UAD...Mesa Maverick

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Best way I can describe the tones: clean channel is a Lone Star Special with more hair available; lead channel is a warm & gainy 2204 cousin if eq'd right. The trick to the lead channel is very anti-Mesa...Treb off, Mid & Bass 70% minimum. Don't pay attention to the knobs in the pic; that's the previous owner's settings which sounded like shit. But I really dig this thing. This is a fun amp to play live, especially with a clean boost to kick both channels for solos. I took it to the local jam a few days ago and all the players were scratching their heads on it.

Li4npd4.jpg

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Never seen a head before, 35w? that thing is cool! Congratulations, nice score! Little bit jelly.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm eyeballing another local Mav right now; 1x12 version. That just might be coming home with John this weekend.
:cool2:

Lungo

Reaction score
Always been curious about those amps. Can’t say I’ve read anything bad about them.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Big John
I had a Maverick 1X12 combo and really liked many things about it. It could produce a wide variety of really great sounds (none even close to "Marshall-ish") and had fabulous reverb and was built like a tank! The downside was that within any of those great sounds, it was not very dynamic and did not respond well to getting variety of textures through volume changes and lighter/harder picking at the guitar! Kinda two dimensional, if that makes any sense! I tried to love it for years and went back to Fender Tweeds and Marshalls! My current favorite squeeze is a Marshall SV20H, into a '72 4x12, 1960B with Greenbacks! Glorious!
HNUAD,
Gene

Last edited:

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mav #2 under roof. The tones are cool. Running the gains low and goosing with a clean boost = enough dynamics for my flabby eardrums.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Cele Shadow that Mesa used in the 1x12 combo mates up pretty good with the Mav circuit. I still might do a few speaker swaps down the road and see how it gets along.

m8T3EDW.jpg

Choopyplz

Reaction score
If you ever decide you want to sell the head version, I'd be interested! There was a blonde one that sat on GC used for a while like a couple years ago, and I haven't seen a short head version for sale since.

There are some combos floating around still that I can find just currently. How are you liking the 1x12 now? I think the shadow speakers are pretty balanced, but I've swapped mine out in my 2x12 cab for a V30/G12M65 Creamback pair that works much better for me. At 30w you'd have lots of cool options.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm in talks right now with another Mav head owner, trying to convince him into swapping my combo shell for his headshell. The combo is a great sounding grab-n-go, but it's the heaviest 1x12 I've ever owned. I toyed with the idea of getting a Neo-Creamback to shave some pounds, but I like the idea of having two heads better. The Mav records into the mics like a gatdam volcano. Love it.

Choopyplz

Reaction score
Awesome! There is a 4x10 version of it at the local guitar center here right now -- may try and go check it out within the next couple days to at least get a feel for it.

Also yeah, even just the regular creamback models would have been on my list of potential speakers to try with this amp. My 2x12 cab has a g12m-65 creamback and a v30, great combo.

Last edited:

Latest Threads