Twelve-pound Les Paul - too much?

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I was perusing the guitars at Sweetwater's page and ran across this Les Paul Standard 60's that tips the scale at a whopping 12 pounds 1 ounce. I think it's probably the heaviest Les Paul I have ever seen for sale new.
To each his own (I do like heavier guitars) but this one might be a bit much for me even. Just thought it was interesting:

Pappy35

Reaction score
I saw that one and posted about it somewhere. It's been poted there for a few weeks. Wildwood had one of their "Selects" come in a couple of weeks ago that was 11 3/4 pounds but it was gone in less than a week. There is a market for heavy guitars (or people don't realize until after the fact that weight matters).

I wouldn't buy one that was an ounce over 9 pounds myself which is why it took a month of browsing for LPs before I found one that had the Holy Trifecta (thick neck, "10-top", and sub -9 pound weight).

Edit: if you're still shopping, do check out Wildwood's election. They have a TON of 60's Standards in stock.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
My '13 Tribute weighed 9.2 lbs. I swapped the P-90s for Mini humbuckers and added a Duesenberg vibrato. Now it weighs 9.6 lbs.

I don't gig. I once had a '74 Custom that made my neck hurt when I gigged a few times. I never weighed it.

BDW60

Reaction score
Wouldn’t touch that anchor with a 10 foot pole. Can’t imagine why anybody would.

Latearrival

Reaction score
I don't think it would put me off too much - it all depends on how it plays and sounds! I'm sure plenty of Bass players play instruments in this region weight-wise/! Funny how you never hear them complaining!..... My LP Trad is 9.3 lbs and that is absolutely fine for 2 hour gigs. Would another lb or two make the difference? I'm not convinced that it would!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My Northern is about 11.5 lbs. It did suck for gigs until I got myself a wide strap. Jeepers, it can be done...this little junkie was able to pull off three hour shows with a boat anchor strapped on....and when he switched, it would be to a double-neck!

LPaddicted

Reaction score
I was perusing the guitars at Sweetwater's page and ran across this Les Paul Standard 60's that tips the scale at a whopping 12 pounds 1 ounce. I think it's probably the heaviest Les Paul I have ever seen for sale new.
To each his own (I do like heavier guitars) but this one might be a bit much for me even. Just thought it was interesting:

hecking ugly ! :eek2:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I've seen another 12 pounder at one of the vendor's. Not for me!

Injector

Reaction score
If it has a great neck, great fretwork, no aesthetic issues and sounds fab I'll suffer a heavier one but never over 10lbs. Ideally very close to 9lbs.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
owned a 13 pound standard faded for about a year.sold it for what i paid at the orlando guitar show.

bum

Reaction score
Mine weighs over 12 and it's OK, but it does weigh on you when rehearsing for a few hours.
I have the Gibson Slingshot strap which helps a lot

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Mine weighs over 12 and it's OK, but it does weigh on you when rehearsing for a few hours.
I have the Gibson Slingshot strap which helps a lot
A 4”, thick leather strap made all the difference in the world. I used my Northern for our entire last gig.

For those of you who can’t take the weight, have you ever considered your stance? Guitarists generally employ terrible ergonomics, poorly fitted straps, etc. Can you paradigm?

Roxy13

Reaction score
12 is too much for me and I do have a couple of piggy ones that are between 10 and 11 lb. I don't gig and if I did, I would just take a lighter guitar with me.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't mind a heavy guitar at all. That said...how is it possible to have a 4 pound difference between two supposedly identical guitars? I can understand a pound, maybe a pound and a half...but how do you get 4 pounds out of similar materials?

PauloQS

Reaction score
Not for me. There are plenty Standard’s out there that sound fantastic, have an amazing neck, and plays phenomenally that weigh considerably less than that.

Latest Threads