UK bus driver mows down bicyclist

morrow

Banned
Reaction score
LONDON – A bus driver who authorities say deliberately mowed down a bicyclist in a road rage incident has been sentenced to 17 months in jail.
Gavin Hill, 29, of Frome, previously pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and causing grievous bodily harm.
On Friday, Judge Mark Horton handed down the sentences in Bristol Crown Court, telling Hill he ”used the bus as a weapon to bully and intimidate Mr. Mead,” BBC News reported.
The incident happened on April 5. The court was told Mead was biking to work when the bus drove too close to him.
When the bus stopped, Mead propped his bike against the front of the vehicle and exchanged words with Hill, who remained in his cab, according to BBC.

Closed-circuit television footage played in court then showed Mead pedaling off. The bus then overtakes him before sharply swerving to the left knocking the cyclist over.
Mead suffered a broken leg and his bike was crushed, according to news reports.

World News - UK bus driver gets 17 months in jail for mowing down bicyclist

Shocking CCTV shows Bristol bus driver smashing into biker - YouTube

I work in downtown Portland, OR, and we actually need bus drivers like that here! :laugh2::laugh2:

teame1

Reaction score
You seriously find this funny?
Considering his actions 17months is a soft sentence.

Lurko

Reaction score
I was tempted to do this several times in S.F. during the "Critical Ass" mass bike rides to tie up traffic.

Standard

Reaction score
A couple years ago i had to ride a bike to work for a while because i had no other option, it was the bike or quit my job. i have never been so scared in my entire life. People give you NO room, damn near run over you and THEN THEY HAVE THE NERVE to flip you the bird and yell "get off the road".

You wouldn't believe the look of shock when you give it back to them. Eventually i started riding with a hand full of AA batteries. Never did get a reasonable chance to throw any though. Pity, that would have been fun.

I'm not a hippie and wasn't doing it to save the planet or any of that nonsense but people don't seem to realize that bikes are required by law to be on the road, not the sidewalk, and they have every right to be there.

Reaction score
You seriously find this funny?

duh-duh.jpg

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score

morrow

Banned
Reaction score
We can send you some. I don't ride as much as I used to, and definitely not on the streets ... getting hit twice cured me of that bad habit. Neither time by a bus, thankfully. But I've seen that happen.
Yikes.
I don't own a bicycle personally, but I own a motorcycle. Luckily only 8 days until I move out of this shithole! Bicyclists own the roads in Portland, especially downtown. They've even started devoting entire lanes to bicyclists, which causes major problems when cars need to use those lanes to turn down a street.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

My first thought was rules of the sea should apply.....
Power gives way to sail (unless the sail boat is overtaking).
So - truck gives way to car.
Power gives way to pedal.
Wheels give way to feet.

Then I thought "screw that" and took the van out for a spin to scare old ladies at crossings.

Latest Threads