UK bus driver mows down bicyclist

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Yikes.
I don't own a bicycle personally, but I own a motorcycle. Luckily only 8 days until I move out of this shithole! Bicyclists own the roads in Portland, especially downtown. They've even started devoting entire lanes to bicyclists, which causes major problems when cars need to use those lanes to turn down a street.

My God, how fvcked can one city be, to allow people to ride bikes?
That is just SO wrong.

rjshare

Reaction score
I don't know about where you live but there are people who drive even though they've been banned. Lost lenience and own large fine.

you are talking about someone doing something illegal, i am talking about someone doing something which could endanger other peoples lives LEGALLY.

rjshare

Reaction score
You do have a point there. But when said hypothetical dude takes to the streets on his Schwinn and starts riding in an unsafe manner, perhaps that's where Natural Selection accomplishes what the Laws of Men cannot.

thats right. pity the poor guy who is driving the car he swerves in front of. must be tough to live with the knowledge you killed someone even though you were doing nothing wrong...

Cobra427

Reaction score
do people walk long distances in the road? do cyclists merely cross from one pavement to the other? are you comparing apples with er... bicylces?

No, I'm comparing two types of users who don't pay to use the road. Whether just crossing it, or traveling the entire length of the road, they are both "using it". So I guess you could say I'm comparing apples to red herrings.

I ride a bicycle about 4000-5000 miles a year, mostly on rural roads. I see a lot of people walking along these roads for exercise. There isn't a sidewalk, and yes, they walk on the road, without paying any taxes to use them. Dang freeloaders! :mad:

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
Try commuting on a motorcycle, we are HATED. I can't even tell you how many times I've been intentionally run off the road. And I NEVER get in anyone's way. I CAN'T, I MIGHT GET KILLED!

I even had a woman at a wedding tell me to my face she tries to run over motorcyclists.

MOTORCYCLE = ONE LESS CAR.

If everybody rode a motorcycle, there would be a lot less traffic! :)
Someone told you that they intentionaly try to hit motorcyclists? And this person holds a driving license? That's actually pretty frightening to hear :shock: I must say I've never had any incidents with motorcyclists, and they're all actually pretty cool here.

Hell, I'd be riding motorbikes if I wasn't that scared of falling off them, and if my mommy let me haha :laugh2:

McCloud9

Reaction score

Small world, so do I! And you're not TOO FAR from the truth. The bike riders here, a good many of them anyway, seem to have an attitude that THEY own the road and cars &a busses better get out of the way. Im sure I dont need to tell you how many times I've seen bikes pull stunts that almost get themselves ran over! They do get run over and/or killed on a halfway regular rate. Especially in an area I drive by every day.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
the point being that cyclists get all the benefits of using roads and yet take no responsibilty for them.

Yes, but that is a fatuous assumption on your part, at least insofar as America is concerned. I cannot say much about the French, but most cyclists I know own and operate cars here.

Ergo, saying that we take no responsibility for the roads is wrong. Most do here in California.

stop playing devils advocate thumps just for the sake of it. your point is unquantifiable and therefore worthless. the fact is that cyclists - as cyclists - contribute nothing. what other vehicles they ride/drive is irrelevent. just because your car is insured doesnt mean it covers you causing a fatal accident whilst riding your bike does it?

You said specifically that cyclists don't pay to maintain the roads. As a vehicle-owner, I do exactly that, and I can use the road in any legal manner.

You simply can't admit that you're wrong: many cyclists do indeed pay for road upkeep, through their vehicle taxes.

Also, if I have a fatal accident on my bike, it's likely that I'm the fatality and not you, no? In which case my life insurance will settle your claim.

Let me know the last time a cyclist killed a motorist, Einstein.

McCloud9

Reaction score
For those who don't care for cyclists i'll say this... with the way this economy is going there are going to be a lot more people cycling around... share the road... its the law. On the other hand they have to follow the rules of the road just like anyone else. In some states you can get a DUI for riding your bike drunk. Wonder if the cell phone laws apply to them as well? Have seen that too. :laugh2:

This is the issue in my area, many bike riders in Pdx do whatever they like and if you and your car dont like it, its tough s#!t. I know this does not apply to all of them but it sure seems to apply to a LOT of them. I see them doing stupid stuff in front of me every single day. They show NO respect for motorists, yet demand respect from motorists and then you have a stand off that no one can win!
I know I dont want to have to deal with my conscious over a bike rider, and I am talking adults commuting to work, that thinks they rule the roads so darts in front of me. I would hate to run someone over, but I have seen more than my fair share in Portland that sure would make it easy to do...

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try commuting on a motorcycle, we are HATED. I can't even tell you how many times I've been intentionally run off the road. And I NEVER get in anyone's way. I CAN'T, I MIGHT GET KILLED!

I even had a woman at a wedding tell me to my face she tries to run over motorcyclists.

MOTORCYCLE = ONE LESS CAR.

