Twelve-pound Les Paul - too much?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I don't mind a heavy guitar at all. That said...how is it possible to have a 4 pound difference between two supposedly identical guitars? I can understand a pound, maybe a pound and a half...but how do you get 4 pounds out of similar materials?
Weight relief vs non.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
A 4”, thick leather strap made all the difference in the world. I used my Northern for our entire last gig.

For those of you who can’t take the weight, have you ever considered your stance? Guitarists generally employ terrible ergonomics, poorly fitted straps, etc. Can you paradigm?
Firstly - 4" Strap.
I couldn't agree with you more. A total must ! My Custom is 12+ lbs. A wider strap distributes the weight better and makes for better comfort. It's even padded a little. The difference is really like night and day.

Next - And very important. Posture.
I get very animated when I play. I can do this for hours with no punishment to my body.

BUT

Recently, I've taken on vocal duty. ( :laugh2: I said duty)
I find myself standing still, in front of a mike, hunched over and who knows what . . .

Not as much fun :(

Not only did it affect my back and neck, my left hand, or more specifically fingers, started to carpel tunnel out on me. Poor posture also led to ineffective breathing. And hey! Guess what! That really sucks if you have to sing.

Now I understand why singers that play guitar have the mic raised so high up.
It's a posture thing.

1600272809516.png

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't mind a heavy guitar at all. That said...how is it possible to have a 4 pound difference between two supposedly identical guitars? I can understand a pound, maybe a pound and a half...but how do you get 4 pounds out of similar materials?
Any plank is "similar" to another in basic features ;) but density isn't visual, really. If my 9.6 lb Tribute was as thick as a Standard and didn't have 9-hole relief, it would probably weigh well over 11 lbs. Adding a 1/4" slab to the back, and about 7-8 cubic inches to plug the relief would make a big difference.

bum

Reaction score
I honestly don't know man, mine is over 12 and has traditional weight relief, it's a head scratcher for sure.
I am sort of scared or mentioning this - I hear no tonal difference between mine and my pals much lighter Les Paul.
I love the beast of a thing but it's like playing a piece of furniture sometimes

Roxy13

Reaction score
It's not just weight relief. I've never actually owned a singlecut that was weight relieved. My 2014 LP Traditional was 1/2 an ounce over 10 lb. I have 2 MIJs also not weight relieved that are under 9 lb. Most of them are between 9 and 10, and I have 2 that are pushing things closer to 11 lb! It's just the differences in the wood density. I have some idea that older wood might be less dense than newer wood, but I don't actually know if that is true.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Firstly - 4" Strap.
I couldn't agree with you more. A total must ! My Custom is 12+ lbs. A wider strap distributes the weight better and makes for better comfort. It's even padded a little. The difference is really like night and day.

Next - And very important. Posture.
I get very animated when I play. I can do this for hours with no punishment to my body.

BUT

Recently, I've taken on vocal duty. ( :laugh2: I said duty)
I find myself standing still, in front of a mike, hunched over and who knows what . . .

Not as much fun :(

Not only did it affect my back and neck, my left hand, or more specifically fingers, started to carpel tunnel out on me. Poor posture also led to ineffective breathing. And hey! Guess what! That really sucks if you have to sing.

Now I understand why singers that play guitar have the mic raised so high up.
It's a posture thing.

View attachment 488978
I'll bet that Ricky weighs a lot. And little old chain-smoking Lemmy stood tall with one until his last days.

gball

Reaction score
I had a '77 Custom that was a tick over 12 pounds, and I gigged that guitar for many years, but I was a much younger man at that time - which was also an era when we were specifically looking for the heaviest ones we could find, so it didn't seem strange because I had a "good" one.

I have a '79 Custom now and its right around 11 pounds, and my aging body can only handle it on a 4" leather strap for an hour/hour and a half before I have to sit down, so although I no longer gig I would not be using that guitar these days if I did.

Whether the weight is too much is certainly up to the individual. My LP Traditional gets the most play these days and at 9.6 lbs. I can stand indefinitely with it, but who knows, in a couple more years maybe that one will be too much also.

Sinster

Reaction score
No I'm talking about that specific new 60's unburst standard. They have one that's a hair under 9 pounds, and that one was 12 pounds. Should be made to the same specs with similar materials. Where does 3+ pounds come from?
Maybe the neck just a tad bit thicker or using tungsten for the hardware? ;)

pondcaster

Reaction score
Biggun' sold, or so it shows now.

Different strokes... Probably sounds great but oh my aching back!

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
My Burny lc70rr is 12.4....so what is the issue here.
:rofl: :rofl:

fred-paris

Reaction score
I personally think that a 12lbs Les Paul is a pain to play even seated. 10lbs is starting to be a problem when playing with a strap for long period of time (3h rehearsals or gigs). The first Les Paul I purchased was a brand new '96 Black / Gold Studio Les Paul with an ebony fretboard. It was a great guitar but a lot heavier (4,5kg or 10 lbs) than my Strat and Tele. I didn't pay that much attention to its weight (as I had always read or been told that LP were heavy guitars) until I started palying with a band. Now I am paying attention to the weight of guitars I purchase and own less than 4kg (8.81 lbs) Les Paul. It's much more comfortable to play with a strap and they sound awesome. The heaviest Les Paul that I have seen so far was an early 80s Standard that was scoring a 6.8kg (11lbs 16oz)! Who would play such a tank?

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I have zero problem with any Les Paul under 10 pounds, but the problem with this one is: there are just too many other lighter Standards out there to make it worth dealing with a boat anchor. Unless you were getting it for the deal of the century, I would just move on to the next. There are people out there who are convinced the heavier the better, so let them have it. That said, I’m shocked there are people that won’t buy over 9 pounds - you’re missing out. My BEST Les Paul (out of the dozens I’ve owned) is 9 lb 10 oz. I have another great one that is 9.2 lbs. But my 2nd favorite is 8.1 lbs, so it’s gone to show me that weight really doesn’t mean sh*t. It’s about what is comfortable for YOU personally, in combination with tone and playability. And you can have great tone and playability on an 8 pounder or a 12 pounder (IMO at least):

100LL

Reaction score
If your set has one song here or there where you play the LP then having a beast on the stand might not be annoying.

What do Flying V's typically weigh in at? Yes, I'm GAS'ing for one.

afireinside

Reaction score
No bigguns here. My 2014 traditional ( no relief) and 16 traditional (9 hole) are both at 9.5 lbs. My '89 epi standard is 7lbs! And 2020 epi standard is 8lb.

I also have a '82 Peavy T40 bass i play with some guys from time to time. Its 11.75lbs and is a killer on the old lower back even w a 4" leather itallia leather strap. I can only stand it about a hour to hour and a half and im done.... My back isent wonderful from 17 years as a medic/firefighter but 9.5 and lighter is what i aim for.

Red Beard

Reaction score
It never mattered to me until someone brought up the subject
If my back or shoulders hurt always blamed a crappy strap or to much standing in one spot
Then the tone subject with weight came up
But never could wrap my head round it cause ive had heavy guitars that were dead flat and ive had semi hollow bodys that felt light ring for years
Sooo i always remebered what a long time drummer said to me at a rehearsal one night
“Weight,,,,,will you girls just shut up,turn up and just freakn play”!!
“Try sitting back here beating skins for a 1hr set”.

Latest Threads