Tweed "Stinger" case

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
For some reason many people seem to be misinformed about the tweed Custom Shop cases that Dave Carpenter had made in 2003 for The Music Machine store. And they are being referred to and sold as "Stinger" cases. Although some of the Stinger Series guitars were sold with these tweed cases, they were not exclusive to those guitars. Dave had them made as an alternate choice and when you bought a reissue guitar you got to make the choice of which case you wanted. MANY Stinger Series guitars were shipped from Music Machine in the stock Lifton cases that they came from Gibson in. I dealt with Dave in 2003 and bought guitars from him in both cases. I've owned many new Stinger Series guitars and most came in the stock case and some were even bought with a black Historic case. And I've also owned regular 2003 reissues that were bought from Music Machine in the tweed case. It was really just your choice when you bought a guitar.

Eric Duane

Reaction score
Yea I second that, would love to find these for sale somewhere. No matter what they're called.

Sharky

Reaction score
Hey Mark, any idea where one could find one of these cases? :naughty:.

does it have to be a Gibson branded case? If not, there are many on the market at half the price of a Gibson branded one. TKL makes them IIRC, or was it G&G quality cases?

RocknRollGypsy

Reaction score
does it have to be a Gibson branded case? If not, there are many on the market at half the price of a Gibson branded one. TKL makes them IIRC, or was it G&G quality cases?

I actually looked at those brands, but no luck... guess I'll keep looking.

Sharky

Reaction score
this is one quite cheap on ebay: Tweed Hard Shell Case for Gibson Les Paul Guitar | eBay

Thomann has them here in Germany: Thomann E-Git Case LP-Style Tweed

and there are others cheap to have. So cheap that they are obviously fareast products

and if you are really keen on having one and can't find it, get into contact with TKL and order some yards of their tweed material which looks supernice on their website, strip your case and put the tweed on it. I bought some Tolex for an Explorer case from them some months ago and it worked just fine

tspoon5150

Reaction score
Why don't we just get a big order here on the Forum if they that popular,
That way everyone who missed out would be happy.

I was looking around for one and like a previous post, did not care for
a cheap inferior one.

That would be cool. A large enough order, I'm sure it could be done.

Sharky

Reaction score

a cheap inferior one.

it could have a MLPF custom Logo printed on for sure as long as there are no patents or contracts between Gibson and the maker

Pete M

Reaction score
I personally like the blue crackle effect interior of the stinger cases.. Any of these other tweed cases got that?

RocknRollGypsy

Reaction score

a cheap inferior one.

Sign me up. MLPF logo sounds cool too.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think these cases took on the Stinger name in the description because the Stinger series is so popular, and perhaps there are more guitars from that series with those cases than guitars not from the series with those cases. At least it seems to be the case when it comes to what gets posted on this forum. I own two Stingers. One came with a black case and one came with a Lifton case. But those two guitars have two cases. I found a couple of the Tweed "Stinger" (haha) cases and put them with my two Stingers. The black case that came with my R9 Stinger actually has a metal tag on the outside of the case that says Stinger - now that really is a Stinger case:

12.jpg

11.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

13.jpg

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, perhaps they are called Stinger cases because it is easier to say "Stinger case" than "tweed case with blue interior". Plus it sounds cooler. :) And the part about the blue interior would need to be specified since it distinguishes the Stinger cases from other tweed cases with different color interior - which were not used with Stingers. But when referring to the Stinger cases with blue interior as Stinger cases, not only does it make it sound like the cases were used exclusively with Stingers, but it makes it sound like other cases were not used with Stingers. I like calling them Stinger cases because I am too lazy to type / say "tweed case with blue interior". So if someone hears me call one of them a "Stinger case", please know that I understand that they were used with a few other guitars and Stingers also came with black cases and Lifton cases.

Reety

Reaction score
Also, perhaps they are called Stinger cases because it is easier to say "Stinger case" than "tweed case with blue interior". Plus it sounds cooler. :) And the part about the blue interior would need to be specified since it distinguishes the Stinger cases from other tweed cases with different color interior - which were not used with Stingers. But when referring to the Stinger cases with blue interior as Stinger cases, not only does it make it sound like the cases were used exclusively with Stingers, but it makes it sound like other cases were not used with Stingers. I like calling them Stinger cases because I am too lazy to type / say "tweed case with blue interior". So if someone hears me call one of them a "Stinger case", please know that I understand that they were used with a few other guitars and Stingers also came with black cases and Lifton cases.

what he said? i have to say i love that "stinger case" (TCWBI ?) IF anyone has one they want to part with hit me up.

jamman

Reaction score
Damn , It's only a case . Good looking 1 at that . I agree , many connect the 2.
Stinger case and Stinger guitar . They just seem to go together , for whatever reason .

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score

John, By no means was this thread aimed at you or any other specific person on the forum. I was just trying to clarify that the cases were not exclusive to the Stinger guitars. The idea for the blue interior of those cases was actually stolen from the "Spider Man" guitar case.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
John, By no means was this thread aimed at you or any other specific person on the forum. I was just trying to clarify that the cases were not exclusive to the Stinger guitars. The idea for the blue interior of those cases was actually stolen from the "Spider Man" guitar case.

Now that is funny. I think I have seen that case; seems like it is a black case with the blue interior that is in these tweed cases. I think Jamman has been keeping his Stinger in a case like that until he got the tweed case!

Reety

Reaction score
anyone know if TKL will do custom orders? They have a tweed model, but the handle and the interior are funky.

dcooper

Reaction score
I bought a 2006 R0 from a major Gibson dealer in 2006 and they gave me the option of 3 different cases. I really like the black gibson custom art historic case with the dark burgundy interior. I have quite a few of them but they sent me the pictures of the tweed with the blue plush interior and it looked really cool so I got it.
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Latest Threads