V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this here:

bMMbpKq.jpg

Last edited:

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of these is the choke and the other is the OT, but you'd wonder which was which if it weren't for the leads.

Wretched excess, everywhere.

WwQYlpT.jpg

(In case anybody is wondering, the choke is on the left, :hmm::D)

Last edited:

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is the chassis I'm going to use:

KaIRmNe.jpg
KaIRmNe.jpg

It's from Mojotone, who do some nice hardware. It's for a 5F4, and that is pretty much exactly what this amp's going to be (go to the head of the class, BluesRock :D). The mods will be very minimal this time around.

Last edited:

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
However, some mods there must be. Not least because some of the bits and pieces don't fit.

This is a vintage 1958 tweed Super:

u9gaTiX.jpg

This is my chassis, loaded up with the Mercury iron-mongery:

wyw0C3y.jpg

The power transformer is fine, but there are no holes that match the OT in that position, and none at all that match the choke. (Note the difference in the size of the choke, BTW. That MM choke is HUGE! :shock: Can anybody say 'well regulated power supply'?)

So some drilling will be required. Not that this is really a 'mod', it's more a 'mild pain in the arse'. :fingersx:

Last edited:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Splat, it's surprising to see the OT is mounted between the PT and choke. It would be an interesting experiment to do a low freq hum test (120hz or whatever you have in OZ) to see if the noise floor is lowered by swapping the choke and OT.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a good point, Don. When I first started trying to make these fit I instinctively put the choke after the PT, and then placed the OT farthest to the right as they're viewed in that pic. I've seen pics of modern Super and Pro builds, and they arrange the indcutors that way, too.

But the vintage amp had 'em around the other way (wrong way?), with the OT next to the PT, and the choke to right, as in the pic above. Weird, but it seems to be a tweed Fender thang.

Just to be clear, these two pieces don't fit in either configuration with the existing holes in the chassis. So whether I do it vintage or as reason suggests (i.e., the other way around! :D), I still have to drill some holes.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As brilliant as Leo Fender was, he payed little attention to noise. His ground schemas and layouts were very poorly thought through, leaving much room for improvement.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as far as I can tell, it doesn't look like his earthing schemas are thought through at all. It just seems to be 'earth it where it is' and that's about it!

BluesRock

Reaction score
It's for a 5F4, and that is pretty much exactly what this amp's going to be (go to the head of the class, BluesRock :D). The mods will be very minimal this time around.

I'm looking forward to following this build. I just picked up a 1950 5A3 Deluxe that needs some minor work. I've been studying schematics and amp circuitry relentlessly this past month. Please keep us updated. :thumb:

Latest Threads