Two amps at once!

Case24

Reaction score
I bought a Radial Bigshot ABY switcher so I can run both my 18 watt and my 5E3 clone together. What a great sound they are together! Bottom end from the Deluxe and brightness of the 18 watt. Sounds like one big amp.
2FD617A2-79B1-41ED-B947-FF2A751C6718.jpeg
E44C4E86-DBF5-48D9-BBA3-5329C26E79F8.jpeg
5389402A-EA19-4450-9DC7-B8A1274927B7.jpeg

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I used to sometimes do this when my amp was too small for the gig and I would use my spare, too.
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
I just can't go there anymore...I refuse to fall in love with a sound that necessitates carrying TWO amps.

Case24

Reaction score
I used to sometimes do this when my amp was too small for the gig and I would use my spare, too.
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
I just can't go there anymore...I refuse to fall in love with a sound that necessitates carrying TWO amps.
Yeah, not super practical without a roadie. But it’s a cheap way to get a new sound.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I know a fellow who does this. He pairs one of Tweed 12 amps with a BF Princeton.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Long before the internet, I owned a brand new 1978 Pro Reverb that I had saved my pennies for. I always figured it was my own fault that everybody sounded better than I did. Around 1985, my head was blown open by a 56 Deluxe that I traded a beautiful guitar for because I HAD to have it.
In those days we still played to loud for the Deluxe alone (I could rehearse with it and it was heavenly), but I found that I could get a REALLY good time by chaining the 2 amps together. Not sure why, but I sure wasn't the only one to notice!

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I could play louder on stage I used a 2 amp setup for quite some time, Had a 18 watt Marshall clone and a Bugera V55. Yea I know but that Bugera was actually a very nice amp for cleans. Distortion sucked but back on point the combination was tone out the ying yang you could get blending the dirty amp with the clean one.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wait...you have a Deluxe with...bottom end?
My 5E3 clone has bass. I originally had a Weber 12A125 in it, and it had bass. It's now got a Weber 12F150T in it, and it's got monster bottom end.

It makes sense. It's got 0.1 uF coupling caps, so it's not trimming off any low frequencies between amplification stages.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
My first tube amp was a preamp into a stereo power amp. I eventually got bored and sold it so I could try other things, and for years there was always something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Even when I got the head version of that rack setup it always seemed a little thin.

I eventually figured out it was the stereo power section. I didn’t use effects and just plugged straight into the front, so I thought the stereo feature was redundant. But... due to imperfections, each power amp sent a sine-wave that was slightly different from each other, which produced a thickening of the sound.

I tried using two different amps for a bit and liked the thickness, but hated the way they responded to my playing. I ride the volume and tone knobs a lot for different sounds and didn’t like how the two amps would clean up at different rates and react different to my picking.

In the end, I wound up running two nearly identical amps. They both have the same preamp and are dialled in identically, but one is 25w 6V6 and the other is 50w EL34. It allows me to mix the small, scooped dying amp 6V6 sound with the midrange punch and clarity of the EL34s while retaining a consistent feel from the way the preamp reacts with my playing.

As an added perk, the two power sections have slightly different reaction speeds, so it’s almost like I’m double tracking myself.

afjungemann

Reaction score
dual amps is the way to do it! The RV head and sideways 212 isn't part of the rig. I am using a Rockerverb Combo and an AD30TC combo. The AD30 is set up for all the chime and crisp edge of breakup tone and the Rockerverb is set up for the thick gain. I use both of them at the same time and offset them ever so slightly with a Strymon deco in stereo. That is basically my whole setup and then I just ride the volume. They clean up at different rates but I love the sound from them the whole time so I am not too concerned.
IMG_2525.jpg

Neffco

Reaction score
This is what I like about my new amp. Basically two amps in one cabinet. I can blend the dirty and clean. It fixed my need for the two amp rig. But it’s one of only one made.

Definitely enjoy what you got going there. Two amps sound great, and those look to be a good combination. Not that big of a rig to gig either.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Two amps are the bomb. That's my set up...but two of the same amps running stereo FX.

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
I have 2 complementary amps at home (Vibro Champ and a JCM800), but I use the stereo outs on a Digitech JamMan XT looper to split my signal. My ears are not good enough to determine if the amps are out of phase, i.e. if something like the Radial is better. Maybe I'll just spring for the Radial anyway, because the Digitech is noisy.

-Jay

Case24

Reaction score
I have 2 complementary amps at home (Vibro Champ and a JCM800), but I use the stereo outs on a Digitech JamMan XT looper to split my signal. My ears are not good enough to determine if the amps are out of phase, i.e. if something like the Radial is better. Maybe I'll just spring for the Radial anyway, because the Digitech is noisy.

-Jay
I like the Radial because of its features. My amps were out of phase with each other and there was a bit of induced hum. The Radial solved both problems. Made in Canada too.