Two Notes Le Crunch Pedal

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hello all modelling fans....I'm quite curious about this pedal. Two Notes stuff is top-notch. Anybody try one of these, or the Le Clean or Le Lead? Have a bandmate using one?

Thanks in advance.

drew365

Reaction score
I recently made a list of nine tube preamp pedals that I was interested in and both the Le Lead and Le Crunch were on that list. But they were not near the top mainly because they don't have a boost function. The Electrode Blackbird was at the top of my list, but I ended up making a left turn and buying a Stomp! I put the Stomp on a board with a Power Stage 170 which feeds a 1x12. My first gig with it will be tomorrow night. I'll be walking in with a 1x12, small board, guitar. If you get a tube preamp pedal, I'd like to hear how it works out.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I recently made a list of nine tube preamp pedals that I was interested in and both the Le Lead and Le Crunch were on that list. But they were not near the top mainly because they don't have a boost function. The Electrode Blackbird was at the top of my list, but I ended up making a left turn and buying a Stomp! I put the Stomp on a board with a Power Stage 170 which feeds a 1x12. My first gig with it will be tomorrow night. I'll be walking in with a 1x12, small board, guitar. If you get a tube preamp pedal, I'd like to hear how it works out.
I have a lead on a used Le Crunch for $225. It looks like it would be perfect for my pedalboard. I have a Bad Monkey for boosting. Should be great if it responds like a tube amp.

drew365

Reaction score
It would probably work great in the context of a pedal board with other effects going into an amp. I was looking for a very compact rig of just a preamp pedal and the PS170. The fact that the Blackbird has three tubes made me feel it might work better for what I was looking to do since there would be no other preamp in my chain.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
It would probably work great in the context of a pedal board with other effects going into an amp. I was looking for a very compact rig of just a preamp pedal and the PS170. The fact that the Blackbird has three tubes made me feel it might work better for what I was looking to do since there would be no other preamp in my chain.
The plan is to go direct to the board and broadcast FOH. The SweatHogs have all gone to IEMs. Right now, I use a Two Notes Torpedo Captor with my Orange Rocker 15 Terror and pedalboard. Works great, but since I don’t need to use a cab, I thought it might be nice to simplify my setup further.

drew365

Reaction score
That should be a good choice for direct since the Two Notes will have a good emulation on their direct out.

tzd

Reaction score
I have never used them myself, but some time ago, when I got the Torpedo Captor and CAB M, which are great products, I also checked out the Le Crunch etc pedals - just reading and watching reviews - and the impression I got was that they were not as good as their cab emulation products.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I have never used them myself, but some time ago, when I got the Torpedo Captor and CAB M, which are great products, I also checked out the Le Crunch etc pedals - just reading and watching reviews - and the impression I got was that they were not as good as their cab emulation products.
Most reviews I read are positive and the Two Notes demo vid sounds killer (albeit over computer speakers).

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
So, of course, I bought the thing. Works well and takes pedals like a champ. I don't know if this will be the basis for 'my sound', but for rehearsals, it'll be perfect.

Jeepers, some of you must think I'm a stubborn fucker....I finally dip my toes in the amp modelling world....and it's based around a tube tone. :rofl:

Reactions: tzd

drew365

Reaction score
Great. I'd like to hear how it works out after you've tried it live. I was totally set to buy the Effectrode Blackbird. But I waited too long and woke up one morning with a "better" idea. So far my little Stomp / PS170 board is doing it's job. But I feel like the tube preamp idea is an itch that won't go away.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Great. I'd like to hear how it works out after you've tried it live. I was totally set to buy the Effectrode Blackbird. But I waited too long and woke up one morning with a "better" idea. So far my little Stomp / PS170 board is doing it's job. But I feel like the tube preamp idea is an itch that won't go away.
Helix Stomp? That should be as good (or better) than anything a preamp pedal could offer, no?

drew365

Reaction score
Should be. But since I don't have a glowing tube under my foot, I'll never know till I try one. I'm pretty sure that will get alleviated at some point in time.:yesway:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Should be. But since I don't have a glowing tube under my foot, I'll never know till I try one. I'm pretty sure that will get alleviated at some point in time.:yesway:
After playing on this a few days, here are a few thoughts.

This is a good unit, if somewhat incomplete. The onboard analog cab sim is alright, but where the Le Crunch shines is when using the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin. There, I can add a choice of cab sims as well as simulated power amp options. With these added features, I was able to coax some excellent tones for Hard Rock and lighter Heavy Metal.

That said, I will want to add to my setup before settling on it. I'm thinking the Two Notes CAB or at a minimum, the Mooer Radar will be necessary to get the sounds I want out of it. I think we rehearse this weekend, so I'll bring along my macbook and use it to get some extra cab and power amp sims.

Last edited: