Ultimate Burst Replica Build?

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Well, a big part of the replica process is the lumber - the maple, the carve, a nice bit of wood for the back and a beautiful rosewood fretboard.

although there is importance on the lumber itself, there are plenty of threads like that. I simply wanted to skip all that and concentrate on the parts and end product.

Now I have started this thread that I never intended to when doing the 'joinery', I'll be sure to keep you updated as it progresses further.

I feel like I'm repeating myself now.

:thumb:

LPBR

Reaction score
who wants to see pics of rasps or routers and partially finished lumps of mahogany any longer?

Paul, I would say that the main spirit of the luthier corner is exactly to show people your wood milling! Please don't get me wrong -- I really don't want to sound like an ass -- but the fact is that anyone can buy a bunch of guitar parts and actually never do anything with them. By the other hand there is not so many people out there really engaged on turn a dead lumber on a real guitar!

But as you have stated yourself with other words, how may those people not to get bored on keep seeing again and again more and more wood shaping? The answer is simple: as far as I have seen there is not only one way to do things in luthierie. Otherwise it is a continuous exercise of criativity and is amazing to see how people find interesting solutions while they are doing something 'boring' as milling wood. You may not believe me but every building thread will have a nice secret exposed at some point that will give you that 'click' you were looking for.

I don't know about other members but I check the site several times a day eager for updates and new threads. I follow every building thread because I know that at certain point I will find something to enrich my small knowledge in the matter.

When I said that 'anyone can buy a bunch of parts' I wasn't saying that you are only a parts collector. Please don't get ofended with this. What I really wanted to say -- and maybe I wasn't too wise when choosing my words (remember I am a foreigner) -- is that we all here are avid to see some of your wood milling and your rasps surrounded by sawdust!

:naughty:

I'll get on with the wood soon, just for you.

:fingersx:

Believe me. It won't be only for me!

DariusOliver

Reaction score
Paul, I would say that the main spirit of the luthier corner is exactly to show people your wood milling! Please don't get me wrong -- I really don't want to sound like an ass -- but the fact is that anyone can buy a bunch of guitar parts and actually never do anything with them. By the other hand there is not so many people out there really engaged on turn a dead lumber on a real guitar!

But as you have stated yourself with other words, how may those people not to get bored on keep seeing again and again more and more wood shaping? The answer is simple: as far as I have seen there is not only one way to do things in luthierie. Otherwise it is a continuous exercise of criativity and is amazing to see how people find interesting solutions while they are doing something 'boring' as milling wood. You may not believe me but every building thread will have a nice secret exposed at some point that will give you that 'click' you were looking for.

I don't know about other members but I check the site several times a day eager for updates and new threads. I follow every building thread because I know that at certain point I will find something to enrich my small knowledge in the matter.

When I said that 'anyone can buy a bunch of parts' I wasn't saying that you are only a parts collector. Please don't get ofended with this. What I really wanted to say -- and maybe I wasn't too wise when choosing my words (remember I am a foreigner) -- is that we all here are avid to see some of your wood milling and your rasps surrounded by sawdust!

:naughty:

I completely second that. For me the most fun on this forum (except for the hilarity of the actual go and forth in the comments :laugh2: ) is watching rectangular pieces of some dead overgrown plant get handled with amazing care, ease for some and struggle for others, being loved so deeply it gives the finished product a true and pure soul.

Maybe I'm weird here but the best part of any build thread is watching the wood! I look for every detail in every picture imagining some tired hands sliding and biting with tools and cutting with machines. Every grain I see is special, it tells a story, one of passion and ... goddammit I'm getting out of my mind here :laugh2:.

Like that it seems one just assembled some (carefully selected) random parts and calls it a guitar, for that one can just as well go to the shop and buy a factory piece of lumber with a famous name on it.

Share your ideas, share your errors and how you fixed it, show us every detail as we are here to learn from everybody and to help anyone.

We are the wood junkies. :cool:

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The only bits I didn't bother photographing, were the actual cutting of square bits of wood to a guitar shape. As I keep saying, I never really intended it to be a thread at all. It was only later, when I decided to go for a decent burst replica using all collected and newer bits, that I posted, so a lot of the early work is done already.

None of the really interesting stuff and nothing I do is any different to most everyone else.

However...

Now I have set out to create a high quality replica, I WILL post images of the build as it comes together. In detail and in full.

Right now, I am on hold til the last bits arrive and a couple of other jobs are out of the way. I used this thread also to get the correct parts assembled, which I am just about there on.

I like to have EVERYTHING together for a project, so as soon as it is, I will continue this thread if you all want.

I have final shaping and sanding to do, headstock veneer, drilling, attach neck, fill, lacquer, burst, age, etc etc. Not necessarily in that order. There is a lot to do. If you guys feel I missed, the more interesting part of the build, I'm sorry. I could stop now.

:)

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Perhaps, as one or two have already deemed it necessary to down vote the thread rating, it would be best to stop.

It seems to be rubbing one or two people up the wrong way.

Thanks to the people who rated it highly. Those who didn't have their own reasons.

TTFN

'59_Standard

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother about that 'star' sh*t, Paul. Its all a bit x-box, like... Kids will be kids. ;)

LPBR

Reaction score
Perhaps, as one or two have already deemed it necessary to down vote the thread rating, it would be best to stop.

It seems to be rubbing one or two people up the wrong way.

Thanks to the people who rated it highly. Those who didn't have their own reasons.

TTFN
I hope you don't think that I was one of the guys that gave a bad rating to your thread.

:facepalm:

Actually I never had noticed the rating stuff at the top (till today) and always asked myself why some threads had that stars in the list.

:laugh2:

Anyway, I really think that there is not a reason to 'stop'. I don't think that whose has under rated your thread has had this intention. You know, people only express themselves but you shouldn't take it personal because normally it is not.

About me, when I told about the guitar build I was just trying to reinforce the fact that everybody here would like to see your guitar getting in shape even if you think that it is unimportant. My intention was to incentivate you to show MORE and if I wrongly colaborated to make you feel frustrated I apologize.

:sadwave:

Latest Threads