Two amps at once? Absolutely amazing!!!

Daniel.S

Reaction score
As many of you know I recently got a Diezel Einstein 100w head and paired it with a new Marshall 1x12.
Well I played it and tweaked it until it sounded perfect by itself.
So now I’ve acquired an ABY pedal so I can run both my Marshall DSL40C and my Diezel at the same time.

If no one has tried running two amps at once, I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

I can’t believe how good they sound in unison! Absolute tone perfection!

Sorry for the long and probably unnecessary post! :D

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted this picture in the stereo amps thread but I’m a believer. I am currently running a very Jack White ish silvertone and fender twin set up. To me it’s wonderful. Running through a stereo chorus and stereo delay.

Make sure to check your phase so all your speakers are working together.
92EB8220-6AF6-4BFC-97AB-0C25C46EA12C.jpeg

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I used to have a '78 Pro Reverb that was a TERRIBLE amp for the kind of overdrive needed for Rock/Blues; but when run chained to a tweed Deluxe (which wasn't loud enough on it's own), it sounded glorious.

sonar

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to run a pair of Deluxe Reverbs.

Not sure why as they wouldn’t suit my style... but hasn’t stopped me from periodically thinking about it.
I ran a pair of Vibrolux Reverb's for a brief period. Great tone, but a pain to lug around. Really fun to experiment with wet/dry setup and stereo options with effects. One amp was a loaner from a friend and he eventually wanted it back.

I occasionally pair up a Princeton Reverb (w/12") and a Tweed Deluxe. Very cool, but I couldn't handle the volume all the time.

Sometimes I pull out a HT-1R to match up with my BF Vibro Champ for the house, which is great when I want to get my Led Zeppelin on or setup more than a few effect pedals, but the added soundscape kind of defeats the purpose of a low wattage/volume amp for home jamming.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Awesome! How do you like the Bones?
It works very very well! I plugged it all in a set it up and played around with all the settings on the amp whilst trying to listen to the speaker phasing. It didn’t sound right, so kept tweaking the knobs and checking the phase switch thought hm still sounds kinda dull...
oh yeah the buffer! Durrr!
So cranked up the buffer dial and straight away gave me back tone.
Kept playing with the phase to hear what sounded better.
But I still couldn’t get it to sound good. I remembered I had to change my dead strings so left it and tried again the next day. It’s finally perfect haha!

GitFiddle

Reaction score
As many of you know I recently got a Diezel Einstein 100w head and paired it with a new Marshall 1x12.
Well I played it and tweaked it until it sounded perfect by itself.
So now I’ve acquired an ABY pedal so I can run both my Marshall DSL40C and my Diezel at the same time.

If no one has tried running two amps at once, I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

I can’t believe how good they sound in unison! Absolute tone perfection!

Sorry for the long and probably unnecessary post! :D
If you want a real treat, plug into something like a Boss DD-3 with a second "B" dry output. Run the wet signal to one amp and the dry to the other. Separate them about 3 or more feet apart. Amazing! You can do the same with a Boss Chorus also. I used to do that at bigger venues. It only sounded that good to me onstage. The PA was usually a mono feed and only mic'd up one of the amps, so the audience didn't really hear the stereo image.

mdubya

Reaction score
I split my signal between two monitoring sources about 50% of the time. This weekend I had a ping-pong tremolo going with tape delay and reverb that was other worldly.

I have always been a straight up the middle, classic, dry Marshall tone guy, but my horizons have been expanding. It gives me hope!

garybaldy

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but do you end up with half your guitar signal going to each amp with a splitter box? If so I assume you're only driving each pre amp half as much?

Harley90

Reaction score
Massive sounds with multiple amps for sure, Mick Mars made me a believer. :dude:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but do you end up with half your guitar signal going to each amp with a splitter box? If so I assume you're only driving each pre amp half as much?
He’s got one of the best AB/Y pedals on the planet. It has an excellent buffer to minimize any signal loss.

ARandall

Reaction score
I think current splits, but voltage does not......the amp works on the voltage of the signal.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
It works very very well! I plugged it all in a set it up and played around with all the settings on the amp whilst trying to listen to the speaker phasing. It didn’t sound right, so kept tweaking the knobs and checking the phase switch thought hm still sounds kinda dull...
oh yeah the buffer! Durrr!
So cranked up the buffer dial and straight away gave me back tone.
Kept playing with the phase to hear what sounded better.
But I still couldn’t get it to sound good. I remembered I had to change my dead strings so left it and tried again the next day. It’s finally perfect haha!
Think of how much time you can spend to get one sounding great. Now, you have to do it for two of them...and make them sound good together. I found this exercise required a lot of work to make happen, and would need to be tailored every time I played it in a different room/venue. That's in the end why it wasn't for me. But enjoy! It can be fun, especially when you split your FX off, i.e. chorus to one amp, flanger to the other, sounds magic once you get it right.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Think of how much time you can spend to get one sounding great. Now, you have to do it for two of them...and make them sound good together. I found this exercise required a lot of work to make happen, and would need to be tailored every time I played it in a different room/venue. That's in the end why it wasn't for me. But enjoy! It can be fun, especially when you split your FX off, i.e. chorus to one amp, flanger to the other, sounds magic once you get it right.
I’ve got a DD7 so I could try the stereo effect.
I’ll take a photo of my board when I get a chance.
Both amps are tuned perfectly.
I’ve taken my inspiration from Adam Jones of Tool. So pedalboard looks pretty much identical to his. I’ve got a MXR micro amp to help bump up the signal loss when engaging one of the effects loops.

garybaldy

Reaction score
I think current splits, but voltage does not......the amp works on the voltage of the signal.
Thanks
Back in the early 70s I used to 'jumper' the inputs on my simms watts 100 head. Then, in the later 70s, I'd run 2 AC30s with a splitter cable. Back then, I never thought of this matter.

Latest Threads