Uggghh...how to remove crazy glue off nitro finish?

TheWelder

Reaction score
Always try the least invasive approach first and work up from there. Dab some warm soapy water and see if it softens the glue so as much can be removed as possible.

Also, ditch the strap locks and just use Grolsch style rubber washers.

Socrates

Reaction score
Yeah makes sense...will try a bit of water/soap a few times and see what happens

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Yeah makes sense...will try a bit of water/soap a few times and see what happens
Not sure what experiences others have had with nitro and water, but I previously witnessed a damp cloth mist up and cause an opaque white patch in the nitro finish of a vintage 1967 sunburst Fender Jazz Bass. The effect was pretty much like when the wet bottom of a glass leaves a ring on a coffee table top. Luckily the white patch faded and the finish went back to normal after a couple of days drying out - but I wouldn’t be in a rush to repeat the process, that’s for sure!

none2low

Reaction score
Ok, but... When do I douse it in alcohol and light it on fire to kill the coooveed bugs?

Do I do this before, or after it's bath?

It's imperative that I must know this vital step at your earliest convenience. Please do not delay in your reply!

Cory

Reaction score
For god sake, DO NOT WIPE CA GLUE OFF A NITRO FINISH WITH ACETONE!

Show some photos. I would approach it like a drop fill.
This is spot on - tape a razor just leaving enough surface the size of the glue bubble, then carefully/lightly scrape it down until it’s flat/smooth with the rest of the guitar - sand and polish - you probably won’t even know it’s there if done properly - there’s videos on YouTube, etc. on how to do this - just follow the instructions and take your time - do not try to angle the razor and take it off all at once - lightly run the razor over the glue (holding the razor perpendicular to the guitar body) until you can’t feel/see a bump. Good luck!

premiumplus

Reaction score
Don't use alcohol either, it attacks lacquer too. Anything that's going to soften super glue is going to be harmful to lacquer.
I'd follow Erlewine's instructions. Blend it.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Send it to me. I will take that pressure of looking at the blob of glue off your shoulders.

VancoD

Reaction score
I was testing a binding jig on my dining room table - and ONE drop of acetone got flicked on the lacquer finish.

In hindsight I might have been better off just letting it sit and evaporate rather than taking a swipe at it with a rag - but it happened instantly and my instinct was to swab it off :(

20210423_091618.jpg

20210423_091623.jpg

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I was testing a binding jig on my dining room table - and ONE drop of acetone got flicked on the lacquer finish.

In hindsight I might have been better off just letting it sit and evaporate rather than taking a swipe at it with a rag - but it happened instantly and my instinct was to swab it off :(

View attachment 533196

View attachment 533198
Time for a drop-fill

Joe A

Reaction score
This is very tricky but you can dip a Qtip in acetone & lightly touch the glue with it. If you do it just right the glue will activate & be absorbed by the cotton & leave you less to buff & correct. I'd suggest a little practice on a different piece of material.

dasherf17

Reaction score
For god sake, DO NOT WIPE CA GLUE OFF A NITRO FINISH WITH ACETONE!

Show some photos. I would approach it like a drop fill.
Acetone eats into plastic...it'll definitely muck up any finish on a guitar...I tried to "clean up" keys on a Casio keyboard for my little brother...ended up buying him a new one.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
I don't think the straplocks were the problem here. In general I typically avoid supergluing anything to my guitars.
I absolutely get what you are saying, my comment was half jest, but also half serious. It is a very common experience that the use / installation / futzing around with mechanical strap locks can often result in damage to straps and guitars the users were trying to avoid in the first place.

Dribbled glue, slipped drivers, dents & dings, mangled strap ends, sudden disintegrating ball bearings, unthreading nuts, massive additional leverage on tiny screws and the like. For each convinced "I've used (Brand X) for twenty -five years" there's arguably a corresponding tale of misuse and/or misfortune or all-too-suddenly realized misplaced sense of security regarding mechanical locking systems.

Doing what I do for a living, I get to hear all the stories. My firm opinion is and ever shall be, a larger strap button with a heavy duty screw is the simplest, most secure and most elegant answer. Though, in the case of today's modern ever-thinning guitar strap ends from BIG Strap, I don't know for how long. The problem most often arises from that, though on G-brand LPs, many would agree the button placement is sub-optimal, resulting in two things working against you.

If you are supergluing your strap lock system, you probably have a nice thick strap end, though perhaps the keyhole is cut too large. Enter the jumbo strap button to save the day, and a whole lot of trouble.

/sermon

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think im wrong though,,as ive been thinking.I have used the water method to break down super glue before on certain things, but doesn’t super glue melt into Nitro?

Brazilnut

Reaction score
If you want to get it back to original, sand it down with progressively finer wet sandpaper [a little spit in the water for lubrication], and polish the fine sanding marks out with Finesse It II. 3M. If you want it really shiny, Stew Mac sells finer polishing compounds.
This is what Luthier's Mercantile International recommends, and it works.

zdoggie

Reaction score
It looks like the concensus is no acetone I concur its pretty brutal
i'd look at as many Utube videos as i could before launching a grand effort
not know ing the end result CA glue is worse than an open bag of BB's.
I feel your pain ,
zdog

TrackerDan

Reaction score
"with addition of toothpicks and glue" A classic repair except usually done in the field with out the glue, some times they last for years if you get lucky.

Latest Threads