If everybody rode a motorcycle, there would be a lot less traffic! :)

I mentioned motorbikes earlier in the thread...
I have ridden then in Massachusetts, Panama, and Texas. One clown in Texas in particular kept going out of his way to fvck with me,,, cutting me off, slamming on the breaks, trying to run me off the road etc - until I pulled my jacket back to show him the "hog leg". He hit the gas and disappeared.

All you guys who think this shit is cool, because the bike guy might be a jerk... He can't kill you, but you may well kill him with your selfish childish bullshit.

Or, you might catch a bullet some day too.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
its a generalisation because it is exactly that... all cyclists don't pay tax, all cyclists have no insurance, and all cyclists that I've seen here run red lights... and if someone were to hit them, everyone takes the side of the cyclist purely because they are the more vulnerable.

You're wrong. I cycle, and I own a truck. I pay taxes.

Here in California, I can, and would, get a ticket for running a red light; it hasn't happened to me, because I obey traffic laws, but I've seen it happen to acquaintances.

As far as insurance goes, the damage a cyclist can do to a car through negligence doesn't rise to the financial imposition that might require insurance, most of the time.

As far as everyone there taking the side of negligent cyclists, that doesn't excuse your inability to understand that broad generalizations are the mark of weak thinking.

I have no respect for anyone who uses the road and doesn't abide the rules and law, whether its a cyclist, car driver, truck driver or motorcyclist. They cause accidents, and make driving more of a danger, and more expensive for all of us.

No argument there. My point was that your generalization was thoughtless, and unsupported.

If you're not prepared to take full responsibilty of your actions and abide the law, then stay on the sidewalk/pavement.

The law here in California requires me to ride in traffic, and forbids me riding on the sidewalk due to the risk to pedestrians.

Your generalization, being unsupported, will be disregarded.

Deftone

Reaction score
Someone told you that they intentionaly try to hit motorcyclists? And this person holds a driving license? That's actually pretty frightening to hear :shock: I must say I've never had any incidents with motorcyclists, and they're all actually pretty cool here.

Hell, I'd be riding motorbikes if I wasn't that scared of falling off them, and if my mommy let me haha :laugh2:

Friend of mine was run of the road by a Bicyclist driving a car. A Mtn. Biker on her way to ride the trails. Fortunately he was on dual sport (and a damn good rider as well.) He rode right off the road and right back on. No problem.

Other cars saw it happen and boxed her in. They were going to hold her for the cops but he told them to let her go. Then he followed her, waited until she left on her bike and then let all the air out of all four of her tires. :applause:

morrow

Banned
Reaction score
My God, how fvcked can one city be, to allow people to ride bikes?
That is just SO wrong.
No you're missing the point. The way the city manages bikes is terrible. It makes it even more dangerous for bikers than normal bike lanes. It's an absolute joke. They get hit constantly around here. Giving them a semi-dedicated complete lane is suicidal because cars have to use it for turning AND drive across it.

Engel

Reaction score
I wonder if all of you Anti-cyclist types would be tooting your horns if the bus driver would have killed the biker. If you wish harm on anyone for any trivial reason then I feel you are not worth the powder to blow you to hell. Even being one, I am somtimes annoyed by cyclists but I acknowledge them while driving and give them their space. The video in the OP was totally out of line and could have ended much worse.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Small world, so do I! And you're not TOO FAR from the truth. The bike riders here, a good many of them anyway, seem to have an attitude that THEY own the road and cars &a busses better get out of the way. Im sure I dont need to tell you how many times I've seen bikes pull stunts that almost get themselves ran over! They do get run over and/or killed on a halfway regular rate. Especially in an area I drive by every day.

Amazing how everyone on the road has a shitty attitude except us.

The bikers, bicyclists, people walking, white people, brown people, black people, old people, young people, people in cars...
We are selfish and dislike sharing with others.

The only thing I really dislike is a strat.:slash:

AngryHatter

Reaction score
No you're missing the point. The way the city manages bikes is terrible. It makes it even more dangerous for bikers than normal bike lanes. It's an absolute joke. They get hit constantly around here. Giving them a semi-dedicated complete lane is suicidal because cars have to use it for turning AND drive across it.

Is there no solution?
If you consider Portland a shithole, I wonder what you think of as home?

River

Reaction score
Ooooh! Morrow is lobbying for more powerful and effective government management of the behavior of his fellow citizens! I haz me a coup!

Man up and take responsibility for your vehicle, the directions it's headed, and the obstacles in its path, Morrow. It's the right thing to do and, deep in your caustic little heart, you know it.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Ooooh! Morrow is lobbying for more powerful and effective government management of the behavior of his fellow citizens! I haz me a coup!

Man up and take responsibility for your vehicle, the directions it's headed, and the obstacles in its path, Morrow. It's the right thing to do and, deep in your caustic little heart, you know it.

You mean he is a democrat, now?:laugh2:

Latest Threads