Uggghh...how to remove crazy glue off nitro finish?

Socrates

Reaction score
So like a moron I accidentally spilled a few drops of crazy glue on the lower bout edge of my LP. Was installing Schaller strap pins (with addition of tootpicks and glue)....then smeared the glue trying to get it off which made it worse and instantly hardened.

I tried a bit of naptha with a soft cloth to get it off but no luck.

Any ideas how to get this crazy glue smear off the nitro finish?

speyfly

Reaction score
"Most super glues can be loosened with acetone, which you can buy at hardware or paint stores. Be Very Careful. The acetone may damage the lacquer so you have to decide which is worse: the super glue or loss of lacquer."

Google removing super glue from lacquer and start reading.

none2low

Reaction score
Whatever you do. Please DO NOT use acetone on a nitro finished guitar. Unless you are trying to remove finish.

The acetone will remove both the super glue and lacquer. Blending it is a good suggestion if its hazy and not proud of the surface. However I would suggest starting with 800 or 1000 grit wet/dry and going slow.

If its proud of the surface, you might try carefully scraping it with a taped razor blade until it's more or less level with the surrounding surface. Then proceed to sanding up to 2000 grit, polish and buff.

Socrates

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions guys... absolutely no acetone will ever come near my guitars...

Think I will just ignore it for a few days them if it really starts to bug me then I will explore the sanding route...

ARandall

Reaction score
Glad you have not thought seriously about the acetone.

Look at this vid. You are not doing the fill part as you already have the glue proud of the surface. You are starting from the scraping with the razor bit:

Socrates

Reaction score
Glad you have not thought seriously about the acetone.

Look at this vid. You are not doing the fill part as you already have the glue proud of the surface. You are starting from the scraping with the razor bit:
Thank you! Will watch this

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the consensus is do not use acetone.

That sucks. My stomach just dropped at the thought of getting crazy glue on one of my babies. I feel for you.

Hmm, acetone ... ace tone ... Ace Tones, new band name.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive found that keeping dried super glue wet, sometimes will break it up, try a damp paper towel with water and leave it on the spot,maby the combo of the wax on the guitar and that will take it off

Dont go near that guitar with Acetone

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the consensus is do not use acetone.

That sucks. My stomach just dropped at the thought of getting crazy glue on one of my babies. I feel for you.

Hmm, acetone ... ace tone ... Ace Tones, new band name.
Ace Tone manufactured amps, electronic drums, drum machines, electronic organs and pedals beginning in 1963. It was the forerunner of the Roland Corporation (1972.)

Socrates

Reaction score
Ive found that keeping dried super glue wet, sometimes will break it up, try a damp paper towel with water and leave it on the spot,maby the combo of the wax on the guitar and that will take it off

Dont go near that guitar with Acetone
Thanks...not a bad idea will try that

Latest Threads