Types of boost

Lhdr

Reaction score
If I understand correct there are many types of boost pedals, Clean, dirty, trebble, transparent (kloneish) and possibly others.

I’ve got a new Supro Delta King 1x12 (15watt) with onboard boost and drive switch. I freaking love this amp for low volume with the boost switch on and preamp on high, master low. It plays beautiful at very low volumes for practicing.

I’ve never bought a freaking pedal in my life after 40 years playing guitar, but want to get a basic delay and something else to work with this new amp. Mostly for lead tone. I’m a newbie at tone shaping But have been watching the pedal show.

Me thinks - possibly another boost pedal before the amps on board boost switch might give me something crazy good. The drive channel is great for fuzzy stuff but want to explore more clean overdriven tones. Ideas? Maybe a boost(y) overdrive? I’m not to into heavy distortion. I like some cleans cutting through for blues.

Every amp will sound differant with each pedal I realize, so this is a crap shoot I’m looking to narrow down and try something without spending too much in case it’s a dud. What would work with this amp and a low output les paul. Into Bloomfield, Clapton etc…

ARandall

Reaction score
Boosts add extra voltage to your signal.....pushing an amp that is already overdriven into more distortion and compression/sustain. A clean boost is simply taking the existing signal and adding more to everything. A treble boost is a distortion/boost that cuts out the muddying bass aspect of the signal (the thing that makes fuzz so bad for humbuckers).
Klon's are just a regular overdrive, but when you set them to low gain high volume they do the same as a clean boost. Any overdrive can be set the same way. SRV used a Tubescreamer this way into his Fenders
If you use any of these on a clean channel or without overdrive all you will get is a louder more obnoxiously blatty tone.

but want to explore more clean overdriven tones.
Clean overdrive is an oxymoron - do you want clean tone, or overdrive. Any decent overdrive pedal will do lower gain or on the edge of breakup either through lower dialed in gain or lowering the volume knob on your guitar.

I think here again we have the same scenario as your delay thread. You don't have enough info to tell us what you actually want, so any recommendations will be guesses, and span every aspect and give you nothing.
You'll have to (again) use some initiative and figure out what area you are interested in, then we can recommend some brands/models.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying some things ARandall. Having never experimented with these sounds (pedals) I’m trying to start somewhere. When I say clean overdriven, I guess I’m referring to clean amps pushed hard with limited effects in use. But…effects in use. My deal is everything must be at low loudness. Which is why I like the Supro.

Since it has on board boost and drive (fuzz), I guess I’m already getting all the tone possible from this amp.

I was thinking if I boost it a little more, it might get me a different tone instead of more of the same. I guess not. That said, I’m probably looking to try different taste (if possibly) of cleanish overdriven tone given the limited factor of using just this one supro. That said, it sounds like I’m looking for an overdrive or distortion pedal used very very lightly. Maybe something high gain, or bluesbreaker or Klone would be a good place to start then? Can pedals touch on replicating amps in a way?

Latest Threads