Two Les Paul's to choose from. Should I go with my Heart or my Head?

PauloQS

Reaction score
I’d get the R9. I sold my first Gibson Les Paul Standard to get an R9. The Standard was special for many reasons, like being the first guitar I ever used on a stage. Yet, I’d still do it all over again. Totally worth it.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I say get the R9. Here is why:
1) The 1980 is a non-Kalamazoo modified guitar, including the refret, neck re-finish, and pickup rewiring. While it will only go up in value, its trajectory angle is definitely minimized by these items compared to if it was untouched.
2) I agree with a previous post that it seems like the prices of historics are in a bubble that may burst a bit. That being said, these are still CS guitars and will go up over time even if the "bubble" does break.
3) Absence makes the heart grow fonder ... You may get the 1980 back and go, "This is not as great as I remember". This is especially true considering guitar manufacturing in 1980 was NOWHERE near as good as it is today, as a general rule overall.

el84ster

Reaction score
I agree that the feel of the R9 is likely to be better than the other but...man that 80 is the coolest heritage 80 I’ve ever seen! Gorgeous!!

I think value will be a toss up between the 2. There are so many historics I don’t think they’ll be as rare in the market as the 80s down the road, but the work makes them about even in my mind.

this is a tough one! Just add that things often aren’t as awesome as we remember. But that 80 is beautiful!

Knoby

Reaction score
The 80 is no longer the same guitar you had 30 years ago. Also your memory of it will have evolved over the years. Nostalgia is what it is, and sometimes better as memories. It's like visiting an old girlfriend after 30 years. Not what she used to be (especially after 2 kids and 3 divorces).

You really need to hold it and play it to know if it is worth it.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The R9 is almost surely a "better" guitar. On the other hand, I really like the look of the 80, and if you like the specs and the price is right (I'm thinking $1,800 max), go for it.

I bet that the R9 weighs a full pound or two less, which is something to consider as well.

Last edited:

p90rules

Reaction score
The R9 is almost surely a "better" guitar. On the other hand, I really like the look of the 80, and if you like the specs and the price is right (I'm thinking $1,800 max), go for it.

I bet that the R9 weighs a full pound or two less, which is something to consider as well.
It's a lot more money than that... He's wanting £3500 for it... Non negotiable.
I think he knows how much I want it, but I'm starting to re evaluate things and thinking what else I could get for that money.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think he knows how much I want it, but I'm starting to re evaluate things and thinking what else I could get for that money.
I don't know what the market is like over on your side of the pond, but over here that's just laughable/ridiculous. Go get the R9, I'm sure it's a better guitar, anyway.

jskidder

Reaction score
That's about $4900 USD, which is the very high end of what those go for in the US. Given the refret, refinish, and pickup mods I wouldn't touch it at that price.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Sound and playability would be my main concerns.....Money not being an issue, I would choose whichever instrument sounds and plays the best. Never gave a damn about R9 hype or nostalgia...FWIW

Torshalla

Reaction score
2013 R9 are amazing guitars... I am not familiar with the other model, but I think you should try the R9 if you have not...

David Garner

Reaction score
I'm torn between "you know the one is a good guitar because you want it back" and "you sold it for a reason.

I'd at least take a look at the R9.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get both.

Ultimately, both your heart and your head will torment your nights until you satisfy both of them.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
He's a wanker. Buy the R9, make a rockin' clip of it, and make sure he sees it.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know, my favorite ever Les Paul was broken in shipping when I moved about eight years ago. I thought that I would miss it forever and nothing could take its place, but I bought an R9 and really haven't thought of my old guitar since. Now the R9 is my favorite Les Paul ever!

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Umm, yeah, the R9!

Not old wood, but nicer in other aspects.

Latest Threads