really low action, could never get it on the Ultra III I had. It's a fairly known issue.
Kind of makes sense. I'll go to bed less dumb tonight :)

Latest Threads