Two les paul juniors

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same price ones a '55 with a partial top respray after the posts where strengthened, not sure if that would be normal or not after such a repair, the other is a '58 with a a headstock break, looks well repared and not visible from front. Which would you buy?

fretboarder

Reaction score
55's do tend to lean and is common for longer bushings to be needed to stop any further leaning, sometimes when the bushings are removed there can be some damage to the finish around the posts.. if they are both singlecuts then the price would be a factor,, but then id probs go for the 55 once the lean is fixed its nothing to worry about IMO..

any pics?? i had a 55 that needed the lean to be fixed that had a very thick burst spray job from the factory wonder if its the same guitar..

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are for sale on ATB guitars website, I was just looking and thinking thats not a lot of money, ML prices basically, obs the other answer is play them and see. will be passing the shop next month, might call in.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I looked at the photos. I would go for the ‘55. It looks like an excellent touch up. I really don’t like headstock breaks at all. I would never buy one.

Dilver

Reaction score
Tough call… visually, I’m not crazy about the thick burst on the 55 and I’d prefer the bridge/pickup spacing of the 58, but the non original jack plate, knobs and tuners, take it down a few notches. Headstock break doesn’t bother me if it’s well done. Are you looking for a player or a collectors piece?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough call… visually, I’m not crazy about the thick burst on the 55 and I’d prefer the bridge/pickup spacing of the 58, but the non original jack plate, knobs and tuners, take it down a few notches. Headstock break doesn’t bother me if it’s well done. Are you looking for a player or a collectors piece?
it would be to play not collecting.

Frutiger

Reaction score
Considering the partial refinish was done to hide a bridge post repair I'd say that's a big area to repaint, what else is hiding under there?

Ordinarily I'd rather have the headstock repair and find the missing parts - it needs correct ferrules, tuners, nut, knobs, strap buttons and jack plate. All easy enough to find, but extra cost if you want to get it closer to stock. The jack plate on it is clearly very oversized, so be worth seeing what's under there to check there's no extra damage.

Considering both have issues, it really would be a case of playing them and seeing which plays and sounds better.

crashbelt

Reaction score
I traded the 55 to ATB. Its a really great sounding Junior with a big neck - on the heavy side for a LPJ which I quite liked.

The original posts were leaning and when my tech pulled the ferrules to replace with longer ones some wood came away. He did the wood repair and refinished the yellow part of the top to cover it. He did it very well, and the original checking lines are still visible under the new finish, so it was not stripped right back. The extent of the wood repair can be seen under blacklight.

I don't have a dog in this race (its not a consignment) so I can say that its a very good player LPJ with a well executed partial top refin.

Whether its worth the money or how it compares with another LPJ - I can't comment.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest Threads