Tweed Super Build

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Plug a stock Tele or Strat into, especially on the bridge pup, on 10, then let me know how quiet it is!:rofl:

:doh:
Gene
Well, yeah, especially in front of the TV, but, hey, that’s why they invented humbuckers. Turn the Tele down and it gets dead quiet.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I played a Victoria 35210 recently tweed super copy n it just sounded great. It's very much alike and different than my tweed bassman I think the super emphasizes more of the upper mids vs the bassman has more lower mids. But both great nonetheless. The one I loved got sold at my local guitar shop I'd love to get one or another bassman

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I played a Victoria 35210 recently tweed super copy n it just sounded great. It's very much alike and different than my tweed bassman I think the super emphasizes more of the upper mids vs the bassman has more lower mids. But both great nonetheless. The one I loved got sold at my local guitar shop I'd love to get one or another bassman
What was your experience with the Victoria? I’ve got two clones made from different kits. One has almost no headroom, gets loud at 3 and gets very fizzy sounding when pushed. The one I just built gets loud much more gradually, clean headroom until about 10. The funny part is that I changed out the OT and speakers from the first unit but it’s still fizzy. Those same speakers and OT in the second unit are very smooth. I’m thinking cheap pots and caps in the first unit may be the problem. But I’m also going to compare the voltages inside the two amps this weekend to see if they are drastically different. I may also rebuild the tone stack to see if that makes a difference. One amp has Mojotone Dijon caps and the other has orange drops but I can’t believe they could be that much different from each other.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lower resistance provides more negative feedback to the grids of the output, reduces the gain (and cleans up) the output section.
Add a 100k pot in series with the resistor and experiment until you get a tone you like, then measure the pot+56k resistor and sub in a resistor of the same value.... Or keep the pot and add a knob to the bottom of the chassis.
You were right on with the NFB. I took out the 56k resistor on my other Super and tried a few things. I took out the resistor completely used a plain wire and the amp got very clean and quiet. I really liked the sound with a 10k but it might be a little too clean. 25k sounded great as well. The original 56k resistor caused the amp to get fizzy sounding too early for my taste.