Tweed "Stinger" case

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I happen to own both the tweed and the black Gibson Custom Direct cases. Both have the identical sky blue interior. I spoke with the head of the Cedar Creek (TKL) Custom Shop about these last year. He only had enough material left to do two more Les Paul cases, and said they were not going to get any more in that color. They told me that color velour was specified by Music Machine and provided by Gibson. Also, they cannot put the Gibson or Historic logos on them. I also spoke with Gary Walko, who owns the rights to the Lifton badging and logo, about doing a special run of vintage Lifton style cases with the tweed and blue interior, but finding the exact color velour proved to be nearly impossible. I had the similar idea of doing a MLP type special run. All the samples I checked looked close, but not close enough to the Stinger cases. Hope that helps

RocknRollGypsy

Reaction score
I happen to own both the tweed and the black Gibson Custom Direct cases. Both have the identical sky blue interior. I spoke with the head of the Cedar Creek (TKL) Custom Shop about these last year. He only had enough material left to do two more Les Paul cases, and said they were not going to get any more in that color. They told me that color velour was specified by Music Machine and provided by Gibson. Also, they cannot put the Gibson or Historic logos on them. I also spoke with Gary Walko, who owns the rights to the Lifton badging and logo, about doing a special run of vintage Lifton style cases with the tweed and blue interior, but finding the exact color velour proved to be nearly impossible. I had the similar idea of doing a MLP type special run. All the samples I checked looked close, but not close enough to the Stinger cases. Hope that helps

I still would love to do a MLPF run... maybe a different interior color? Someone should do this...

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll stick with the new 2012 brown cases...I got my second one this week...

tspoon5150

Reaction score
John, By no means was this thread aimed at you or any other specific person on the forum. I was just trying to clarify that the cases were not exclusive to the Stinger guitars. The idea for the blue interior of those cases was actually stolen from the "Spider Man" guitar case.

I would like a spider man MLPF case, Big enough order I'm sure they could do it.

It does not have to have the Hawaian Blue interior. The Marron looks cool.

Is there any place that can build these as a custom order?

Reety

Reaction score

great post thanks for that. Too bad on the color, i think the tweed + blue is really nice looking.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I still would love to do a MLPF run... maybe a different interior color? Someone should do this...

If we can't do a run with the correct blue interior, how 'bout burgundy? I've got a few of those, and really like the looks:

Tweed_Case.jpg

Tweed_Case_Interior.jpg

Either that, or just go with a blue that's close to the other one. It doesn't have to be an exact match, IMO.

Oh, and if you think a custom run of cases from TKL/Cedar Creek is going to be cheap...think again.

Frank

7gtop

Reaction score
Frank and all ... :wave:

I love the blue lining .... :D

My R7 stingy came with a regular black gib. cust. hist. case .

jamman

Reaction score
Now that is funny. I think I have seen that case; seems like it is a black case with the blue interior that is in these tweed cases. I think Jamman has been keeping his Stinger in a case like that until he got the tweed case!

That's correct JimmyAce, :thumb:
I had a case with a blue interior which I sold this week . It was made for the
"Customer Direct" program Gibson ran at 1 time . I'm not sure if it was made before or after the SM guitars were made . It's lining is a bit darker than the MM cases . It was as close as I could find to the tweed case . What I was told about that program , Is that those customers were able special order all the specs. of the guitars they wanted . I would imagine a blue interior for the case would have not been a problem .

Reety

Reaction score
Oh, and if you think a custom run of cases from TKL/Cedar Creek is going to be cheap...think again.

Frank

i don't know that cheap is that relevant in this forum... speaking for myself, i spend a disproportionate amount of $ when compared to my skill set. At this point... who's counting really...

Reety

Reaction score
oh and the burgundy with the tweed is actually nicer than burgundy in the black cases. I think the contrast helps make it fancy :)

dcooper

Reaction score
that looks nice
If we can't do a run with the correct blue interior, how 'bout burgundy? I've got a few of those, and really like the looks:

Tweed_Case.jpg

Tweed_Case_Interior.jpg

Either that, or just go with a blue that's close to the other one. It doesn't have to be an exact match, IMO.

Frank

RocknRollGypsy

Reaction score

Tweed_Case.jpg

Tweed_Case_Interior.jpg

Frank

I kinda of dig the red interior... it doesn't really matter to me. And when we spend $5000+ on our guitars, and all the extra hardware (including correct color plastic...) I really don't think a custom case order is really THAT expensive :thumb:.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i don't know that cheap is that relevant in this forum... speaking for myself, i spend a disproportionate amount of $ when compared to my skill set. At this point... who's counting really...

I can relate, completely! Oh, except the part about "skill set". I don't have one of those. :shock:

Reety

Reaction score
I can relate, completely! Oh, except the part about "skill set". I don't have one of those. :shock:

neither do i. I'll keep this post of yours and the link to your collection. It'll come in really handy the next time my wife gives me grief "why don't you get better at playing before buying more guitars" "honey look... i mean i'm reasonable compared to some of these guys :) "

now about those cases...

btw, 93170 is sick looking... :wow:

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
neither do i. I'll keep this post of yours and the link to your collection. It'll come in really handy the next time my wife gives me grief "why don't you get better at playing before buying more guitars" "honey look... i mean i'm reasonable compared to some of these guys :) "

now about those cases...

btw, 93170 is sick looking... :wow:

Actually, Reety, that link only shows my Historics. Doesn't include my vintage guitars and replicas. :cool: :shock:

And thanks regarding the 93170 comment...it's one of my favorites too.

Frank

Reety

Reaction score
Actually, Reety, that link only shows my Historics. Doesn't include my vintage guitars and replicas. :cool: :shock:

And thanks regarding the 93170 comment...it's one of my favorites too.

Frank
:lol: :applause:

now i want to see the full list :)
I'm a beginner compared to some of you guys, 99 R9, 10 R0, 74 LPC Black 20th anniversary, and 2 esp's
Morgan

RAG7890

Reaction score
:lol: :applause:

now i want to see the full list :)
I'm a beginner compared to some of you guys, 99 R9, 10 R0, 74 LPC Black 20th anniversary, and 2 esp's
Morgan

:lol: :lol: :lol:..........full list...........:hmm:............put aside a week to browse through Frank's collection. :thumb:

My 2c FWIW, Cedar Creek Cases are worth the money.

:cheers:

Latest Threads