Tweed Amp & JBL!?

jwinger

Reaction score
Was previously running a Celestion ceramic cream back in a tweed amp I have

When playing the amp through my UAD Ox Box I tried a bunch of speakers and the JBLs, surprisingly, really stood out as a great match. The Ox Box isn't a real speaker, but it's normally a pretty good indication of what will work in the real world in my experience...so...

Stuck in an old JBL D120F I had laying about. I really like it. Very very vocal sounding. And very very loud. And the touch sensitivity of a no negative feedback circuit combined with the dynamics of a JBL is really quite special. Well, it feels it at least!

The amp isn't a regular tweed deluxe. It started off as a Speed Shop 6l6 tweed deluxe with GZ34, pushing 40w. Its been modded to meet my needs as a go to amp for any gig...my other amps like my 65 bandmaster and matamp series 3000 are too loud for a lot of places and, more, importantly require me drag a separate cab along! I have a great 72 deluxe reverb with a jbl but sometimes you need it to do a couple of things it can't...more mids for example...

So a few years back I had this amp modded by a great tech in London (builds a top end boutique name you may know) for a backface tonestack with a mid control as well as treble and bass, but still the tweed 6l6 power section in cathode bias. I have a three way switchable negative feedback.

I'm sure someone smart will say it's not a tweed now haha! Well I gigged it as a regular tweed for about 4 years before the mods and I can say with the mids dialed in and negative feedback off its still got a real tweed character, although a bit cleaner than it previously was.

Here I'm running about 4-5 on the volume, in low power mode (20watts or so). Bass and mids on 5, treble on 4, negative feedback off. Using a Kingsley page for drive and to attenuate volume, hit with a clean boost in front to give it some extra push.

Guitar is a vintage 54 Les paul

Reverb is UAD golden reverb. Just a quick iPhone test recording

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
That sounds great!

My experience with tweeds is that they do benefit from brighter, higher-powered AlNiCos.

Tweeds are notorious for that loose bottom end and overall darker tone. A bright, higher-powered loudspeaker will help balance all of that out and retain the proper feel when the amp gets cooking.

I use a Scumback S75-PVC in my 1960 Deluxe and it solved all of the tweed shortcomings for me.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love old JBLs.... A bud has a JBL 12" in one of his old F BF PRs.... Good lawd..... Totally different amp.... and loud....

jwinger

Reaction score
That sounds great!

My experience with tweeds is that they do benefit from brighter, higher-powered AlNiCos.

Tweeds are notorious for that loose bottom end and overall darker tone. A bright, higher-powered loudspeaker will help balance all of that out and retain the proper feel when the amp gets cooking.

I use a Scumback S75-PVC in my 1960 Deluxe and it solved all of the tweed shortcomings for me.

Yep...bright speakers and tweeds are a great match .... You need top end to cut in a band mix.

I've not tried the specific speaker you mention but those alnico blue types are also a very good match to tweeds in my experience so I'm sure that sounds mega!

JMP

Reaction score
Wow! That’s some tasty playing and a killer rig.

Latest Threads