Ultimate Burst Replica Build?

'59_Standard

Banned
Reaction score
I have seen the historic makeover site's boast of not spraying fades and putting back the true colour areas. But I guess they have customers who will wait til the dyes have faded. If they are spraying the clear coats after the fading process, it's still not historically accurate anyway.

So I'll go with the method I feel most comfortable with.

:)

It doesn't matter if they lacquer after its faded -its under the lacquer either-way. No addition, just subtraction. :)

Pete M

Reaction score
I feel like we have gone through the looking-glass. :dunno: "We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold..."

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Wow, ok, you like going the hard way about things. Those bursts faded in the sun, why not just do it that way. The lacquer ambered due to UV over time, why not just amber up clear in the sun and apply it after the fade (about a week or two of sun for the fade at most). I'm no fortune teller, but I can foresee a LOT of sanding off of tan lines because they're too sharp, or they've bled etc.

But each to his own

Thanks.

I suppose it will all be down to the individuals experience and expertise with the airbrush.

:naughty:

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, ok, you like going the hard way about things. Those bursts faded in the sun, why not just do it that way. The lacquer ambered due to UV over time, why not just amber up clear in the sun and apply it after the fade (about a week or two of sun for the fade at most). I'm no fortune teller, but I can foresee a LOT of sanding off of tan lines because they're too sharp, or they've bled etc.

But each to his own

I'd say the big difference as to why his technique makes sense in his situation is that he's in the U.K. where the sun never shines, versus HM which is in Florida, where the sun is always shining. UV fading will be quite different in the two locations. :thumb:

Frank

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
he's in the U.K. where the sun never shines

The way things are looking now, with flooding around the country and the worst start to the year on record, it feels like the sun will never shine here again. I could be waiting 55 years for it to fade.

Be easier to buy a Delorean.

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but has anybody manged to figure out how to put in an order from the Montreaux web site?

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Crazyparts DMC 59 Nickel aged tailpiece.

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

Amber Bonnet Knobs.

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Not got a lot done this weekend.

Spent Valentines weekend at one of the big UK Cities famous for quite a few things, but one especially. Can you name the venue?

cavern.JPG

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Calm down, calm down. ;)

Got it in one. I know it's not TOO hard, but it's a brilliant night out. Second time I've been in 2 years now and it was just as great. The atmosphere and the sound is unbelievable.

Although, it did strike me that wherever I went, the venue had the "original" Hofner bass that was played by Macca. Strange that, seeing as how he's still got one of the two he started with excluding the stolen one with early pickups.

scimitar

Reaction score
Ah... city of my birth - in 1965 as well.:applause:

Strange though, as I understand it the original Cavern Club was demolished back in the 70's presumably this is just a replica - seems appropriate.

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Ah... city of my birth - in 1965 as well.:applause:

Strange though, as I understand it the original Cavern Club was demolished back in the 70's presumably this is just a replica - seems appropriate.

Yes, there's a lot of literature in the building about the original venue being re-build faithfully in all it's detail. I wouldn't know how close it is because I never went when it was originally opened. I was too young. But I'm told it's pretty good. It's easy to imagine when you are there how it must have felt back then though.

Wonderful place, great city.

LPBR

Reaction score
When are you willing to effectively start to BUILD the guitar? We are at page 5 and till now I have only seen a bunch of stuff purchase...

:hmm:

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
When are you willing to effectively start to BUILD the guitar? We are at page 5 and till now I have only seen a bunch of stuff purchase...

:hmm:

Most of it is actually done as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm using some parts I've collected and with the help of the people here, correcting parts that are wrong. What's holding me up at the moment is the headstock veneer and inlay that is on order, plus a few minor bits and bobs like lacquer, grain filler and stuff. So I can't finish the neck and fret up etc, thus I can't glue up the neck to the body. At least not in the order I usually do stuff.

Anyway, there's no rush and as I also said earlier, who wants to see pics of rasps or routers and partially finished lumps of mahogany any longer?

I'll get on with the 'woody' bits in time.

This thread was really about creating a replica as well as I possibly can, which although there is importance on the lumber itself, there are plenty of threads like that. I simply wanted to skip all that and concentrate on the parts and end product.

To me, there are plenty of build threads and I don't do anything any different to the others when chopping a guitar shape out of wood. I probably do it worse than some if anything. If I had something innovative to offer in that area, I would, but I don't.

Just to illustrate. Here's how I glued the top on.

IMG_1361.JPG

And here is somethign a lot more interesting. My next project and first passion:

lammy.JPG

I documented the last Lambretta I built here:

Lambretta Restoration

I'll get on with the wood soon, just for you.

:fingersx:

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, a big part of the replica process is the lumber - the maple, the carve, a nice bit of wood for the back and a beautiful rosewood fretboard.

Latest Threads